• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Alright ,uys, I've just got to know what is so spectacular about the Colt Python. I don't have any experience with one, Don't know much about them. But to me they just look like a discontinued Large frame Revolver that is SO expencive. Someone tell me what I am missing.
    Lynx Defense

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    I wish you lived in El Paso.I have a 4" python that my dad gave me when his department made him start carrying a Glock 22.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Python is the Bentley of revolvers. A Bentley is expensive and requires expensive maintenance. There is no debating the beauty of a Python. The accuracy of a Python. The wet dream of a trigger of a Python. The sturdiness is questionable though. If you want your Python to remain well timed, shoot few magnums or be prepared to send it back to Colt periodically.

For my money, a Smith L-frame (586/686) with a good trigger job is pretty much the equal of the Python. It will withstand many years of a constant magnum diet and never give you a problem. It just depends on what you want it for.

Yes, the Python is still the standard by which all others are judged.

Austin

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Thanks Guys, I have noticed that they were lusted after like no other I just needed to know why. I'm not really in th market Mostly because I can't afford one, I have a S&W Model 60 in .357 2" and I Love it, it is remarkably acurate with .357's in it, but when I start to load .38's in it I'm all over the place. Is this normal? Is it just me? thanks guys.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Been years since I fired one but smooth comes to mind. They feel like a very nice handmade machine. Apparently I am not the only one who thought so.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    When I was 16, my cousin let me shoot his, but I didn't know what it was at the time. All I remember was that it was big, shiny and totally badass looking. I remember how smooth the cylinder spun and the solid sound it made as the wheel was locked into place. The gun just plain felt solid without being too heavy. The trigger is still probably the smoothest trigger I've ever pulled on a gun. With a good, solid grip, you can put them where you're aiming.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Thanks Guys, I have noticed that they were lusted after like no other I just needed to know why. I'm not really in th market Mostly because I can't afford one, I have a S&W Model 60 in .357 2" and I Love it, it is remarkably acurate with .357's in it, but when I start to load .38's in it I'm all over the place. Is this normal? Is it just me? thanks guys.

Because the bullet out of the .38 case has to jump to the "throat" and then the forcing cone, some .38 ammo has dismal accuracy through .357 revolvers. You might try a different brand of specials to find something that is more accurate out of your M-60. For accurate, low recoil practice ammo, try light loaded .357 ammo.

cbunt1

Feb 5, 2009
    Houston Area
    As for the Python, next time you're gonna be in Houston, touch base with me--I'll let you shoot mine.

I can talk about them all day long, but to truly appreciate one, you have to shoot it. BTW--I'll be the first to tell you they're overpriced. I inherited mine, and wouldn't part with it--but I wouldn't buy one for myself.

OTOH, it took me a long time to accept that the silky smooth DA trigger was a Python only thing without some good trigger work...made it hard to accept an otherwise excellent DA trigger out of the box on any other wheel-gun....:)

HardRock

Dec 7, 2020
    I agree with all, the Python is the top of the top, I have a 4" nickel, 1976 in pristine condition. Will never let it go.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Its very nice to see new members digging through and even resurrecting old threads - shows initiative, instead of starting a new duplicate thread.
    Well done HardRock!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Its very nice to see new members digging through and even resurrecting old threads - shows initiative, instead of starting a new duplicate thread.
    Well done HardRock!

The newbie conundrum:
    Way to resurrect a necropost, newb!
    ...and also...
    Didn’t you use the search function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom