• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you’ve got four kids under the age of five, and they can’t sit still, be quiet, and behave themselves for the duration of a formal ceremony, please don’t bring them.

While you may be fine with disrupting the event, it’s a disservice to those the formal ceremony is being held for.
    Capitol Armory ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    They are just expressing themselves.

It's part of the "everybody gets a trophy", "don't expose them to the real horrors of the world too soon", SNOWFLAKE movement. Bunch of sissies we be raising. Even their parents would drown while trying to get out of a plate of water!

Don't get me started. Whoops. Too late...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Y'all obviously have not bought into the child discipline is child abuse line the liberals have been espousing for decades now.

Parents who received no discipline are not likely to discipline their kids. Happens sometimes, but not real often.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Y'all obviously have not bought into the child discipline is child abuse line the liberals have been espousing for decades now.

Parents who received no discipline are not likely to discipline their kids. Happens sometimes, but not real often.
    I think it's happening more and more. Much more often than not that I observe in public places, especially in a big city.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There were 7 kids altogether in my family. None of us went anywhere until we were old enough to know how to "shut the hell up" in the words of my old man lol

My old man practiced preemptive discipline - stopped the car a couple of blocks from the destination and gave me a couple of swats on the butt with his hand as a preview of what was to come if I didn't behave.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I aint got kids yet but if and when I do, I'll beat that ass if they do something worthy of a ass whoopin. It's how I was raised and worked out well. Army reinforced that same mentality for me when I was in.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We were in a restaurant and our then 3 or so daughter was raising a fuss. I said, 'Come on, were going home. "
    At 3, that's appropriate.

Younger than that, no. A 2-year-old can be expected to act out and there's not a lot that can be done about it. Physical punishment isn't generally effective because the whole cause-and-effect thing isn't a firm concept in their minds yet. Yet I've seen people beat a 2-year-old to try to keep them quiet. It didn't work and I wouldn't expect it to. A good parent simply doesn't bring a 2-year-old to a lengthy, formal, sit-there-and-be-quiet event.

The OP specified "under 5" and that's a range where the developmental milestones come fast and hard. A 5-year-old should be able to sit quietly for a while but I wouldn't expect them to endure, say, a full hour+ of a church service without getting restless. That's why my last church had a kids church, internally. The little ones stayed in the main sanctuary for the initial greeting, song, and prayer. Then they all left to go to a different room where they had their own service that was more, shall we say, relaxed.

Personally, I'd say anyone with 5-year-olds who brings them to something formal where they must keep quiet for a long period is either:
    • an excellent parent who has taught their children how to behave in public, or
    • a parent who doesn't care.
    In the former case, when the kid acts up the excellent parent will remove the problem from the venue. In the latter case, that won't happen and I believe it's the parent who lacks discipline, not the kid.

Top Bottom