• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Another thing I liked about the Gerber Strongarm. The sheath was compatible with molle. Of course I bought mine for around $75 and they look to have gone up in price since then. I looked for metal type in durability and being able to sharpen easily. I researched and this was the best I could find in my price range.

Certainly there are cheaper and more expensive knives out there, and I would always recommend to research for what would work best for you. There are plenty of reviews on Youtube on most every knife out there.
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I still have this Gerber Mk I I bought more than 40 years ago. They are exceptionally well-built knives!!

20211229_145114.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A combat knife isn't going to be a good utility or bushcraft knife...

A fighting knife is a specialty tool while a bushcraft/utility knife is a jack of all trades.

I have an Fairbairn-Applegate as my fighting knife (actually two... one a Boker, one a Blackjack) It works, very well. It is razor sharp and will slip between the ribs and into the heart on its own weight... I can kill with it just as fast as with a bullet to the lungs, only quieter.

My utility knife is an ESEE4. Very solid knife and I am happy with it. I wish it was a more corrosion resistant steel. It does take and hold an edge. You can't have everything...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    92f7cb3f6afc1c60d499311630d6580f.jpg
    ^^^^This^^^^

A bushcraft knife, also sometimes called a camp knife and a combat knife are two very different knives with very different purposes.Construction can be bery different as well. Blade parameters are different because they are used in different ways. Bushcraft knives are made for making shelter and cutting wood for campfires. Combat knives are primarily for self-defense and up close and personal silent killing. Both of which dictate blade design and materials.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I think a good Kukri can make a good bush craft knife as well as a a fine combat weapon.
    American's have been making & carrying fight/bush knives since we got here. People didn't have incomes for multiple types of knives. When I think of bush knife/fighting knife bowie knife, USMC Bolo, OSS Smatchet, Kabar, many bayonets, a shit load of Randall's are just a few that come to mind.

Then there's shit like cutlasses & short swords too.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Look at SEO knives on Ebay for bush craft style, I have a couple Bowie knives that are well made by them

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I use a Cold Steel Cane Machete. I carry it on my four wheeler, and I can’t tell you how often I use it to clear brush. A Kukri style knife/machete is also an excellent choice. Look around. SOG, Cold Steel, and others make various Kukri-style knives/machetetes.

I had never even heard of one (Kukri) until I was in my late 50s, but I swear it’s an excellent shape for utility knife/machete. It’s what I would want if I was in the bush and only had one blade.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    In all seriousness: get the idea of one knife out of your head.

As mentioned certain jobs call out for different tools. Though I can’t say I have experience fighting with a real knife, I do have experience using knives and other tools outdoors.

Knives are not the end all answer. Here’s how I pack: a cold steel trailhawk, two or three knives, and a 1/2” fero rod.

Ain’t no knife going to do what that trailhawk has and can for me.

The next best tool would be my afghan bush. It’s role is for lighter chopping and more shaving for fires.

Then you will need something that gets it done well as a game and fish knife. My two are a cold steel finn bear and a buck 119 special. Those do not see any chopping or wood shaving.

AlteisenMkII

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2022
    San Antonio,TX
    A combat knife isn't going to be a good utility or bushcraft knife...

A fighting knife is a specialty tool while a bushcraft/utility knife is a jack of all trades.

I have an Fairbairn-Applegate as my fighting knife (actually two... one a Boker, one a Blackjack) It works, very well. It is razor sharp and will slip between the ribs and into the heart on its own weight... I can kill with it just as fast as with a bullet to the lungs, only quieter.

My utility knife is an ESEE4. Very solid knife and I am happy with it. I wish it was a more corrosion resistant steel. It does take and hold an edge. You can't have everything...

92f7cb3f6afc1c60d499311630d6580f.jpg
    I recall the Smachet being a similar but heavier blade from Applegate's designs.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    American's have been making & carrying fight/bush knives since we got here. People didn't have incomes for multiple types of knives. When I think of bush knife/fighting knife bowie knife, USMC Bolo, OSS Smatchet, Kabar, many bayonets, a shit load of Randall's are just a few that come to mind.

Then there's shit like cutlasses & short swords too.
    You can snipe with any rifle, but a sniper rifle is a specialized, niche rifle in the same way you can fight with any edged tool including a e-tool, but not every edged tool can claim the title of "fighting knife".

If I was limited to only one knife I would lean towards my ESEE4, but would consider a LMFII/Strongarm or Kabar MkI or the like, but if I was going in knowing I was going to be stabbing and cutting flesh I dont think the Applegate-Fairbairn has an equal to its task.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You can snipe with any rifle, but a sniper rifle is a specialized, niche rifle in the same way you can fight with any edged tool including a e-tool, but not every edged tool can claim the title of "fighting knife".

If I was limited to only one knife I would lean towards my ESEE4, but would consider a LMFII/Strongarm or Kabar MkI or the like, but if I was going in knowing I was going to be stabbing and cutting flesh I dont think the Applegate-Fairbairn has an equal to its task.

IMG_3911.JPG

This old Black Jack AWACS is as much a fighter as what you mention. I don't see any reason for serrations on a fighting knife as they came about for cutting rope more so.

I take a tomahawk to a knife fight in a heart beat too.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    View attachment 337493
    This old Black Jack AWACS is as much a fighter as what you mention. I don't see any reason for serrations on a fighting knife as they came about for cutting rope more so.

I take a tomahawk to a knife fight in a heart beat too.
    I have to agree with @cycleguy2300 on this. Any knife could be used as a weapon, or even pressed into use as survival knife as well. But blade designs and material for specific types of usage dictates the primary use of the knife.

I agree, a tomahawk can make a fine fighting tool if needed. Also a very verasatile tool for many uses as well.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    I have a machete for the light stuff and a Woodmans Pal for larger things. Don’t have a fighting knife yet.

Attachments

• 7AB32A64-6B62-47F7-A1E1-E68510DA3BDA.jpeg
      7AB32A64-6B62-47F7-A1E1-E68510DA3BDA.jpeg
      25.6 KB · Views: 68
    Top Bottom