Colt Python

Austin

Jan 20, 2009
Converse(San Antonio)
Alright ,uys, I've just got to know what is so spectacular about the Colt Python. I don't have any experience with one, Don't know much about them. But to me they just look like a discontinued Large frame Revolver that is SO expencive. Someone tell me what I am missing.

mac79912

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Mar 4, 2008
I wish you lived in El Paso.I have a 4" python that my dad gave me when his department made him start carrying a Glock 22.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
The Python is the Bentley of revolvers. A Bentley is expensive and requires expensive maintenance. There is no debating the beauty of a Python. The accuracy of a Python. The wet dream of a trigger of a Python. The sturdiness is questionable though. If you want your Python to remain well timed, shoot few magnums or be prepared to send it back to Colt periodically.

For my money, a Smith L-frame (586/686) with a good trigger job is pretty much the equal of the Python. It will withstand many years of a constant magnum diet and never give you a problem. It just depends on what you want it for.

Yes, the Python is still the standard by which all others are judged.

Austin

Jan 20, 2009
Converse(San Antonio)
Thanks Guys, I have noticed that they were lusted after like no other I just needed to know why. I'm not really in th market Mostly because I can't afford one, I have a S&W Model 60 in .357 2" and I Love it, it is remarkably acurate with .357's in it, but when I start to load .38's in it I'm all over the place. Is this normal? Is it just me? thanks guys.

zembonez

TGT Addict
Feb 22, 2008
Republic of Texas
Been years since I fired one but smooth comes to mind. They feel like a very nice handmade machine. Apparently I am not the only one who thought so.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio
When I was 16, my cousin let me shoot his, but I didn't know what it was at the time. All I remember was that it was big, shiny and totally badass looking. I remember how smooth the cylinder spun and the solid sound it made as the wheel was locked into place. The gun just plain felt solid without being too heavy. The trigger is still probably the smoothest trigger I've ever pulled on a gun. With a good, solid grip, you can put them where you're aiming.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
Thanks Guys, I have noticed that they were lusted after like no other I just needed to know why. I'm not really in th market Mostly because I can't afford one, I have a S&W Model 60 in .357 2" and I Love it, it is remarkably acurate with .357's in it, but when I start to load .38's in it I'm all over the place. Is this normal? Is it just me? thanks guys.
Because the bullet out of the .38 case has to jump to the "throat" and then the forcing cone, some .38 ammo has dismal accuracy through .357 revolvers. You might try a different brand of specials to find something that is more accurate out of your M-60. For accurate, low recoil practice ammo, try light loaded .357 ammo.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads