• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    I've had both the Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Colt Defender. If making a choice between the two I will take the Colt without question. Kimber makes a nice firearm, but the clearances are extremely tight and take several hundred rounds to break in. I had 3-400 rounds through mine and was still all over the target with it. When I got my Defender, it was spot on right out of the box. (Got rid of the Kimber shortly after that.)

For a 3" 1911 I think it's very comfortable to shoot, VERY comfortable to carry, and I trust it to function 100% of the time. Just my $0.02. :D

EDIT - WOW, just looked at the original thread date. This thread is WAY old... hopefully someone still gets some use from it though.
    DK Firearms

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    C_M Shooter,

This might help your wife with the slide. Either way it is good info. I passed on some of these ideas to my father since his strength is failing.

Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

Thanks, but we have it worked out. She can operate a full size if she pulls the hammer back first and gets an overhand grip on the slide. She just doesnt have the hand strength to hang on to the Defender slide (she says if the serations were better she could do it). That's okay, cause the Defender is mine, and is usually on my hip. She has access to the 38 Super and likes it that way.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, but we have it worked out. She can operate a full size if she pulls the hammer back first and gets an overhand grip on the slide. She just doesnt have the hand strength to hang on to the Defender slide (she says if the serations were better she could do it). That's okay, cause the Defender is mine, and is usually on my hip. She has access to the 38 Super and likes it that way.

You can have a gunsmith install a weaker mainspring in the gun which will make it easier to rack with the hammer forward. The 1911s are grossly oversprung anyways.

SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW
    I picked the Defender over Kimber, Springfield and don't regret it a minute. No issues what so ever with the gun. Got some brass in the forehead once or twice but can't remember the last time this happended. Highly recommend you give the Colt a look if you can find one!!! Not sure I care for the New Agent but may pick one up in 9mm for the heck of it, or a 9mm defender.

Top Bottom