• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For me it is just as fast to thumb back the hammer as it is to find the safety.

Is your manual of arms for 1911, safety off, hammer down, round chambered?

Rifleman55 & Acesn8's are right about how fast things can happen. This becomes glaringly apparent if you look at how thugs rob/assault people, at arms length. If you need to insert your pistol into a problem, chances are that you will need to do so robustly, because you are behind the power curve and using one hand, because you need your other hand to fend off an assault. So, any carry condition that A) compromises the establishment of a robust grip on the pistol and/or B) requires both hands to make the gun live can be seriously lacking in the context of self defense. You need to know how much time, accuracy, robustness, etc... you are giving up for different carry methods. A few ways to find out are to test it, on a timer, a qualifying course of fire and against a resisting partner.
    Gun Zone Deals

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I once was of the frame of mind with my 1911 that leaving the chamber empty would leave me enough time to rack a round, but then I moved to leaving one chambered and of the frame of mind that I could simply thumb the hammer back...

But with all prudence to defending the lives of myself and my family, I realized that with weapon designed for condition 1 carry, I would use it to the fullest of its capability...and believe me, you can NOT thumb a hammer back nearly as fast as dropping the safety, especially if your 1911 is bob-tailed in the gip safety. I have large hands and it can still be an effort to reach around the grip safety and get to the hammer.

With Cond. 1, just grip it, drop your thumb, and your now ready (with one hand and minimal effort) to "rumble."

If you want something that will scare someone off by sound, nothing beatsw a 12 ga. pump racking a round in the dark, but never sacrifice the handgun at your side for the same sound. Make sure your 1911 is ready to save your life while you get the shot gun to scar the SH(* out of someone.

Top Bottom