Patriot Mobile

Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I understand what you are saying, and I don't totally disagree. But cobras are not native to North America. If the man was keeping and milking rattlesnakes, or cottonmouths, or coral snakes, that would be a legitimate reason and a possible reason for the snakes. But a cobra?
    Follow the money! Anti venom for zoo keepers! Venom for research for the medical field!

Reactions: gll

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    While I agree with the philosophy that says people should have the freedom to do as they wish as long as it doesn't hurt others, modern society makes rules. In a perfect world, we would all agree or at least get a vote on what the rules are going to be. In the good ol USA, we appoint representatives to make law, which IMO has gotten WAY out of hand. But there are penalties for breaking the rules.

However, in ancient societies, the people banded together and enforced whatever rules they had via rocks, jawbone of an ass, pointy sticks, summary hanging... whatever they could do together to take care of biz and get rid of the problem.

Maybe we should go back to that.

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    What a bunch of hypocrites! How interesting that so many of y’all, who enjoy a hobby that will kill thousands of people this year because of negligence, are all up in arms about this story. As a reptile keeper, of course I hate that this happened, but it’s a thousand times more deadly when someone allows a firearm or even the family dog, loose on the streets! I don’t keep venomous snakes, but I do keep large constrictors. They are all kept just as secure, and taken care of just as well as my firearms. The guy made a mistake, but he did the right thing and reported it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First, " there was no lock on the cage," stupidly irresponsible, period! A lock slows or prevents unauthorized access, and gives a fail safe to the owner to help insure this "accident," does not happen.
    Second, NOWHERE in the Constitution does a "right to bear SNAKES appear! Conflating a priveledge of keeping venemous snakes with a God given RIGHT, is childish, if not outright moronic!
    While I believe trained, responsible citizens should have the ability to possess venomous snakes, for the harvesting of venom, or other medical research, perhaps keeping them in your HOME, in a populated area, is unwise!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    This is pure stupidity. This is why many cities have ordinances against owning or keeping of "firearms".

"Handguns and rifles"
    are bad enough, but anyone that keeps any type of "firearms" at home, is an idiot.

But these idiots think they are experts.
    Um... While I somewhat agree with you I have to play the devil's advocate here Mr. Axxe55... I say this only because I don't own snakes of any kind nor will my wife ever let me bring one in the house.

Look at it this way, simply replace the noun "venomous snakes" with "firearms", and look how it sounds ^^^...
    The statement now sounds like every anti-gunner in this country, doesn't it?

With all dangerous things, accidents can happen. I believe the owner should be held accountable that the darn snake got loose, just like WE are held accountable for safely storing our firearms by keeping them away from children and locked away safely so that they cannot be stolen and used in a crime.

Hopefully, they find it alive and return it to the owner; but it would be a tragedy if someone got bitten or worse yet killed.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    First, " there was no lock on the cage," stupidly irresponsible, period! A lock slows or prevents unauthorized access, and gives a fail safe to the owner to help insure this "accident," does not happen.
    Second, NOWHERE in the Constitution does a "right to bear SNAKES appear! Conflating a priveledge of keeping venemous snakes with a God given RIGHT, is childish, if not outright moronic!
    While I believe trained, responsible citizens should have the ability to possess venomous snakes, for the harvesting of venom, or other medical research, perhaps keeping them in your HOME, in a populated area, is unwise!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    The founders left the right to keep and bear out of the Constitution too, thinking it too obvious to need stating, and adding it only when it was demanded...

Do you think every natural and human right granted by God is found granted in the Constitution?

"The U.S. Constitution does not explicitly mention a right to reproduce, however, the Supreme Court has recognized it as a personal right that is deemed "fundamental" and which extends to procreation (Skinner v. Oklahoma)."
    "What are Reproductive Rights? - FindLaw" https://www.findlaw.com/family/reproductive-rights/what-are-reproductive-rights-.html

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Snakes and guns are a silly comparison because (as it’s been pointed out) a gun won’t slither out of your house to hide under the neighbors bush and bite them when they come out to pull weeds. Also pretty sure than if people owned and kept venomous snakes at the same rate as guns there would be far more snake related injuries than gun related. It’s not a very good defense argument.

That said, I also don’t care too much for nanny states and think Darwin mostly keeps the population of incredibly stupid venomous snake owners in check.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Very few people keep snakes, it is true, and even fewer keep venomous snakes...

Increasingly (with perhaps a recent exception), fewer people are keeping more firearms, and become more and more villified for so doing...

The obvious thing to do, from the common perspective of non-keepers, is to make more laws restricting said practices...

There is a lot of commonality in my opinion, but I suppose I've already made that clear...

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Snakes and guns are a silly comparison .....
    Oh yea, I 100% agree. Snakes and guns are apples and oranges.

However, it's the argument that is exactly the same:
    "You should not have them, because I don't like them, I don't own one, and thus NO ONE should own them"

It's a narrow view of how things are don't you think?

Reminds me of a bad joke:
    What do a limp wiener, a Grand Prarie Cobra, and Scott's 50 cal have in common??

You don't F*** with any of them.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I think the neighbors of this guy ought to band together and mess him up for letting it happen. If somebody gets injured or killed, same for him.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Oh yea, I 100% agree. Snakes and guns are apples and oranges.

However, it's the argument that is exactly the same:
    "You should not have them, because I don't like them, I don't own one, and thus NO ONE should own them"

It's a narrow view of how things are don't you think?

Reminds me of a bad joke:
    What do a limp wiener, a Grand Prarie Cobra, and Scott's 50 cal have in common??

You don't F*** with any of them.

Somewhat agree, but a bit oversimplified.

Kind of like speed limits. It can be argued they shouldn’t exist just because some people will drive like idiots. It infringes on the right to drive as I wish. But then can be argued that you can drive however you want on your own property, which is rebutted with the fact that if you are deemed to be creating a danger to the public you could still have that freedom restricted. And on down the rabbit hole.

So even though words can be replaced to make it sound like the same argument, the context is much different. And in the end it comes down to where people draw their personal lines between public safety and freedom. As usual, some arguments will be poorly made due to a lack of education on the subject regardless of true merit. Other could be well made regardless of factual information (overall risk to the public vs emotional reaction to the thought of the danger).

I don’t like snakes and doubt anyone would be surprised by that. My reaction to them involves me or them going away forever. I still can’t quite reach the point of saying “you can’t own that”, but also firmly in the camp of “it dies if it crosses my property line”

I guess a more apt comparison is to ask at what point do we deem an animal too dangerous for unregulated private ownership? Or just allow someone to have a lion in the front yard with an invisible fence and shock collar while simply holding them responsible for whatever the lion might do?

There’s a line somewhere I think. Just not sure exactly where to draw it.

Top Bottom