Military Camp

Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A banded cobra is loose in Grand Prairie.

"Police say the owner of a venomous West African Banded Cobra snake called animal services on Tuesday to report his snake had been missing since 5 p.m. His home is in the 1800 block of Cherry Street. The owner says there was no lock on the cage. "

Antivenom is standing by and available at parkland hospital.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Ya I'm torn. I think you're a phucking retard to keep snakes like that or constrictors large enough to kill your toddler..

But it's not my place to tell people how to act.

But if someone gets hurt by your stupidity, then you got every bad thing coming to you.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ya I'm torn. I think you're a phucking retard to keep snakes like that or constrictors large enough to kill your toddler..

But it's not my place to tell people how to act.

But if someone gets hurt by your stupidity, then you got every bad thing coming to you.
    I'm at the same place. I don't think we should be telling people how to act, but most of us would think that keeping venomous snakes in their home is extremely stupid in the first place.

This cobra getting loose in Grand Prairie is why I suspect that some cities have ordinances in prohibiting such behavior.

And no one can convince me keeping a cobra for a "pet" is a good idea, or that there is any practical reasons for keeping one in their home.

But I'm open for debate on the subject.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm at the same place. I don't think we should be telling people how to act, but most of us would think that keeping venomous snakes in their home is extremely stupid in the first place.

This cobra getting loose in Grand Prairie is why I suspect that some cities have ordinances in prohibiting such behavior.

And no one can convince me keeping a cobra for a "pet" is a good idea, or that there is any practical reasons for keeping one in their home.

Ya, no debate. It's just stupid. Sorry.

You cant fix stupid but a cobra bite can stop it.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Venom is worth big money. I knew a guy in college that kept all manner of nasty shit, in order to harvest and sell venom. Dude was weird.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Ya, no debate. It's just stupid. Sorry.

You cant fix stupid but a cobra bite can stop it.
    Hey, if the owner of the snake gets his stupid self bitten and dies, I don't see a huge loss. Just the gene pool doing some cleaning.

But when the idiot allows one to get loose, and some innocent bystander gets bitten, that should be criminal, and carry every single charge that can be brought against that idiot.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Venom is worth big money. I knew a guy in college that kept all manner of nasty shit, in order to harvest and sell venom. Dude was weird.

I have watched a number of programs on harvesting venom. Yes, there is some very big money involved.

Money is probably what drives idiots to do stupid shit like keep them in their home.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'm not even a fan of people keeping constrictors as pets.

We have seen stories of where people had them in their home keeping them as pets, and the snakes have gotten out or loose and killed a toddler or small child. That is beyond being irresponsible, but criminal.

But i kind of put this in the same category as people that don't properly secure their firearms and a curious child dies as result of handling the firearm. Again, not just irresponsible and not an "accident" either, but criminal.

I guess, I could put keeping venomous snakes into that category as well.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    so what else should be on that list

blue ringed octpi

pit bulls I would bet more people die from them than cobras in the US.

Doberman

shepherds

golden retrievers.

any working dog over 30lbs

gun owners

Do I think its stupid to have a venomous snake as a pet Yes,

Do I think people that know how to handle them and use them to save lives should have them Sure.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Somebody posted a pic on Nextdoor of a small grass snake locally and an idiot responded with pics of the cobra he keeps in his house. No remedy for stupid unless you consider a load of #6 shot for both

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Somebody posted a pic on Nextdoor of a small grass snake locally and an idiot responded with pics of the cobra he keeps in his house. No remedy for stupid unless you consider a load of #6 shot for both
    If I lived in Grand Prairie, and ran across that cobra, if possible it would be returned to it's owner with the head blown off with a 12 gauge.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    What a bunch of hypocrites! How interesting that so many of y’all, who enjoy a hobby that will kill thousands of people this year because of negligence, are all up in arms about this story. As a reptile keeper, of course I hate that this happened, but it’s a thousand times more deadly when someone allows a firearm or even the family dog, loose on the streets! I don’t keep venomous snakes, but I do keep large constrictors. They are all kept just as secure, and taken care of just as well as my firearms. The guy made a mistake, but he did the right thing and reported it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

How about we debate use of deadly force against owner if snake kills someone? I will state that if it kills a family member of mine I'll execute the owner!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    This is pure stupidity. This is why many cities have ordinances against owning or keeping of venomous snakes.

Boas, or pythons are bad enough, but anyone that keeps any type of venomous snake at home, is an idiot.

But these idiots think they are experts.
    If no one one’d them, then no one would be milking them and there would be no anti venom! Go price anti venom as it is.

When I hunted Africa I was told if I got snake bite go find some shade, as there was no reason to die in the sun! I posted a picture of the Cobra I shot while there.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom