DK Firearms

Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Good at reducing the spread of Hantavirus too

Its why I err on letting copperheads live unless too close to the house. Any non-native venomous snake will be dispatched with the most extreme prejudice. If'n I had a wood chipper, after I got done shooting the thing into pieces, I'd huck said pieces into the chipper just to be sure.

Cobras, Rhino Vipers, etc are cool behind glass, not cool if they're in my grass.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Its why I err on letting copperheads live unless too close to the house. Any non-native venomous snake will be dispatched with the most extreme prejudice. If'n I had a wood chipper, after I got done shooting the thing into pieces, I'd huck said pieces into the chipper just to be sure. Cobras, Rhino Vipers, etc are cool behind glass, not cool if they're in my grass.
    Did a snake call for a friend about 25 years ago in south Austin. Went under house to retrieve a “python” that the homeowners saw under there while doing some plumbing work. I figured it was just a big Texas rat snake. Found a very heavy bodied snake about 5’ long and as big around as my arm with a pattern I did not recognize.
    After getting it unwound I dragged it out and when the head came out, I immediately recognized what it was.
    A fucking Gaboon Viper. Glad it was November and fat boy was pretty sluggish. I found a home for him at a zoo. Told the homeowners it was a Borneo Blood Python, lol.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Did a snake call for a friend about 25 years ago in south Austin. Went under house to retrieve a “python” that the homeowners saw under there while doing some plumbing work. I figured it was just a big Texas rat snake. Found a very heavy bodied snake about 5’ long and as big around as my arm with a pattern I did not recognize.
    After getting it unwound I dragged it out and when the head came out, I immediately recognized what it was.
    A fucking Gaboon Viper. Glad it was November and fat boy was pretty sluggish. I found a home for him at a zoo. Told the homeowners it was a Borneo Blood Python, lol.

See, that does NOT make me feel warm & fuzzy at all. Not with the knowledge that some of these things are in our area in God knows who's hands. Add on the fact we're in a "trailer house" aka manufactured home, where we know there are snakes of one sort or another hiding.

Shit, when my dad came to look at the house in person for us before we bought it, he & my step mom were trying to get a picture of a small coral snake in the back yard for us, when he says "a damn rattle snake" slithered past his feet and under the house - thru the open access hatch in the foundation.

Now, I've tried getting him to describe the snake in question, and I am pretty sure his rattle snake was actually a rat snake "the fucker was big, over three feet long, and looked like it had diamonds on its back" was all he could say. He didn't actually see the head or tail "it was moving too fast and I jumped back out of its way"

As a precaution, I warned our home inspector who was due out a couple days later that he might find rattlers under the house.

My neighbors say they've never seen a rattler. I've been buzzed by one (I know the sound, been buzzed and seen rattlers in Oregon before moving here) in our back yard when our dogs were just puppies and we were walking them at night. The sound was coming from a wood pile just over the neighbor's side of the (downed) fence.

The tree guy who I had come take out a rotting oak for me says he runs into rattlers around here with frequency - he says they're usually timber rattlers or diamondbacks. Guy is a logger by trade, runs a tree removal business on the side. Can only take his word for it.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I hate snakes. It’s the only fear that I purposefully never conquered and that has saved my ass many times. I lived with
    mostly moccasins daily for twenty years when much younger.

The creek in my pastures was full of them and overflowed them. In creek and bayou bottoms it was nothing to see a hundred plus a day.

I have looked down between my bare feet easily a dozen times from ages 4 to 18 to see one coiled and experienced physics taking a holiday for myself and others.

My reptile brain has removed my hand from strikes before the rest of my brain played slow motion special effects of a fanged face withdrawing.

I remember Orson Bean talking about gaboon vipers on a 50’s game show. The idea of recognition of a gaboon viper...DAMN.

You, Hoji sir, are a piece of work.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I hate snakes. It’s the only fear that I purposefully never conquered and that has saved my ass many times. I lived with
    mostly moccasins daily for twenty years when much younger.

The creek in my pastures was full of them and overflowed them. In creek and bayou bottoms it was nothing to see a hundred plus a day.

I have looked down between my bare feet easily a dozen times from ages 4 to 18 to see one coiled and experienced physics taking a holiday for myself and others.

My reptile brain has removed my hand from strikes before the rest of my brain played slow motion special effects of a fanged face withdrawing.

I remember Orson Bean talking about gaboon vipers on a 50’s game show. The idea of recognition of a gaboon viper...DAMN.

@Hoji is our not-so-secret weapon against the commies when Civ War 2: Ammo Boogaloo kicks off. He's also our resident pro-am herpetologist and all around snazzy dresser. :laughing:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

I really wish I had eaten a few lumps of coal before I went on that call. When the realization of what it was hit me I would have shit diamonds.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Jesus!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    See, that does NOT make me feel warm & fuzzy at all. Not with the knowledge that some of these things are in our area in God knows who's hands. Add on the fact we're in a "trailer house" aka manufactured home, where we know there are snakes of one sort or another hiding.

Shit, when my dad came to look at the house in person for us before we bought it, he & my step mom were trying to get a picture of a small coral snake in the back yard for us, when he says "a damn rattle snake" slithered past his feet and under the house - thru the open access hatch in the foundation.

Now, I've tried getting him to describe the snake in question, and I am pretty sure his rattle snake was actually a rat snake "the fucker was big, over three feet long, and looked like it had diamonds on its back" was all he could say. He didn't actually see the head or tail "it was moving too fast and I jumped back out of its way"

As a precaution, I warned our home inspector who was due out a couple days later that he might find rattlers under the house.

My neighbors say they've never seen a rattler. I've been buzzed by one (I know the sound, been buzzed and seen rattlers in Oregon before moving here) in our back yard when our dogs were just puppies and we were walking them at night. The sound was coming from a wood pile just over the neighbor's side of the (downed) fence.

The tree guy who I had come take out a rotting oak for me says he runs into rattlers around here with frequency - he says they're usually timber rattlers or diamondbacks. Guy is a logger by trade, runs a tree removal business on the side. Can only take his word for it.

that part of the world, timber rattlers are common. They generally are much smaller than diamond backs.

saw them on occasion at my lease in E TX.

saw diamond backs regularly at home in Central TX. They regularly made me nervous. But once I picked up freshly baked bale of hay and about 6” of one was hanging out the side. Scared the crap out of me.

Estrella762

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2022
    Texas
    3df8b91622258030293f9ed796add494.jpg

Poor guy couldnt resist

Top Bottom