• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas
    Hi all. I've acquired a, new to me, old Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32ACP. This pistol was manufactured in 1907 and has the barrel bushing. I already have several old Colts and have worked out the issues on most of them. This one will fire the first round just find and will even chamber another round but it will not reset the firing pin. I have cleaned/inspected/lubed. I have not changed any internal parts. It is NOT magazine related as I have tried 4 different magazines all with the same result. I don't believe it is the ammo.....I have a 1925 model 1903 in .32ACP and it works flawless......every time and I love it. Just trying to make this old girl as reliable. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    Hurley's Gold

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Is the slide going all the way back and not short stroking? It sounds like the slide isn't going far enough back to cock the hammer past the sear.

Last edited:

Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas
    Is the slide going all the way back and not short stroking? It sounds like the slide isn't going far enough back to cock the hammer past the sear.

So I actually racked the slide several times. It appears that if I rack it.....hard, it will set the trigger. I can rack it all the way back softly and it will not cock...........

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    So I actually racked the slide several times. It appears that if I rack it.....hard, it will set the trigger. I can rack it all the way back softly and it will not cock...........
    Springs too weak/strong, ammo too weak?

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I can't count either out.....but I think a weak spring would allow it to "cock" easier......I use the same ammo in another identical (except 20 years newer) pistol with excellent results......so??
    I'm no expert, but I edited the post after you commented to say too weak/strong. Perhaps. I've had a few pistol not work right due to the springs. One was a very disappointing Colt Defender.

Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas
    I'm no expert, but I edited the post after you commented to say too weak/strong. Perhaps. I've had a few pistol not work right due to the springs. One was a very disappointing Colt Defender.

Well.......I haven't changed anything on this pistol yet. Recently acquired. This was the results of the first trip to the range. Just trying to see if maybe I am missing something obvious. It might be a spring issue.......I will certainly update when it is working. Thanks

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

Just a guess, but what if you had a weak hammer spring or tight fit around hammer pin causing some friction. Hard rack is enough to jostle the hammer and it falls to the sear where as a slow gental rack allows the stiff or under sprung hammer to maintain it's position and not set.

Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas

Just a guess, but what if you had a weak hammer spring or tight fit around hammer pin causing some friction. Hard rack is enough to jostle the hammer and it falls to the sear where as a slow gental rack allows the stiff or under sprung hammer to maintain it's position and not set.

Very possible. Gonna have to figure this one out.

Thanks

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Have you completely detail stripped the firearm and inspected/cleaned the sear?
    These old Colt's are 100yrs old and usually found full of gunk. Sounds like something might be gumming up under the hammer.
    I would replace all springs. Recoil, Mag, mainspring, extractor, etc.

Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas
    Have you completely detail stripped the firearm and inspected/cleaned the sear?
    These old Colt's are 100yrs old and usually found full of gunk. Sounds like something might be gumming up under the hammer.
    I would replace all springs. Recoil, Mag, mainspring, extractor, etc.

I have not pulled the sear assy out yet. I have done that before on another 1903.....it is a chore. Guess I need to watch the video again and get to it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Just had a thought…….
    Is the recoil spring kinked real bad?
    Try reassembling the gun leaving the recoils spring out but the guide rod in.
    manually cycle the slide back and forth. Does it cock correctly?
    A kinked or badly bent spring might be preventing full rearward movement?
    Maybe swap out the spring and rod off your working gun for a test try?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom