• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I am fortunate that my grandfather, who was a ship captain in the Navy during WW2, left me what I think was a first civilian production run 1911, that were made right after the war. He also gave me his original Colt conversion to 22lr. I believe the conversion kit was his officer issue during the war. Both are amazing pieces.
    He also had a 1911 in 38 super, which my bro-tard pawned :(.
    I no longer shoot either, and what I would like to do is ask about ideas on a lower for the conversion kit.
    I am making an Honor shadow box, in which I will place the flag he was buried with in the center, then place the mounted conversion kit along with his service ribbons and medals on the bottom, then place my dads army decorations from Korea on the top right, then my service decorations on the top left.

so need ideas on a donor lower to mount the conversion on. I thought about buying a new colt, but feel it would not match the used patina of the upper. unless there is a way to distress it. what Would you do?
    I wish there was a way to get more info on the conversion but there is no serial number.
    thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpeg
      IMG_2179.jpeg
      543.1 KB · Views: 57
    • IMG_2181.jpeg
      IMG_2181.jpeg
      419.8 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_2184.jpeg
      IMG_2184.jpeg
      313.5 KB · Views: 58

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You could check with the CMP and get a military issued 1911. It won't match exactly, but it should be similar. A cheaper route would be to find a RIA or similar cheap 1911 to use the frame. You're never going to get it to match perfectly, but if you put a label in the box saying that it's a conversion kit, it will make sense to the viewer.

* Civilian Marksmanship Program

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    You could check with the CMP and get a military issued 1911. It won't match exactly, but it should be similar. A cheaper route would be to find a RIA or similar cheap 1911 to use the frame. You're never going to get it to match perfectly, but if you put a label in the box saying that it's a conversion kit, it will make sense to the viewer.

* Civilian Marksmanship Program
    That’s a great idea. I didn’t think about CMP
    Thanks

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    I was fortunate enough to know my grandfather during my childhood into my late teens. I was also fortunate enough to have his Colt 1911 passed down to me (served in WW2). My wife got me this Christmas gift a few years back. Wasn’t cheap and took some time to get, but I hang it proudly in my home.

1693014764868.jpeg

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I was fortunate enough to know my grandfather during my childhood into my late teens. I was also fortunate enough to have his Colt 1911 passed down to me (served in WW2). My wife got me this Christmas gift a few years back. Wasn’t cheap and took some time to get, but I hang it proudly in my home.

View attachment 402992
    That’s nice. I need to look into that
    thanks

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I would shop around for a complete gun from the era.
    Swap out the lower with your .22 unit.
    Sell or pack rat the .45 upper parts.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just as an FYI, 1911 pistols were available to the public before WWI, and not long after their adoption by the Army in 1911. At least one is known to have been available for sale in a hardware and feed store in San Francisco after September 3, 1912.

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    You can check the serial number on Colt's website for build year. If it does not come back on the site call customer service. They are very helpful. Might even be able to date the conversion.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    You can check the serial number on Colt's website for build year. If it does not come back on the site call customer service. They are very helpful. Might even be able to date the conversion.

Thanks for the link.here are the results. He was also in one of the last regiments rough riders in the early 1900s. When released, he said he was given his weapons and horse, which he road to New Orleans

Attachments

• IMG_2215.png
      IMG_2215.png
      617 KB · Views: 47
    Last edited:

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Thanks for the link.here are the results. He was also in one of the last regiments rough riders in the early 1900s. When released, he said he was given his weapons and horse, which he road to New Orleans

Only 1911 on there is 1918 and yours is a 1911A1 which began manufacture in 1924, You can call Colt CS and they may be able to help.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Lucky Gunner channel;

Not many guns can evoke the kind of strong emotions the 1911 does. Whether you love it or hate it, chances are, you have an opinion. Today, we're digging into how the 1911 became such a big part of gun culture and why it's a polarizing topic even 110 years after its invention.

This was my first pistol I bought with my lawn mowing pay from Dad. In the 1960s-70s it was my pistol in USMC. I have been a Glock fan boy since 1990s for all sorts of reasons.

Top Bottom