• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I mentioned in my 'Bikeless' post I'm taking a liking to the idea of triking a Monster. It would be a 2-1 which as I understand it is the better way to setup a trike for stability and handling. The front end seems to be easiest to fab up by using an atv/quad front end. That said, what makes and models are out there that are fairly common? I'm thinking I'd like to find the Chevy 350 of ATVs to use as there should be a good amount of parts as well as be reasonably priced to find a donor, thinking of the dime-a-dozen Chevy 350.

What do you think?...ABOUT THE QUAD
    Hurley's Gold

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, that's been suggested. I'm not a fan of how they look and I've always wanted a Ducati. Tim says I have to go look at one even if I don't choose it. So I think maybe this weekend I might go out to farmer's branch to the shops out there. I know they have one. I'm using the "if you'll spend that much on something I don't want, how about spending on an acceptable alternative I do want?"

I'm not really happy of going to a trike and I'm not 'required to'. But I'm willing to make some compromises if I get the machine I want.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    One thing about Ducati's, especially ones with the Desmodronic valve setup, is that they're pretty expensive to maintain. Valve adjustments are a b**** because the valves don't use springs - there are separate cams and rockers to open and close the valves. Awesome bikes, though.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The older ones will need to be kept an eye on. Nothing to worry about though. We've had a Duc in the garage before and there will be more :)

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Yamaha Blasters come up on Craigslist fairly often either blown up of without motors. They were built for a long time, so finding wider aftermarket A arms and a sway bar shouldn't be difficult.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I was going to mention some very common atv's to you, but my experience is with utility 4x4's. I would think you'd want something from a sport oriented bike, because it would be designed for higher speed stability.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions yall. Since its been cold lately its been hard to think about bikes. I think on some level too is been a nice mental break to step away and relax to get my head right after the get-off. I still wanna ride, I'm just taking all the time I need being bikeless.

I have poked around here and there but not too much. I've started to consider small dual sports just to get back to simple fun. The downside is those bikes aren't in place on the highway. And they are in the same price range of a nice Monster 620-750. So, I need to evaluate what I want and need the bike for. It's hard to say!

Top Bottom