Cocked, Locked or Not

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by zaraster, May 22, 2008.

1. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    When I carry my Kimber 1911 I carry cocked and locked and ready for action. No matter which pistol i am carrying I always have one in the chamber. I feel it would be to slow to cock it before shooting.
    I also like a single double set with no safety so I can go right into action with 1 hand . How do you guys carry?

2. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    Cocked, locked and ready to rock.

3. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Cocked and locked.I never keep a round in the chamber with the hammer down.I have heard too many horror stories about people loading a round in the chamber and then trying to put the hammer down and having an accidental discharge.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Cocked and locked.

Mac, I'm VERY paranoid about decocking 1911's and other similar style weapons with a round in the chamber. All it takes is for your thumb to slip and boom.

This is a core reason why I like HK's pistols. They have a decocker action independent of the trigger, an external safety, and are ergonomic for me. Sigs too have these features, and are a good maker as well.

5. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK Member

Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    Condition One, always.

Loaded Chamber, Cocked and locked - always.

The 1911 was designed and produced to be carried in Condition One. It is safer to carry it cocked and locked than it is to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

6. midnightrider

midnightrider Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Cocked and Locked, condition 1 "always".

7. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    C & L

8. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    1911 were designed to be cerried cocked and locked the hammer should not be lowered as it can slip and fire and in the old days there was no block so the gun would go off if the hammer was hit when carried in that mannor.

9. TxShooter

TxShooter Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Cocked and Locked

Condition 1, always cocked and locked. You would never consider carrying around a Glock without a round in the chamber would you. Cocked and locked is a safe way for a competent shooter to carry a 1911.

10. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    For now, I leave my SA xd.40 with no bullet in the chamber. Not too worried with being slow, since any place I would be worried about being attacked/mugged/whatever, the people dont really have guns. Most of the problems are with knives. I want to get used to it just being there before I keep it loaded.