• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Might be a slim chance :) but I trust alot of you crazy people

I have programed and ran a single tool knee mill for the last 20 years.

We just purchased a used HAAS mill center about 20-25 years old. So most of the Youtube stuff does not match with the programing.

I have managed to get everything up and running other than getting the correct offsets on the 25 tool vertical tool holder.

I can set up and run "so far any" single tool with the correct z axis offset.

If I add a 2nd to 10th tool and just use the "measure offset" for each tool they do not go to the correct depth.

All tools are set to 9" above the bed then offset to the cutting surface.

I know G54 is for "setting the height" for the offset from the 9" to the bed current parts that number is -2

I am just wondering for each new tool do I have to set a new -2 distance like G55 for T2 G56 for T3 ect ect or does each tool only call in G54 as its a constant number.

Thanks
    Texas SOT

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Meh nevermind G55+ has to do with a different offset like if you use 2 different height vices

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It's been forever but when I had my vf2 but one thing I did was set all tools in the tool changer to whatever offset I wanted as long as it was going to be above all possible work I was doing, then when new work would be put on that table I would just set the new offset off one tool, moving the whole library for all operations.

Don't get in the habit of offsetting each tool. It's slow.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I'm not going to machine again unless on my own business adventure. I still have a good test indicator and edge finder if you need. Good stuff not junk.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I'm not going to machine again unless on my own business adventure. I still have a good test indicator and edge finder if you need. Good stuff not junk.

ya it came with the touch off tools thanks for the offer though

I am just not getting why I can correctly set tool 1 put tool 2 in the spindle and do exactly like I did on tool 1 and it will stop inches above or below the part lol.

I guess for a while it will be a single tool machine :)

I think I need to figure out how to reset everything. It has over 400 programs stored for motorcycle parts I am guessing it has some "setting" that offsets the tool in the other holders someway.

thanks for the response.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    ya it came with the touch off tools thanks for the offer though

I am just not getting why I can correctly set tool 1 put tool 2 in the spindle and do exactly like I did on tool 1 and it will stop inches above or below the part lol.

I guess for a while it will be a single tool machine :)

I think I need to figure out how to reset everything. It has over 400 programs stored for motorcycle parts I am guessing it has some "setting" that offsets the tool in the other holders someway.

thanks for the response.
    Id have to see the control and menu again to remember how to do it but all that sounds like is you're tool height offset already has a value.

Wish I was there I know it would come back to me. I'm thinking back...The menu for each tools AND a menu for tool height offsets both can have values. Two different menus. That's why when I set my tool changer up, I zeroed everything. Then touched off each tool using a tool height offset gauge, one of those spring loaded plates in a cube with a dial face. Then once all tools are set to that plane, you use g54 or whatever you decide G55, 57, so on. I think HAAS lets you pick a crap ton. I would often have to use different ones for different operations using the same tool changer. But anywho you get where I'm going. Once you set your tools, then just use the same tool height gauge on top of your work and use the control to tell you how far down you have to bring all your tools.

But, I'm sure you have a value you missed in one of those menus.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    It sounds like a good problem to have. Wish I could help. Multi-head CNC mills are awesome.

I am just glad I have a shaved head or I would have pulled all my hair out by now :).

I have a few parts that have to be done ASAP then I will go back to figure out the multi tool turret its a 24 pocket turret. I think the most tools I have ever used was 6 on a part :)

Its amazing how fast the damn thing moves and changes tools first few times even with the doors closed I jumped out of the way on tool changes.

So far the only issues with the actual machine has been a low battery warning that I have warned the owner needs to be fixed before the machine looses all of the machine programing that is stored in memory and not on a hard drive. So when the battery goes its going to be a Haas mechanic that has to come reinstall it all.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Shady, get your self a cheap desktop...If you have an old screen, I can give you my old desktop in storage. If it still works it's got mastercam 14 I think. All you would have to get is the RS232 cable and adaptor and set the bod rate. It's got all the definition files already set up for three axis.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    AND>> it might be why the previous owners sold it....
    That does happen but on a VF mill repairs are easy. The VF2 I used was not good enough for many jobs when we got it but by making money I was able to rebuild it. Re did the changer and all the moon clips. Often all that's needed are new contact bearings for the z and for x & y just new bearings for the ball nuts. It will tighten up. If you see parts come out of spec for radial movements, at least change those ball nut bearings.

Hey Shady, this is the menu you want to zero each tool. So If I recall that's the bottom under the f1 button.
    haas-keyboard.png

Then once those are cleared you can make sure your g54 or whatever you feel like using is zero in the other menu I'm having a hard time remembering right now. Wait...I think page down in that menu might bring up g54 and other offsets. That sounds right. Yeah page down once or twice.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    It sounds like there are offsets already stored for each tool. You need to zero each tool at the work surface level, and then just adjust the G54 once for all tools when you setup your project.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yes that's what we are verifying. If he sees all tool offsets and work off sets say zero, then that machine should be fine. But problems in the z will be heard. If he hears that head clunking/thudding then at the very least new contact bearings are needed. But if he's saying 2.000 off, I haven't seen one that bad. That slop would be scary.

I assume Shady hasn't ran any programs yet? If so did he review the g code? Always review the g code. For example: I remember in each line header it will list tool and programmed offset. Just make sure it matches up. I always did this even after reviewing the code in cimco edit. Once uploaded, I checked the code again. Rare, but once in a blue moon the code will goof up.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Thanks for all the info.

Its a work machine and we have current solidworks and bobcad on several machines. But thanks for the offer on mastercam. Bobcad is or was super simple back in the day. Solidworks purchased them and started moving it over to work more like solidworks

I think I may have resolved the issues with the Z axis. I had never used the "TOOL CRIB" on bobcad as we had a single tool mill. I got 2 tools to change and cut at the correct depth.

Its currently cutting parts but I have been running it as a single tool machine while working out the bugs. We are catching up on a backlog before I get more time to play with it.

I have to say for now its way faster and way nicer than the knee mill lol. And no chips for 30ft around it.

the speed it travels is crazy.

So far
    any issues have been from programing and not on the Haas end if it. err well other than a huge coolant leak from inside bed. Nothing a tube of silicone could not fix

And ya from the picture you posted I zeroed out all the tools to start fresh and think I have it figured out but I thought that a few days ago too.

spending some time on youtube for bobcad tool crib and haas tool setup I think I was over thinking it and making it more complex than it really is

again thanks for the help

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I think I have it down now ran a program with 3 tools and it worked out.

I was setting the work offset off of the top of the part and not off the block I used for setting the original work offset and also not understanding how bobcad 's tool crib worked.

Even though it was a stupid mistake on my part I feel pretty good about getting it all going with no real training.

thanks again for all the help

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The offer will always stand about that machine and mastercam.

Here's a tip for the future, not sure how bobcad works if it offers layers, but before I would start drawing any parts, draw the crude boundary of your stock/pre part. And title each following work off set to the operation. Say you have a part that will have 7-15 off sets. Those layers and names will come in handy.

My biggest bit of advice though...Even when you feel like you mastered the machine, take your time when it's the first run. Even raise your offsets and do dry run. Always check your gcode before running a program. Make sure each header for that tool change reads the correct depth. Rare but sometimes that data transfer screws things up. Don't beat yourself up...everyone crashes. Just try to make it cheap and forgiving as possible on the machine. Lastly...In the event of power loss/outage...These machines will start up and go to home. Unless your year changed from the 94 I used, the 94 lacked the ability to be put into jog before being homed/zeroed before use. So power goes out and it's in middle of a tool path. Say bye to that end mill.

Edit: That happened once I was pissed. It wouldn't jog or release the tool holder from spindle without zero'ing/home. Not enough room to remove the collet. So it's rare but even when you remove your work and any fixtures, the way it moves home can still rip apart a tool. I should have taken everything off the table but when I thought I had enough room, I barely didn't and snapped one of my favorite three flutes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom