• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    So I picked up a WASR 10 a few months back and I like it. I think the AK bug has bit. Looking at picking up a 74 and eventually a PSL. Not sure what the general impression on either is, no experience with either personally. I hear the Arsenal is top of the line for 74's and obviously there's not any choices with the PSL. Seems like all the Com Bloc stuff is drying up since the ban, prices going up. Probably the wrong time to get into these but I've got all the American stuff I could ever want and I like shooting new stuff. Which should I get first? What is everyones experiences with these rifles? I'm hoping Major Madmax chimes in, he's a Com Bloc guy!
    Guns International

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm hoping Major Madmax chimes in, he's a Com Bloc guy!
    I'm sure that he will. In the mean time I am a also a fan of these platforms. I have a few in my collection also.
    The PSL is dream gun of mine now. I missed the sub-$1,000 dollar days although currently I have been seeing them come down a little on the used market. As low as $1,200 for an original Cugir, but mostly $1,500+ depending on what all comes with it. It is more of a long range DMR supported shooter sinces it's a long action and heavy. If you like the AK platform than it is basically a scaled up version like a AR-10 is to a AR-15. Ammo still seems to be around when I am paying attention.
    The 74 is a great flat shooting carbine that can hold it's own with most AR carbines. An Arsenal SLR-104 although no longer imported can be found in great used condition for less than the PSL depending on how it' set up. It fills a different role usually than the PSL. I would say that the Arsenal is up there with the tops in the 74 line up of rifles produced and usually most AK variants for that matter. 5.45 ammo seems to be a bit more scarce these days with ammo import restictions. :(
    In a perfect world I would have all of them.

Last edited:

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm sure that he will. In the mean time I am a also a fan of these platforms. I have a few in my collection also.
    The PSL is dream gun of mine now. I missed the sub-$1,000 dollar days although currently I have been seeing them come down a little on the used market. As low as $1,200 for an original Cugir, but mostly $1,500+ depending on what all comes with it. It is more of a long range DMR supported shooter sinces it's a long action and heavy. If you like the AK platform than it is basically a scaled up version like a AR-10 is to a AR-15. Ammo still seems to be around when I am paying attention.
    The 74 is a great flat shooting carbine that can hold it's own with most AR carbines. An Arsenal SLR-104 although no longer imported can be found in great used condition for less than the PSL depending on how it' set up. It fills a different role usually than the PSL. I would say that the Arsenal is up there with the tops in the 74 line up of rifles produced and usually most AK variants for that matter. 5.45 ammo seems to be a bit more scarce these days with ammo import restictions. :(
    In a perfect world I would have all of them.
    yea I see the 7.62x54R ammo at wally world but not the 5.45x39. Academy has it but in limited amounts. Probably end up buying on line. No different than 6.8SPC or 6.5Grendel

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just my opinion, but I would pass on both. Here's why...

I have a PSL and while it's a cool rifle, I just don't get that great of a thrill out of shooting it. I got mine when they were still relatively cheep ($800), and am only holding on to it as the price of the things keeps rising; but if I ever get a chance to trade it (I never sell firearms) for something interesting (most likely another AK), I'll won't hesitate to let go of it. And inexpensive 7.62x54R is getting tougher and tougher to find (you can usually find it at gun shows, but not at the prices it used to be).

As for an AK-74, I've avoided that itch simply because I was concerned about the ammo. I've shot them before and honestly, it's just like shooting an AR (they pretty much have the same terminal ballistics). I just wasn't impressed with it, which convinced me to stick with 7.62x39 rifles. Also recall back in 2016 7N6 surplus ammo was ruled as being “armor-piercing” under Federal law and banned from importation. It can still be found at around the same price as 7.62x39, but until the ban is lifted (and who knows if/when that might occur), I would always be worried about it drying up. Many former Warsaw Pact countries that used it are now in NATO and converting to 5.56 weapons, which means all if not most 5.45x39 will come from Russia.

So how do you scratch your itch? Well, the WASR was a good first choice (I just advised a buddy of mine to get one for his son for Christmas) but building a Kalashnikov collection these days isn't as cheap as it used to be. In fact, at one point those Romanian AKs were down to $299 (I should have bought a case of them!). A higher end AK, such as a Saiga, is now running closer to a grand if you can even find them (they aren't as prevalent as they used to be), but try Atlantic Firearms as they probably have the best selection (but not the cheapest prices) on AKs these days. That being said, don't automatically assume all AKs are equal, some of the newer production Serbian made PAPs have had issues, and whatever you do, steer clear of anything offered by Inter Ordinance (IO)! Look around at what Atlantic has to offer, do a little research, and if you find anything that's of interest and in your budget that doesn't have a bad rap then go for it! I suspect your WASR has a fixed stock, so maybe a side or underfolder would be an option.

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Very well worded response major. If the 74 does nothing my AR's in 556 cant do and ammo is a pain, I'll probably steer away. Maybe another 47 variant like you said. Russian or Bulgarian ? Does it make a difference? I'm not really in a rush so if I happen across a good deal on a PSL I might pick one up down the road.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you can find a nice milled Bulgarian, such as a SLR-95, you've have one of the most desirable AKs around. They are tough to find, but prices haven't gotten ridiculous as they have with other rifles. With patience you might be able to score one in the $800 range.

One of my favorite AK variants is the Hungarian AMD-65, a carbine built for paratroopers, tankers, etc. Look for a FÉG SA-2000M version, not the parts kit builds that Classic was selling. The latter aren't bad rifles, but the originals are more desirable. The easiest way to distinguish the difference is the front sight. One the original AMD, it's just before the gas tube; on the parts kits it's up towards the muzzle (see pic below). They can also be found in the $800 range, but it may take some looking.
    Original vs Parts Kit.jpg
    Another variant that really isn't an AK but is very similar is the Czechoslovakian Vz58. It's a short-stroke gas piston but shares no parts with Kalashnikov rifles, including the magazine. It does use the same 7.62x39 round. Century produced a model built from parts kits they called the Vz2008 that has been one of the best products they produced, and can be found in the $450-550 range if not cheaper. The real beauty of the Vz is you can easily swap out the fixed stock with a folding one with only a large screw driver...
    100_0071 - Copy.jpg

The Slovaks had them when I was there 93-94, and they still use them today (in addition to the M4). I love mine, and have the more coveted beech wood furniture versus the more common "beaver barf" (wood impregnated plastic). They are lighter than an AKM and have aluminum magazines. Accessories are a little harder to find but aren't that much more expensive. Bayonets are relatively easy to score, but again the beech wood ones are rarer and more costly.

Cheers! M2

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you can find a nice milled Bulgarian, such as a SLR-95, you've have one of the most desirable AKs around. They are tough to find, but prices haven't gotten ridiculous as they have with other rifles. With patience you might be able to score one in the $800 range.

One of my favorite AK variants is the Hungarian AMD-65, a carbine built for paratroopers, tankers, etc. Look for a FÉG SA-2000M version, not the parts kit builds that Classic was selling.
    I have and TGI import AMD-65 that I absolutely love! I also have a newer AMD-63 that I am in the process of turning into a SA-85 clone. I love the hungarian variants also!

Picking up either of these from classic will still get you a FEG reciever rifle that I anticipate to climb in value eventually.

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    If i HAD to choose between the two you listed, i would go with PSL. Im not a fan of the AK74 cause of the ammo as well. THe only rifle caliber i personally own is 7.62x39. Stay away from anything american made (century builds NOT imports - my friend has a c39v2 and almost died when after 1k rounds the bolt carrier and dust cover sheered off and almost took out his face). WASr 10 is great, so is arsenal, and as madmax mentioned, Atlantic sells a very nice polish WBP AK

Top Bottom