• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My mind is not made up. Other than FN I dont think those other rifles mentioned have the track record is all. I'm sure they are fine rifles.
    You don't understand the government contract system. FN underbid Colt, but there are many that bid. It's not about who has the best, it's about who can make them cheaper and still be within specifications and has the capacity to build the order.

Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    More that you probably have. I know it is more than I have, but that wasn't the discussion.The KAC SR-16 is arguably the best AR pattern rifle made today. Are you woke yet?

No my question is what rifle is better than the Colt for 1k or under. Are you awake?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    More that you probably have. I know it is more than I have, but that wasn't the discussion.The KAC SR-16 is arguably the best AR pattern rifle made today. Are you woke yet?

I would argue the HK 416 for DoD contracted AR-15 style purchases.

However, ‘best’ is subjective, quality can be measured. Which is where the MIL-STDs come into play.

From a DoD perspective, so long as the assembled firearm complies with the MIL-STD, its of acceptable quality.

Now, when you delve into effectiveness, that’s where SOCOM and the guys in Crane, IN get into the picture via specialty contract vehicles and production for mission specific requirements.

But the average M4 per unit price is $650-ish. Think about that for a minute; if you’re paying more than that for a 6920, you’ve overpaid.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No my question is what rifle is better than the Colt for 1k or under. Are you awake?

Plenty of rifles can be built or bought that are as good or better than Colt's for the same or less money. Here was my response to the facebook post by a gun grabbing liberal. Unbeknownst to me a person I know is a former gun range owner.

Colt.png

Attachments

• Colt.png
      Colt.png
      17.2 KB · Views: 378

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I think what is meant is that the FN M4A1 and the Colt M4A1 are basically identical. Also, contract cost was less at some point because FNH got the contract instead of Colt. Colt was underbid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can anyone buy it at this price?

Price is irrelevant as there is profit that has to be made.

If a manufacturer loses money on the .gov contract, they have to make it back somehow. That comes in the form of pricing available to the public.

As far as quality goes, one can assemble an AR composed of entirely MIL-STD parts and have the same measurable quality as a 6920 for less than $1K.

There’s also no shame in brand; that’s part of the overall reputation of a product and a value proposition, which Colt is a master of.

Now, the reason .gov prices are why they are is because .gov views the product as a commodity built to MIL-STD quality requirements, not as an investment.

Most individuals view the product as an investment, which is something else Colt recognizes and factors into their pricing.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What does Colt offer over BCM, PSA, RRA, Stag, Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Spikes, and about a few dozen other AR makers? They are all the same basic gun, regardless of what anyone says. Other than a few minor improvements and possibly a higher quality barrel, one AR is not going to be superior over another. I would happily put my mutt of a rifle against any Colt any day of the week. I have no doubt that they would perform at similar levels.

Also, basing a rifle's superiority on a military contract is completely ignoring the fact that a military contract is more dependent on cost more than anything else. There are hundreds if not thousands of better combat arms that were never adopted throughout history because a cheaper alternative was "good enough". Go watch Forgotten Weapons and you'll see plenty of examples of that. If you choose to ignore that fact and base your argument on a military contract, then your argument is worthless in my opinion.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Small Arms Solutions has some great videos about Colt and others. I believe he worked as a contractor and/or directly for Colt when they were developing their modern weapons.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    What does Colt offer over BCM, PSA, RRA, Stag, Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Spikes, and about a few dozen other AR makers? They are all the same basic gun, regardless of what anyone says. Other than a few minor improvements and possibly a higher quality barrel, one AR is not going to be superior over another. I would happily put my mutt of a rifle against any Colt any day of the week. I have no doubt that they would perform at similar levels.

Also, basing a rifle's superiority on a military contract is completely ignoring the fact that a military contract is more dependent on cost more than anything else. There are hundreds if not thousands of better combat arms that were never adopted throughout history because a cheaper alternative was "good enough". Go watch Forgotten Weapons and you'll see plenty of examples of that. If you choose to ignore that fact and base your argument on a military contract, then your argument is worthless in my opinion.

And yet none of those rifles have the track record under harsh environments that the Colt and now FN have. They have proved themselves in combat and that is of value TO ME.

Boldkharma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Plano
    What exactly does Colt do differently than these other companies that would allow them to function better under adverse conditions?

The better question is what does Colt do at a sub par level that has allowed them to prove their combat worth after all these years? Colts are combat proven, the others not. This is why I choose Colt and its a free country and you can buy what you want.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom