Colt Defender

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by texas_teacher, May 17, 2009.

1. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    God I felt one of these this weekend and this is what my fiance and I have been looking for... We are avid Colt fans with the Mustang and the Plus II being in our collection and would love to hear what everyone has to say about this little beauty... I also wanted to see if there was in the Austin area that was willing to meet out at the range to let me put a couple through it... I'd be willing to let you fire anything that I've got and also pay your range fee or buy you lunch whatever... I just really want to see how Colt has tamed that little devil of a 45 in this compact beauty...

2. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    When I was looking at a compact, I looked at the Defender and the Colt New Agent and liked them both.

I ended up going with a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and I like it.

I am sure that the defender, agent and ultra are all very similar in how they shoot. I really thought recoil was going to be worse than it is, you might want to check with Reds and see if they have one you can rent to shoot if noone here speaks up...

3. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Good luck in your serch. I finally bought my first Colt pistol (Commander XSE, SS, 38Super) a couple of months ago. I really like it. Ammo is a little expensive but pretty easy to find.:patriot:

4. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Yeah I love the look of that Kimber and if I had a couple more C-notes to drop on it I loved the feel of the Raptor in my hand at the gun show this weekend... now that thing is a true work of art... I looked at Red's and they don't list it as an available rental... and no offense to those on the forum that are employed at Red's but I don't shop there unless I really have to because everytime I've been in there it's just been one bad experience after another... so coincidently I was just in there yesterday and once again my fiance and I had another pitiful experience where she was wanting to see a gun and there are four employees standing around and not paying attention to any of the customers... oh well to each his own right?

But in your opinion the recoil is really manageable?

5. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Yes the recoil is totally manageable. and the gun is accurate. I have small hands and a 1911 works well for me and the compact fits and conceals well in my cross breed holster. Now if my CCL would just get here.

As for price, I got my Kimber for less than the Defender that was for sale next to it....but the Kimber wasn't stainless, and the defender is, so that is the reason for the price difference....

6. smschulz

smschulz Paid for CUT TGT Supporter

Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    The Colt Defender is a nice little gun. I do admit is not the freindliest shooter compared to the larger models. I also have a Commander and a Gov't sized Combat Elite. I like the size and it is a sexy littly pistol but with the increased recoil it is somewhat harder to manage and you have to watch out for brass occasioally whacking you in the forehead or learn to 'shoot and duck' . I still like it but only ocasionaly shoot it for that reason.

My Defender (with a little EMP influence):

DefenderCCR.jpg

7. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Which Kimber did you end up going with? I also felt the Raptor this weekend and it is a sexy beast I just don't know if I can justify that much for my first 45... especially not when a DPMS .223 is on the buying list...

8. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Gotcha thanks for the insight... "shoot and duck" I like that I'll have to remember that when I pick one up:texas:

9. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I got the Ultra Carry II, much cheaper than the Raptor :)

P1010003.jpg

10. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    that's a nice piece...