Common ATVs/Quads

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by Shorts, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I mentioned in my 'Bikeless' post I'm taking a liking to the idea of triking a Monster. It would be a 2-1 which as I understand it is the better way to setup a trike for stability and handling. The front end seems to be easiest to fab up by using an atv/quad front end. That said, what makes and models are out there that are fairly common? I'm thinking I'd like to find the Chevy 350 of ATVs to use as there should be a good amount of parts as well as be reasonably priced to find a donor, thinking of the dime-a-dozen Chevy 350.

What do you think?...ABOUT THE QUAD

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
  3. Shorts

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, that's been suggested. I'm not a fan of how they look and I've always wanted a Ducati. Tim says I have to go look at one even if I don't choose it. So I think maybe this weekend I might go out to farmer's branch to the shops out there. I know they have one. I'm using the "if you'll spend that much on something I don't want, how about spending on an acceptable alternative I do want?" :happy0001:

I'm not really happy of going to a trike and I'm not 'required to'. But I'm willing to make some compromises if I get the machine I want.

4. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    If Tim will let go of the money, here is another one. It has an automatic transmission, radio, air conditioner & heater, yadda, yadda........
    DFW Stallion of Dallas - Home Page

5. Shorts

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    lol He'd make me sell my truck. And I'm not selling my Cummins to buy a Ford. :lolz:

6. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    One thing about Ducati's, especially ones with the Desmodronic valve setup, is that they're pretty expensive to maintain. Valve adjustments are a b**** because the valves don't use springs - there are separate cams and rockers to open and close the valves. Awesome bikes, though. :happy0001:

7. Shorts

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The older ones will need to be kept an eye on. Nothing to worry about though. We've had a Duc in the garage before and there will be more :)

8. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    +1 on the cummins. Those run forever! Im starting to not like fords at all.

9. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Yamaha Blasters come up on Craigslist fairly often either blown up of without motors. They were built for a long time, so finding wider aftermarket A arms and a sway bar shouldn't be difficult.

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I was going to mention some very common atv's to you, but my experience is with utility 4x4's. I would think you'd want something from a sport oriented bike, because it would be designed for higher speed stability.