CMP info on the .22LR shortage

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
If you're not on the Civilian Marksmanship Program mailing list, you should be.

Having gotten that off my chest, I thought I'd pass on some of the latest email I got from the CMP. Concerning the availability of .22LR, they say:

The CMP has been notified by ammunition manufacturers and distributors to expect price increases and significant delivery delays for all calibers of ammunition, especially for .22 rimfire. The price increases and delays apply to orders we have already placed with the manufacturers. Prior to 2013 CMP received deliveries of truckloads of ammo within a few weeks of placing orders. We are now being advised, as in the case of Aguila .22, that it may take several years to receive all of the 35,000,000 rounds of Aguila ammo we have on order.

As a result of this situation, CMP has placed orders with several different manufacturers for large amounts of ammunition in various calibers. We expect to receive only a few pallets at a time because manufacturers and distributors are rationing the ammo to their customers. As we receive ammo, we will contact customers with oldest orders already in place with the option to purchase whatever we receive at the new prices, cancel the order, or remain on the list for the manufacturer they originally requested. All price increases to CMP will be passed on to the customer. CMP will not be profiting from the increase in prices.

We will continue to accept orders for ammunition, with the understanding that the wait time for customers between placing an order and receiving the ammunition may be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years....
Now, that's sad, but it's also from one of the most reputable places possible. Given the plethora of rumors from sketchy sources, I thought this evaluation of the situation from a trustworthy source deserved to be spread a bit.

Any thoughts?

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
Do you think this backlog is because manufacturer's are concentrating on other calibers and no 22? I ask, because their is plenty of other calibers out there.

biglucky

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
Do you think this backlog is because manufacturer's are concentrating on other calibers and no 22? I ask, because their is plenty of other calibers out there.
I was talking to one of the gun counter guys at Gander Mountain the other day and he told me just that. They had a manufacturer rep from their ammo manufacturers come through for the store's grand opening and they told them that companies just weren't making any .22LR. They ramped for all the other calibers and stopped making .22 for whatever reason. Profit margin I would assume.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
Wow, I feel better about the six boxes of Federal Target .22LR I just bought about 20 minutes ago!

And before anyone asks, four of those were bought and paid for by someone else; I was just doing them a favor and picking it up.

As the old adage goes, buy cheap and stack it deep! :D

Cheers! M2

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Dayum, that explains the .22lr price increases on the ammo bots the past few weeks. Figured something was up besides the usual hoarding and demand.

From a "few weeks to a few years.... "?

Something else is rotten as hell in Denmark ... I'd bet a bucket of 22lr that's not the "rest of the story".

Edit: Thanks for sharing that!

TheDan

4th Best Member
TGT Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
They had a manufacturer rep from their ammo manufacturers come through for the store's grand opening and they told them that companies just weren't making any .22LR. They ramped for all the other calibers and stopped making .22 for whatever reason. Profit margin I would assume.
That's something I've thought was going on for quite some time, even before this last panic, but I'm not sure it make a lot of sense. The equipment for making .22 is going to be drastically different from everything else. Are the .22 production lines just sitting unused or did they pack them up off the floor and put 9mm equipment in their place?

Lord1234

Oct 30, 2013
Makes me happy I have a bunch of 22 sitting here in the house. I don't expect to run out any time soon...

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
Why was there was a bunch of .22 longs on the shelf at Academy today? Somebody's making the oddball stuff.

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
I was talking to one of the gun counter guys at Gander Mountain the other day and he told me just that. They had a manufacturer rep from their ammo manufacturers come through for the store's grand opening and they told them that companies just weren't making any .22LR. They ramped for all the other calibers and stopped making .22 for whatever reason. Profit margin I would assume.
The Gander Mountain counter guy don't know jack. He is just passing on more bad rumors, and we will believe almost anything at this point.

To clear things up -- Manufacturers like ATK (Federal, CCI, Blazer), Remington, Fiocci USA, and Winchester have DEDICATED rim fire lines (.22/.22 Mag/.17HMR, etc.). Not to mention foreign manufacturers like Aquila, RWS, Norma, Ely, SK, Wolf, and many others.

Those production lines are used only for rim fire. Winchester built a new plant in Mississippi and it only produces rim fire, until the next expansion includes additional center fire and some military grade ammo. Rim fire lines cannot be converted to center fire unless the company wants to shut the plant down and completely retool.

Now, if all the major companies quit making rim fire, they would have to close those dedicated plants and lay off the employees.

The only bottle neck could be the availability of raw materials. Then, the ammo companies would prioritize raw materials to the most profitable lines.

There is no shortage of raw materials to make ammo, other than propellant and priming mixtures, which are not the same for rim fire and center fire.

The fundamental problem remains that far more customers are chasing a fixed number of rounds, many LGS now sell all their rim fire allocations on Gun Broker for higher prices than their regular customers would pay in store, and scalpers buy from retail stores then re-sell at gun shows, flea markets, and on the internet.

So, there is plenty of high priced rim fire available on Gun Broker and gun shows, but not locally.

When Academy lifted its restrictions on everything but .22LR ammunition, I saw the owner of a local "internet and gun show" ammo company clean out every round of CCI .22 Magnum, Monarch .30 Carbine, and Monarch 9mm that store had in stock. He paid cash, rolling off C-Notes to cover the cost.

So, if you have seen all those brands of ammo for sale on one table at the gun show, then you'll know who your friend is.

Anyone who would buy "Monarch" from any one but Academy should know better.

Top Bottom