• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    As some of you may know, I'm in need of a serious fix that only a Kimber Ultra Carry II can cure. I emailed a friend about that particular gun and he alerted me to a problem he's had. He's a Kimber nut and carries a Pro CDP but he owns several 3" 1911s. His exact words were, "I would avoid 3" 1911's at all costs, they are very finicky about ammo, and notoriously unreliable. their is something about the length of side, springs and guide rods that just doesn't seem to mesh with 3" 1911 45's."

Has anybody else had this problem or any other problems or issues concerning their 3" .45 1911's? This will be my main carry gun and I'd like to know if there is something I shoud be aware of. Thanks in advance!
    Lynx Defense

FIREDAVIS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Right now Kimber is in my opinion expirencing a quality control issue. I bought a Eclipse Pro Carry a few months back and I had jamming problems, failing to return to battery, and getting hit in the forhead with brass. I sent my kimber back to them (at their expense) and they replaced some parts and polished the rails and feed ramp. Since I got mine back I have not had a single problem. I had a few friends have the same problem though. I have two buddies that carry UC CDP's as their CCW. They have had no problems at all. Kimber does have a "500 round break in period" this is expensive but their pistols are built very tight. Be ready to run into some issues but Kimber will fix any problem you have. Also if it makes you feel better I am going to pickup another kimber in about an hour, and it is an ultra carry. So I trust these pistols but you have to make sure they are running right before you carry one. Check out this website for more info. Scroll down to the kimber section and look around.

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    A few thoughts:

1) The 1911 was designed as a 5" barrel pistol; anything less is an adaptation (however slightly) less than optimal.

2) It can be made to function reliably at shorter barrel lengths, but the shorter you go the more problematic this seems to be. Colt has pretty well established with the Commander that a 4.25" barrel is as reliable as a 5" barrel. Less than that and "your mileage may vary". Lots of people run 3" 1911's with no problems but there's no doubt in my mind that you hear more complaints from owners of 3" pistols by far than you do from owners of longer-barreled 1911 pistols.

3) A full-size 1911 conceals quite easily because it is so slim. I find the Commander-size (4.25" barrel) to be a little easier to sit with in an IWB holster than a 5". Personally, I don't see a big advantage in size, weight, or concealability in going less than 4.25".

4) I love every Kimber I've ever owned or shot, but I've never had direct personal experience with a 3".

5) It's your decision in the end - do what your heart tells you, not necessarily what others say.

tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I have a Kimber Ultra carry2. I use as my carry weapon. I've had it for 5 months and have put about 1300 rounds through it. The only problem I have had was an aftermarket clip with a too tight spring wouldn't release the round 3 times. other than that 1297 rounds perfectly. never had brass in face, shoots beautifully. I just went to elk castle range here in fort worth about 2 hours ago with my dad. He has a springfield 1911 5 in. We went to compare the two. Both of us felt like the Kimber shot better. Lighter trigger, lighter recoil, lighter weight so easier to put 150 through it in one trip. Both of us were more accurate with it than the springfield. I don't have alot of experience with other guns, but I would say that the Ultra Carry is a perfect weapon for carry. I would happily buy another one. (I really want the CDP but for 1200, well, what do ya do.)

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    In my experience the 3" 1911s work best in 9mm but they can be very hard to find. Three inch 1911s do tend to be more finicky than their larger brethren and it can also be harder do get them to run good. However I would think the ones that run perfect have a much larger percentage of reliability than ones that don't. Uh, I can't back that up with anything though.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you're leery of an Ultra, as many are, what about a Compact? There are fewer models now, but a compact is an awesome carry gun. 4" barrel but an officers frame which is great because the grip is the hardest thing to conceal.

Best of both worlds. I'm eyeballing an old compact now. I have the bug... :D

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I think the shorter the barrel, the harder it is to control, which can lead to FTEs and FTFs. You have to hold it tight and keep your wrist stiffer than with a 5 inch or commander.

Just my observations.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008

My springfield micro has been 100% reliable, excluding one bad magazine(replaced by springfield) and my first batch of .45 ACP handloads(and attempt at loading a rimless pistol cartridge).

My cousin has a Kimber full size(older model) that is pretty picky. My Micro will function with magazines that won't run in his. One speck of dirt and the Kimber doesn't want to run.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    As a general rule, as you shorten the barrel of a 1911, the pistol becomes more picky about proper functioning. Model 1911's with 3" barrels seem to be especially problematic. My understanding is that the sensitivity relates to the shortened recoil rod/spring length. That is why many of us regard the 4"-4.25" barreled 1911's as the shortest 1911 to trust for a primary carry gun. YMMV

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    For the past 12 months I have been saving for a Kimber Ultra and now y'all have confused the heck outta me .I would hate to shell out that kinda cash only to have to send it back for repair to get it to run.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Well, I'm going to take my chances and put a couple hundred rounds through it. If it doesn't work out, I'll trade it for a commander length model. There's always a market for a Kimber.

FIREDAVIS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I went and shot my brand new Ultra Carry yesterday. It was perfect!!! Accurate and not one single issue with the pistol. I put 175 rounds down range and all were where I wanted them. Make sure you clean and lube it before you go out. I have talked to some guys that didnt and they had some issues. Mine sure did need a good cleaning and lube. Overall I am extremely happy with my pistol. Good luck with yours.:D

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well, the shortest 1911 I'd take would be a 3.5" barrel, like the Officers/Compact or Springfield Ultra Carry, and the likes. Never had trouble with the UC and Oacp for carry. Of course, 3.5 is susceptible to issues too. Key is, do you trust the gun?

I think 3" is too short to be reliable.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Shot my Colt series 90 defender and had all kinds of problems with it today.It FTE and FTRB.I was using Magtech 230gr FMJ and have three Colt mags that came with the gun.The problems started early(first 15 rounds)and did not clear up.I stripped the gun down and cleaned it but it did not correct the problem.I will be sending the pistol back tomorrow as I was very upset that I paid $850 for a gun that does not function perfectly out of the box.

NotPC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    DFW
    Compact 45s in 1911 problems

I carry a 3" Kimber UltraCDP on a regular basis. During break-in I had 1 FTF in the first 100 rounds and that was it. No problems since that, and after break-in (over a year ago) I tend to shoot @ 100 rounds a month to keep my hand in. I had the same luck with the Commander sized CDP that sits in my closet (unless my wife has it in the truck, when traveling or carrying live-stock). It is my "house gun" more than a "carry gun".

I will keep changing recoil springs as Kimber suggests on both, but am having NO problems since the first 100 rounds with either pistol.

I did have problems with an Eclipse stainless in 4". Had to send that one back to the factory for warranty work. They fixed it free, but my wife didn't trust it even after that and sold it off to get the 4" CDP we have now. (Can you tell we like and trust Kimber???)

Just my .02 worth...

NotPC

"Life, Liberty, and the Happiness of Persuit"!!

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Another observation.
    Short barrels mean short recoil springs and more limited space for them.
    Short springs do not cycle as smoothly as longer springs.
    Short guns ususally have some sort of compound spring set up which can complicate things (I was going to say compound things but stopped myself or did I?). Any way you got more stuff cycling and more moving parts. That kinda defeats the KISS principle and the 1911 is really a KISS principle autoloader.

Of course I may be wrong but I won't admit it cause this is the internet!:p

I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on the internet. My opinions are based on my experience of shooting 1911's for 49 years 5 months and 24 days approximately.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    A few thoughts:

1) The 1911 was designed as a 5" barrel pistol; anything less is an adaptation (however slightly) less than optimal.

2) It can be made to function reliably at shorter barrel lengths, but the shorter you go the more problematic this seems to be. Colt has pretty well established with the Commander that a 4.25" barrel is as reliable as a 5" barrel. Less than that and "your mileage may vary". Lots of people run 3" 1911's with no problems but there's no doubt in my mind that you hear more complaints from owners of 3" pistols by far than you do from owners of longer-barreled 1911 pistols.

3) A full-size 1911 conceals quite easily because it is so slim. I find the Commander-size (4.25" barrel) to be a little easier to sit with in an IWB holster than a 5". Personally, I don't see a big advantage in size, weight, or concealability in going less than 4.25".

4) I love every Kimber I've ever owned or shot, but I've never had direct personal experience with a 3".

5) It's your decision in the end - do what your heart tells you, not necessarily what others say.

Brainiac, thank you for saving me from typing all that you said. I agree 100%, except for #4. I had a Kimber once and now I don't. 'Nuff said.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    I'm at 450 down range with my Ultra Carry and have had zero problems. Though slides shorter than 4.25" are notorious for reduced reliability. I'm looking hard at a 4.25" Bobtail Kobra Carry from Ed Brown for my next gun.

Top Bottom