• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I don't carry a 1911, but my PM9 always has a round in the chamber, ready to be fired ... my 1911 is in my nightstand, cocked and locked ...
    Guns International

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    My CZ was ALWAYS cocked and locked.

I just loved it when I was in uniform and someone pointed it out and asked "did you know that thing is cocked?"

After realizing that anyone having to ask, would not understand what a safety was... I started answering "darn it, that thing is always doing that.":rolleyes:

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    8 in the mag; one in the pipe, C&L.
    If you are going to attempt to put the hammer down on a 1911, make sure you use both hands and not just your thumb, that way you can keep two fingers minimum on the hammer and ease it down.

I also have the HK USP and like the option it gives you. The safety on my expert is either ready to rock, a decocker, or it also gives you the option for C&L...a nice mix...but I trust my Kimber more at this point, 1000 rounds with only one jam and that was a cheap magazine that is now relegated to the bottom of the range box for use only at the range. I learned my 1911 lesson and only use Wilson and Tripp magazines for when it absolutey has to go bang!

For those of you 1911 fans like me, looking for good magazines, you might try trippresearch.com for his cobra mag. The give a nice blend and have been the only mags designed from the ground up for 8 and not a messaged 7 to hold 8. I have two eights and two of his 10 rounders... great mags to compliment my Wilsons.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Condition 1, always. A 1911 was meant for carrying cocked and locked. There is no reason to carry any modern firearm without a round in the chamber unless you are from Israel. The Israeli draw can be quite fast when practiced.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I find it funny that over the years some LEO's have been criticized for carrying a 1911 condition one. Of course those doing the whinning know nothing about WTF they are talking about. Personally I think that Cocked & Locked & Ready to Rock sends the right message.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Definately condition one.

However, I think it is better for a person to carry in a manner that is comfortable to them until they are ready to take the next step. If you are not comfy with condition one right now, carry for awhile in condition 3 or what have you for awhile. At home, make ready into condition one, and carry that way around the house until you are comfortable making your way out into society with your weapon ready. Just makes sense to be comfortable with what you are doing.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I was never comfortable with cocked and locked, even when my holster had a thumbstrap that sat under the hammer. Any mechanical device can fail and I never liked the idea of having springs under tension.

When the P7 came out, I had to be the first one on my block to have one. You could carry it ready to fire with all the springs relaxed.

Nevertheless, I miss my 1911 and especially the .22 Ace conversion kit.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    For now, I leave my SA xd.40 with no bullet in the chamber. Not too worried with being slow, since any place I would be worried about being attacked/mugged/whatever, the people dont really have guns. Most of the problems are with knives. I want to get used to it just being there before I keep it loaded.
    Do you know how fast a person can get to you with a knife,You will be stuck before you can draw and chamber a round.:eek:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I was never comfortable with cocked and locked, even when my holster had a thumbstrap that sat under the hammer. Any mechanical device can fail and I never liked the idea of having springs under tension.

Springs under tension? Even un-cocked the 1911's hammer spring has tension on it. Mag springs have tension on them when loaded (some tension when not).

For the hammer to fall 3 mechanical things have to go wrong on a C&L 1911. The safety has to be faulty, the grip safety has to be faulty and the hammer has to be faulty. Odds are that you will be hit by lightening and win the lottery simultaneously before that happens.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I know the common wisdom says cocked and locked is the safest way to carry a 1911 but it creeps me out. With a slight bump it can become cocked and unlocked, so if I carry that style firearm it will be hammer down or empty chamber. For everyday carry I have a Kel-Tec and a Walther P99 and I feel comfortable with their double action trigger pulls however I would not carry the Walther cocked either.

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    I know the common wisdom says cocked and locked is the safest way to carry a 1911 but it creeps me out. With a slight bump it can become cocked and unlocked, so if I carry that style firearm it will be hammer down or empty chamber. For everyday carry I have a Kel-Tec and a Walther P99 and I feel comfortable with their double action trigger pulls however I would not carry the Walther cocked either.

Maybe it's just me, but I would think for a "bump" to set off a modern 1911 that is on my hip, in a holster, cocked and locked, it would have to fracture my hip as well as set the gun off. My SIG 1911 has taken small tumbles from about 3 feet, and never fired. I have tried several ways to make the hammer fall with it cocked and locked (unloaded), and I am convince that hammer is not going to fall unless I purposely pull the trigger. I'm sorry man, but your fear of a small bump to a 1911 seems very irrational to me.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm sorry man, but your fear of a small bump to a 1911 seems very irrational to me.
    Irrational or not that is the same reason I wouldn't carry a glock. For me it is just as fast to thumb back the hammer as it is to find the safety. Locked ranks right up there with carrying a single action revolver cocked in a holster, I use it when the gun is already drawn.

Top Bottom