• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    When I carry my Kimber 1911 I carry cocked and locked and ready for action. No matter which pistol i am carrying I always have one in the chamber. I feel it would be to slow to cock it before shooting.
    I also like a single double set with no safety so I can go right into action with 1 hand . How do you guys carry?
    Hurley's Gold

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Cocked and locked.I never keep a round in the chamber with the hammer down.I have heard too many horror stories about people loading a round in the chamber and then trying to put the hammer down and having an accidental discharge.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Cocked and locked.

Mac, I'm VERY paranoid about decocking 1911's and other similar style weapons with a round in the chamber. All it takes is for your thumb to slip and boom.

This is a core reason why I like HK's pistols. They have a decocker action independent of the trigger, an external safety, and are ergonomic for me. Sigs too have these features, and are a good maker as well.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    Condition One, always.

Loaded Chamber, Cocked and locked - always.

The 1911 was designed and produced to be carried in Condition One. It is safer to carry it cocked and locked than it is to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    Cocked and locked.

Mac, I'm VERY paranoid about decocking 1911's and other similar style weapons with a round in the chamber. All it takes is for your thumb to slip and boom.

This is a core reason why I like HK's pistols. They have a decocker action independent of the trigger, an external safety, and are ergonomic for me. Sigs too have these features, and are a good maker as well.

1911 were designed to be cerried cocked and locked the hammer should not be lowered as it can slip and fire and in the old days there was no block so the gun would go off if the hammer was hit when carried in that mannor.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Cocked and Locked

Condition 1, always cocked and locked. You would never consider carrying around a Glock without a round in the chamber would you. Cocked and locked is a safe way for a competent shooter to carry a 1911.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    For now, I leave my SA xd.40 with no bullet in the chamber. Not too worried with being slow, since any place I would be worried about being attacked/mugged/whatever, the people dont really have guns. Most of the problems are with knives. I want to get used to it just being there before I keep it loaded.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    For now, I leave my SA xd.40 with no bullet in the chamber. Not too worried with being slow, since any place I would be worried about being attacked/mugged/whatever, the people dont really have guns. Most of the problems are with knives. I want to get used to it just being there before I keep it loaded.

Only problem with that is lets say someone walks up and slashes your arm pretty bad or just takes you by the arm or you are just trying to hold the BGs away with your weak arm while drawing your weapon. would you be able to draw and cock with one arm? I am not trying to tell you what to do just giving you something to think about. We should all carry the way we think best.

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    I completely agree with zaraster . No matter the platform you carry, and assuming your gun has not been modified, IMO you should always carry with one in the chamber. In the case of conceal carry, the pros are nothing but positive the cons could cost you your life. Quality modern firearms are made to carry with one in the chamber.
    As to the 1911 I always have my 1911 cocked and locked, it just stays that in that condition at all times.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Condition 1 with any pistol I carry. The 1911 and my .32 have exterior hammers, but the .32 has a decocker. I never use it though, I always do it manually. I got into the habit of manually decocking when I had my Sig P232.

My M&P9 just gets one in the chamber, it has a trigger safety.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    cocked and locked

cocked and locked absolutely. anything else is a distraction. I carry a sig which means I have a decocker and a fairly nice DA trigger, but even though I practice I don't trust my accuracy in a SHTF situation without the benefit of the ultra smooth SA trigger pull. Just my $.02

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Agree with above, condition 2 is nuts. Condition 1 or in some cases 3, only.

BTW, a 1911 functioning properly will not discharge if you slip off the hammer and it drops. It should have a Hammer Safety Stop or what some call "half cock" which is not a good description. It is NOT designed to be put in that position manually; it's only a safety designed to operate automatically on an accidental hammer drop.

No I haven't tested it with a live round, but I have on a snap cap. :D I have faith, but I'm sometimes faith ain't so smart.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    Agree with above, condition 2 is nuts. Condition 1 or in some cases 3, only.

BTW, a 1911 functioning properly will not discharge if you slip off the hammer and it drops. It should have a Hammer Safety Stop or what some call "half cock" which is not a good description. It is NOT designed to be put in that position manually; it's only a safety designed to operate automatically on an accidental hammer drop.

No I haven't tested it with a live round, but I have on a snap cap. :D I have faith, but I'm sometimes faith ain't so smart.

I Like That

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE

No offense, but you never know who has a gun or not. Everyone is a possible threat. Regardless if they are carrying a gun, knife, or a weapon at all should not dictate how you protect yourself. You can be "attacked, mugged, whatever" anywhere at anytime and most likely from the person you least expect it from. And I guarantee they have a round in their chamber. Just my two cents.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    Condition 3 for the 1911 - it's not carried regularly. Wheelgun and Beretta are in Condition 2.

Decocking is very easy with a spur hammer (even one-handed). The rowell hammers most new 1911s and other autos come with require a lot of care in that respect, though.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so

If it doesn't have a round in the chamber then why carry it? Might as well carry a hammer. I bet you could be stabbed before you cycled the slide.

1911's should always be cocked and locked.

Top Bottom