• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    ANY data point can provide useful references, whether you agree with them or not. Yes, there's a ton of other sources to look at - but when you're walking through a gun show and see something really unusual, being able to call a buddy and get some idea of its' history and potential value can be priceless....and online sources won't always have some of the more unusual guns.

For something so unique and rare, getting some history and background is fine. For current production, BB can be lacking, wildly inaccurate (as far as pricing) and completely missing data. OP’s gun is not that (super rare and unique) and there is plenty of current pricing data for his valuation. If someone offered me half of what my item is selling for elsewhere, I’d tell them to take a hike.

But hey, show me someone who is selling OP’s particular Colt for $800, as you say is fair, and I’ll buy right away no haggling.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    For something so unique and rare, getting some history and background is fine. For current production, BB can be lacking, wildly inaccurate (as far as pricing) and completely missing data. OP’s gun is not that (super rare and unique) and there is plenty of current pricing data for his valuation. If someone offered me half of what my item is selling for elsewhere, I’d tell them to take a hike.

But hey, show me someone who is selling OP’s particular Colt for $800, as you say is fair, and I’ll buy right away no haggling.

We come from different perspectives. I can buy ANYTHING if I'm willing to pay the asking price. I'm a collector - so I have to buy "right" if I'm going to continue to grow my collection. With well in excess of 100 1911's now, it's made a big difference on the budget. I might make 6 offers to have one accepted, and that's fine. But thing is, I've been known to buy 4-5 at once (even on this very forum) because I had the $$ in hand and was ready to act immediately. I've seen some good deals on this forum that sat around while folks hemmed and hawed. If they'd have interested me, I get all excited and whup out the wallet.....lol

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

That video spells it out quite well. Many say that you can "tune" a series 80 to be "almost as good" - but as they state in the video, it's NOT going to be AS good, and the mods needed can be pretty finicky. A range/truck/knock-around 1911, the 80 series firing system doesn't bother me as much - but if I'm carrying it for serious protection/shooting, then it's a series 70, period - and IMO they (series 70) are worth more.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    We come from different perspectives. I can buy ANYTHING if I'm willing to pay the asking price. I'm a collector - so I have to buy "right" if I'm going to continue to grow my collection. With well in excess of 100 1911's now, it's made a big difference on the budget. I might make 6 offers to have one accepted, and that's fine. But thing is, I've been known to buy 4-5 at once (even on this very forum) because I had the $$ in hand and was ready to act immediately. I've seen some good deals on this forum that sat around while folks hemmed and hawed. If they'd have interested me, I get all excited and whup out the wallet.....lol

No man, we have the same perspective. Value is in the eye of the beholder in the end. I jump on deals all the time when I deem something a really good deal compared to current pricing. I bought a Colts Government 01991 6 years ago for $700, which is I think what OP has. I see that price nowadays, I’d buy 2.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Only 1911 I have left, of the four I've owned, is an 80 and the difference has never bothered me, although I prefer the 70, except it would just be a safe Queen at my age.

I carried it for awhile and it's loss, because of the price difference, would be less of a financial hit.

YMMV ...

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    Can someone please explain the "real" difference between series 70 guns and series 80 guns. Basically why one is higher priced.

For Colt aficionados, the series 70 is more highly sought after than the 80 series. FYI, for Kimber fans, their original Raptor line has the series 70 system, in that it lacks a firing pin block. I don’t know about current production though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom