• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    There's a sporting goods shop about a mile from my house that is selling a Colt-branded M4 look-alike chambered in .22LR for around $530 out the door. I got a good look at it a few days ago, and I'm honestly impressed with the feel of it. Good balance, weight, and everything functions like it should. Receiver says that it was made by Carl Walther over in Germany, under license for Colt.

How rare/hard to find are these rifles (guy behind the counter said they only had one in stock, didn't know when they'd get another in), and is it worth what they're asking for it?
    Military Camp

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    They've been out for a few years, not rare... personally I think the S&W 15-22 is a better buy... they sell for $425 - $450 for the basic model, and they use standard AR fire control parts and all controls are in the standard AR location and functional (charging handle, safety, bolt stop/release, mag release). That can't be said for all AR clones.

Good luck.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The rifle you looked at is solid. Made by Walther in Germany, marketed by UMAREX in the USA, and licensed by Colt.

If Colt licenses its M4, then it must have trust in the licensees.

I bought an early one. The recoil mechanism is adjustable for a variety of .22 ammunition once commonly available.

The only problem I had was with the iron sights. The front sight was set up for 100 meters. I called UMAREX in Arkansas, and they sent me a fifty yard front sight post within three days and did not charge me for it.

Replacement magazines are hard to find locally, but I ordered a couple of extras from Midway. If you shoot off a bench, order the 15 round mags -- they are shorter and won't bang into the bench.

I don't know current pricing, but I paid a way bit more than you quoted. It was for the M4 "Tactical."

More than once, people at the range walked up to me and asked if I was shooting a suppressed M4. I asked them if they saw a can at the end of the barrel. That really got some interest when they found it was a lowly .22 LR.

So far, I'm happy with CCI 40 grain mini mags. Have not had to adjust the recoil mechanism, and accuracy is about 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

If it is a new gun you are looking at -- good buy. If used, tell the seller to take it back and refund your money if it is a turd, or no deal.

Last edited:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    It's brand new. There was still a bit of factory grease in the chamber when I checked the rifle.

Dunno if it's the tac model or not. Just know that it looks a lot better than the trio of M&P 15-22s and Mossberg 715Ts it was surrounded by.

Worth noting that this same shop has a GSG STG-44 and a pair of GSG MP5 clones as well, at similar prices (450 for the STG, 350 for the MP5 clones).

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    They're common enough. There was a lot of talk about the Umarex being airsoft guns, and they shouldn't be making 'real' firearms. Aside from some strange parts, and detail cleaning being a nightmare... I haven't heard of anyone having real problems.

I've run the Colt M4 and the HK 416 versions... both shot well, and no problems. Heck, one day I ran a bunch of subsonic 22 LR through the 416 clone and had no issues at all.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Sure, and it's not a specific example for that exact rifle... but rather something to look into.

So we know an AR is... well more or less an AR. Commercial vs. mil spec buffer tubes differ, and most hand guards are made for DI, and may take some altering for piston conversion. Anyways, when it gets down to it an AR is generally an AR.

When you start getting into clones, there are things that may LOOK similar, but be slightly off. Your trigger guard may be installed the same, but slightly different measure measurements so you can't swap it out for the magpul one. Or the '"buffer tube" may not take different stocks as easily. The grip may be mounted slightly differently, or trigger assembly not easily replaced. Maybe you want anti-walk pins, but they don't sit right.

I guess the best way to say it is that it's a .22 that looks like an M4, not an M4 chambered in .22LR. Not a bad thing, just stating that if you grab the Colt/Walther/Umarex and expect to slap on every left over AR part in the drawer, there's a good chance something isn't going to fit right.

Just food for thought.

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    I briefly had one, got it in a package deal. Shot a few hundred rounds through it, no issues, fairly accurate. It got sold in short order as I have more than enough 22s without it, nothing against the rifle at all, I just bought it for the Spikes flare launcher the guy had under it.

I'd second the comment about the difference between an AR15 that shoots 22LR and a 22LR that looks like an AR15, there are differences both in price and parts interchangability.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Sure, and it's not a specific example for that exact rifle... but rather something to look into.

So we know an AR is... well more or less an AR. Commercial vs. mil spec buffer tubes differ, and most hand guards are made for DI, and may take some altering for piston conversion. Anyways, when it gets down to it an AR is generally an AR.

When you start getting into clones, there are things that may LOOK similar, but be slightly off. Your trigger guard may be installed the same, but slightly different measure measurements so you can't swap it out for the magpul one. Or the '"buffer tube" may not take different stocks as easily. The grip may be mounted slightly differently, or trigger assembly not easily replaced. Maybe you want anti-walk pins, but they don't sit right.

I guess the best way to say it is that it's a .22 that looks like an M4, not an M4 chambered in .22LR. Not a bad thing, just stating that if you grab the Colt/Walther/Umarex and expect to slap on every left over AR part in the drawer, there's a good chance something isn't going to fit right.

Just food for thought.

Ah... See, that's what I like about my Chiappa upper. Everything on it is mil-spec, at least in regards to measurements. Hell, it even says in that things manual that you can ditch the polymer upper and slap the parts onto any mil-spec upper you want. I'll have to look into this Colt clone a bit deeper, but I can't imagine it being -too- far off.

Top Bottom