Patriot Mobile

Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What a bunch of hypocrites! How interesting that so many of y’all, who enjoy a hobby that will kill thousands of people this year because of negligence, are all up in arms about this story. As a reptile keeper, of course I hate that this happened, but it’s a thousand times more deadly when someone allows a firearm or even the family dog, loose on the streets! I don’t keep venomous snakes, but I do keep large constrictors. They are all kept just as secure, and taken care of just as well as my firearms. The guy made a mistake, but he did the right thing and reported it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Comparing a venomous snake to a gun, is very poor comparison. Guns don't think, react or defend themselves. A snake will.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I'd much rather sleep in a bed with a loaded pistol, than with a venomous snake.
    Capitol Armory ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    If no one one’d them, then no one would be milking them and there would be no anti venom! Go price anti venom as it is.

When I hunted Africa I was told if I got snake bite go find some shade, as there was no reason to die in the sun! I posted a picture of the Cobra I shot while there.
    I understand what you are saying, and I don't totally disagree. But cobras are not native to North America. If the man was keeping and milking rattlesnakes, or cottonmouths, or coral snakes, that would be a legitimate reason and a possible reason for the snakes. But a cobra?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    How about we debate use of deadly force against owner if snake kills someone? I will state that if it kills a family member of mine I'll execute the owner!
    Since one member wants to compare a venomous snake to a gun, then if that snake does bite someone, and they died as result, then he should be brought up on manslaughter or negligent homicide charges and prosecuted.

Wouldn't be much different that someone who stood in their yard and shot a gun in the air, and the falling bullet killed someone.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    What a bunch of hypocrites! How interesting that so many of y’all, who enjoy a hobby that will kill thousands of people this year because of negligence, are all up in arms about this story. As a reptile keeper, of course I hate that this happened, but it’s a thousand times more deadly when someone allows a firearm or even the family dog, loose on the streets! I don’t keep venomous snakes, but I do keep large constrictors. They are all kept just as secure, and taken care of just as well as my firearms. The guy made a mistake, but he did the right thing and reported it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Constrictors are not as dangerous as cobras-period.. Equating a loose dog to a loose deadly poisonous snake is ridiculous, as is comparing it to owning firearms. The issue here would be more similar to leaving a loaded firearm with the safety off at a park, but then the firearm can't move or hide.
    I agree that reporting took some courage and is the responsible action/

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    After reading this thread early, I did a little internet searching for some information.

Does anyone know how easy or how relatively inexpensive venomous snakes are?

Pretty damned easy to order even online and have them shipped to your house for the most part. Saw various species of venomous snakes range in price from under $100 to little over $500 for some.

Essentially any idiot that wants one, regardless of the regulations or in some states, the permits one is suppose to have, but many don't, can get one.

Some states have very few restrictions or laws regarding them because they are not native to their state and or our country.

I'll add more and some links to sources and articles later on.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    After reading this thread early, I did a little internet searching for some information.

Does anyone know how easy or how relatively inexpensive venomous snakes are?

Pretty damned easy to order even online and have them shipped to your house for the most part. Saw various species of venomous snakes range in price from under $100 to little over $500 for some.

Essentially any idiot that wants one, regardless of the regulations or in some states, the permits one is suppose to have, but many don't, can get one.

Some states have very few restrictions or laws regarding them because they are not native to their state and or our country.

I'll add more and some links to sources and articles later on.
    Did you know they are free if you catch them? I use to have several. As far as idiots owning them, it's mostly a self correcting issue. Unfortunately like an idiot owning a gun, neglect doesn't always get the idiot first.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Did you know they are free if you catch them? I use to have several. As far as idiots owning them, it's mostly a self correcting issue. Unfortunately like an idiot owning a gun, neglect doesn't always get the idiot first.
    There are no cobras or mambas running around this country in the wild.

I'll post some sources and links later.

In some states, it's illegal and against state game laws to have native venomous snakes. But non-native venomous snakes can be legal to own and possess.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    There are no cobras or mambas running around this country in the wild.

I'll post some sources and links later.

In some states, it's illegal and against state game laws to have native venomous snakes. But non-native venomous snakes can be legal to own and possess.
    There's one cobra now. I was speaking about native snakes. Don't need the links I'm well educated on the subject. Don't care about any of the other states since I don't live there.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I think the analogy between guns and venomous snakes is fairly apt...

Though I understand that there is no constitutional right to keep and bear snakes, and don't like or want to keep them myself, I think there is a human right to do pretty f'in much whatever you want to do as long as it doesn't hurt someone else!

If what you do causes damages, you should be liable for restitution upto and including forfeiture of your own life, if the harm done merits it.

But, railing against someone keeping something you personally don't like strikes me as exceedingly hypocritical when it comes from gunowners...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think the analogy between guns and venomous snakes is fairly apt...

Though I understand that there is no constitutional right to keep and bear snakes, and don't like or want to keep them myself, I think there is a human right to do pretty f'in much whatever you want to do as long as it doesn't hurt someone else!

If what you do causes damages, you should be liable for restitution upto and including forfeiture of your own life, if the harm done merits it.

But, railing against someone keeping something you personally don't like strikes me as exceedingly hypocritical when it comes from gunowners...
    IMO, it's a very poor comparison. Guns don't react, think or defend themselves, and literally won't do anything to anyone without someone pulling the trigger. A snake has a mind of it's own, will react and defend itself, just like most any other animal. Add in the factor of it being venomous, and you have one very dangerous or deadly combination.

If given a choice, which would you rather sleep in the bed with. A loaded gun, or venomous snake?

I didn't say that someone couldn't have them or shouldn't have them.

But what do I know about such things. I'm just some guy on the internet stating an opinion.

Y'all enjoy.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    whatever.jpeg

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I think you’re an imbecile if you keep venomous snakes around. Doubly so if you do so without proper security to keep the damned thing locked in it’s cage.

But then this is a free country abs being an imbecile is a protected right, and I’m ok with that. If anyone gets hurt or killed by this imbeciles loose snake I hope the DA has the balls to bring criminal charges against the owner and the courts hammer them into oblivion.

Guns and snakes are an apples to space aliens comparison. Guns are inanimate pieces of metal and plastic. They don’t slither away, hide, get scared, get hungry, get thirsty…. Without a person using it they don’t harm others. Things that are alive tend to do things on their own. Big difference.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I think you’re an imbecile if you keep venomous snakes around. Doubly so if you do so without proper security to keep the damned thing locked in it’s cage.

But then this is a free country abs being an imbecile is a protected right, and I’m ok with that. If anyone gets hurt or killed by this imbeciles loose snake I hope the DA has the balls to bring criminal charges against the owner and the courts hammer them into oblivion.

Guns and snakes are an apples to space aliens comparison. Guns are inanimate pieces of metal and plastic. They don’t slither away, hide, get scared, get hungry, get thirsty…. Without a person using it they don’t harm others. Things that are alive tend to do things on their own. Big difference.
    Nobody here said guns are living things. The connection is that idiots can own them.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    IMO, it's a very poor comparison. Guns don't react, think or defend themselves, and literally won't do anything to anyone without someone pulling the trigger. A snake has a mind of it's own, will react and defend itself, just like most any other animal. Add in the factor of it being venomous, and you have one very dangerous or deadly combination.

If given a choice, which would you rather sleep in the bed with. A loaded gun, or venomous snake?

I didn't say that someone couldn't have them or shouldn't have them.

But what do I know about such things. I'm just some guy on the internet stating an opinion.

Y'all enjoy.
    It was apparent long before this thread that you have an extreme fear of snakes. My own dislike is half fear and half lack of knowledge, but I think the threat to me of people keeping snakes is far less than people keeping guns, yet I am still an absolutist on the right to keep and bear!

If someone who doesn't know WTF they are doing takes your Cobra out of it's box and starts playing with it, they might get hurt, whether it's a gun or a snake...

My druthers hardly come into play here, as what I am really tired of is people telling others what they can or cannot do based on their own personal fears.

Top Bottom