• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Howdy.

I picked up this Coleman 220H at an estate sale. It looks to be in excellent condition, however when I tried to use it, the plunger wouldn’t turn to lock & unlock.

I pumped it then took off the fuel cap, and it had pressure, so I added a little fuel and tried to light it, but no luck.

Any ideas? Anyone know a Coleman forum where I could get some advice?

Thanks!

1ac056c8830d64622b378ed408d81392.jpg
    Military Camp

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    RevolverGuy,

baboon' advice, AS USUAL, is CORRECT. = You NEED to disassemble, clean, oil & replace the leather.

It should take 15 minutes or less to get it working properly.

yours, satx

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Those plunger gaskets go bad very quickly and 99% of the time that's the problem. You can buy them online for around $5 (plunger & gasket). If you are willing to take some time, there are great youtube videos on how to rehab your old Coleman and make it work like new. The design on them is amazingly simple and they were made to be easily repaired.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Those plunger gaskets go bad very quickly and 99% of the time that's the problem. You can buy them online for around $5 (plunger & gasket). If you are willing to take some time, there are great youtube videos on how to rehab your old Coleman and make it work like new. The design on them is amazingly simple and they were made to be easily repaired.
    Not sure very quickly is to you but I have reconditioned the leather gasket that sat for 5 years to working condition. The trick is to maintain them in the first place.

I lost my old lantern in the move to the new house. I still have my stove that must be 50 years old.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Make sure the fuel tank is clean and clear of any rust bits.
    Tanks that have been sitting up for long periods tend to have rust.
    Wash it out with some Coleman fuel.
    Change out the generator. That is the tall brass tube in the center of the mantle way. Inside of it is a very fine needle valve. These plug up with the rust bits. They're very easy to change out. Anyplace that sells parts will have them. Buy several.
    Be sure to change the gasket inside the fill cap when you change to pump cup gasket.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you can find one of the reflectors for it they make the lantern even better IMHO. I had a retractable brass sparker on mine so I never needed matches to light it. They also made a storage for the bottom of the lantern that would hold spare mantles, generators and other things that was held in place by a clamp.

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Think it was called Old Coleman Parts, they had a lot of parts for Coleman. Academy has generators and other parts, at least the more popular ones. I just got a fuel/air mixing tube from Old Coleman. Coleman has a plastic cap that snaps on the bottom like a Tupperware lid for storing stuff. I keep spare mantles and stuff in mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

HINT: It may be worth your time to cruise your & nearby zip code areas on BULK PICK-UP DAY, as COLEMAN lanterns & stoves often end up on the curb, FREE for the taking..
    (On the last such day, I found a 4-burner stove & 5 perfectly serviceable lanterns in less than an hour. = Fyi, the "going price" of 3-burner COLEMAN stoves in GOOD shape is about 100.oo.)

After a "general cleaning" & some routine maintenance, the stove & lanterns were working FINE.

yours, satx

Top Bottom