• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian8474

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Today i bought my first 1911. Paid $1049 at LGS i feel like i got a pretty good deal given the the way things are nowadays. Im looking for opinions on this gun, Also i want to replace the sights. They are a bit small for my taste. Im looking for sights with Windage and Elevation adjustments.

null_zpsa589eb15.jpg
    Target Sports

Brian8474

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Its shooting low and to the left. To hit a beer can i have to aim low and to the right about 3 inches at 15 feet. I will have the stock sites adjusted first before i change em out. Did i get a decent deal on price? i tried to do my homework as best as i could.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You are a new member, please introduce your self.

You paid the "Street" price for your Commander. Fair enough for a new-in-the-box shooter.

It was not designed for adjustable sights: It is a fighting pistol.

If you wanted adjustable sights, you should have bought a full-sized Colt target 1911, not a Commander!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hell, it's a Colt, and a 1911. Damned hard to go wrong. :)

Seriously, make sure it's not you, or the ammunition, before changing anything. Even then, not a bad idea to let someone else shoot it who is familiar/proficient with the platform before blaming the sights.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Welcome to da club. Very nice heater!
    Run it hard and see if it smooths out. For you and the gun.
    Just like your woman take your time and learn

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    "Low and left" means you're flinching as you pull the trigger, even though you may not be aware of it.

Get some dummy rounds, mix them in with some live ones, and watch your muzzle as you pull the trigger. When you hit the dummy round, you'll see the muzzle dropping.

Spend some time....LOTS of time...dry-firing until you get rid of the flinch.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Its shooting low and to the left. To hit a beer can i have to aim low and to the right about 3 inches at 15 feet..

well right there's half of your problem - ya say it's shooting low but then ya say you're aiming low.....uh (maybe the other half of the problem is that you're drinking the beer before shooting at the can ? - just kidding)

look at this "correction" suggestion and see if you can figure something out for yourself - also, have an experienced 1911 shooter give your pistol a go

correctionchart_zps2a9f061d.gif

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Give it a chance. Fire a few hundred rounds through it before you change anything.

^This. No telling how many people have screwed up perfectly good 1911's by taking them home and "improving" them before they even know what it does or doesn't do. I always try to tell people to get plenty of trigger time on it so they learn what they like or don't like. Then focus on fixing those things they don't. But keep in mind that a 1911 is an amazing piece, and no part function doesn't impact the function of another part. So modifying one thing can mess up something else that you DID like about it. A lot of the parts are interdependent in how they function.

Oh, nice piece you have. Congrats.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Welcome to the forum! Heed some of the very good advice already given! It will save you time and money, as well as make you immune to most serious diseases and increase your odds of winning the Texas Lottery considerably!:p

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Jmb did it better than we could shoot. Run it also look at the chart.
    It helped me. Look 100 rds two flyers. This from a springes fs.
    15# recoil, wilson fps and nothing else. Gi sights

TxTchRR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2013
    Today i bought my first 1911. Paid $1049 at LGS i feel like i got a pretty good deal given the the way things are nowadays. Im looking for opinions on this gun, Also i want to replace the sights. They are a bit small for my taste. Im looking for sights with Windage and Elevation adjustments.

null_zpsa589eb15.jpg

Good looking gun, bought the same one for the same price in June and I've put 500 or so down the pipe with zero issues. Got to agree than you're likely flinching, though I will say I don't shoot the gun as consistently well as I do my Citadel EDC but I have a suspicion that it's the difference in trigger feel causing it for me.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Bought a light weight commandue r in 85.. the sport of practical shooting was in it's infancy, and bowling pins were the 'big' deal.. I wanted as gun for carry, and competition. The light weight commander had to much recoil or flip to be an effective competition piece.. least for me.. but I will always regret trading it.. my first 1911 too, and while I've had a bunch since, and a brace of R1's now, i'll always love the look, and feel of that 'Colt' commander.. matter of fact I put roe (ring) hammers on the Remington's.. (pic's in the 1911 thread)

You didn't get a bad price.. in agreement with those telling you to put rounds through it, find someone at your range to mentore you a bit, and congratulations on the commander, and joining the forum..

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Shoot it off of a rest at 15-25 yards. Use the same quality ammo or hand loads, that will tell you if the gun needs to be adjusted for windage. If you want a target 1911 get a range officer for about 800$ new.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    There certainly isn't anything wrong with a Commander! Here's an idea on the sights like this LW Commander (but not the Detonics).
    45s002_zpsf4c06c5e.jpg

I think these are Bo-Mar sights, but a similar sight set should be available from Heinie and etc.

Top Bottom