• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a Colt LWC I bought from another member here a few years ago. It was my 3rd 1911 at the time and have since sold my Colt gold cup. It has pretty much been a safe queen after function testing with a few flavors of fmj. My favorite and 1st 1911 was a Stainless Smith 1911 SC. I still remember the guy at the pawn shop remarking that he would have no problem selling it if I flaked out after ordering it.

It has seen a couple modifications over the years but also spends a lot of time in the safe. I would say I regret selling the gold cup but I'm not much of a collector and I've got no kids so se la vie. I always liked the thought of a double stack or 1911 chambered in 9mm but that's another story.

Anyhow, with everything gun related shooting through the roof, I've considered letting the LWC go. However, the more I look into it, the more my instincts tell me to hold onto it. The overall number of LWCs out there seem low or at least there aren't many listed as if most people are holding onto them. With Colt now changing hands once again I'm starting to appreciate having an original.

This particular LWC is a two tone model chambered in 38 super. I happen to also have a fair stock of ammo, brass, bullets and a die set for it. The question is... Keep or sell ? I don't know if it's rare enough to keep going up in value but I also don't need the cash right now.

Unfortunately I'm away from home right now or I'd post pics. I have feeling moonpie will show up sooner or later to brow beat me into posting some but for now, anyone have an opinion or good insight to share ?
    Capitol Armory ad

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey 247,

That 38 Super? Its not eating anything!

I'm at the "Hold 'em" ...... stage...

Not easy to replace items that are sold/traded.......

Or....just send it here.....I'll feed it regularly! :twin:

It will mate nicely with my Combat Commander....

Later, Mark
    Bo Mar Commander.jpg

Reactions: gll

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Keep it. Maybe get a 9mm barrel fitted to have another caliber, if you want. I've seen more .38 Super on the shelves than 9mm lately. No reason to get rid of it if you don't have to.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Similarly, I have a Colt Series 70 Combat Commander Satin Nickel NIB that my dad bought from a friend and gave to me in the late 80's. Years ago, I almost took it out to shoot, but I had a couple other 1911's and just didn't see the need... What money it's really worth, IDK, but I see used on GB for $1500-$2000. Thing is, I don't know what I'd spend the money on if I sold it..., so, it sits in the safe.

FC06XXX
    Year of Manufacture
    Model
    Combat Commander

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I'm with the rest... unless you REALLY need the money, I'd keep it. Colt Commanders are highly desirable.... I don't think they will do anything but go up in value. I had one back in the late 70's that I sold on impulse, and have regretted it since.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Here it is people...serial number confirmed it's a 2012 talo edition. Just taking it out and fondling it a bit has renewed my appreciation for it. Everything just feels right about the lightweight commanders. Brilliantly conceived pistol. Think I'm more likely to buy another 38 super than to sell this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_223122896.jpg
      IMG_20210302_223122896.jpg
      3.3 MB · Views: 74
    Top Bottom