• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    In that situation I want the best pistol possible, to heck with the cost.
    I am a 1911 guy. Have been since my Army days back in 1968. I love all quality 1911s, but I carry a Glock 19 because I know it will go bang every time I pull the trigger. That will be my main concern if I ever get in a position where I need to use a firearm.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Over the past several years I've sort of jumped around on short barrel 1911s.
    Two Defenders, two Kimber Refined Carry Pistols, one Colt New Agent, a SIG Ultra, A Rock Island Armory Compact.
    The end result of all that? They all work and work 100% of the time. All of them more accurate than I am.

When I was working it was in an office with business casual dress code and a "Don't ask, Don't tell" concealed weapon policy.
    That meant front pocket carry and most days that meant a 3" 1911 in a leather pocket holster in my cargo pants.

You would think that with all of that experimentation that I could proclaim a "Best 3" 1911". I did like the Kimber RCPs and the Colt New Agent because neither configuration had sights on top of the slide. Truly whip it out, and shake it, spray and pray pistols.
    No snag, low drag.

What I can tell you....
    The beauty of the 1911 for a carry pistol is in it's slimness. I install slim bushings and slim grips just to suck it in as close to my body as possible. Ok look, I have big hands but a carry pistol should be "carry everyday, shoot now and then" so I made the adjustment necessary for slim grips....and now I like them.

All of that is about pocket carry, and I do realize that this is a very specialized assignment for a 1911. At the end of the day, pocket carry is THE only reason I would consider a 3" 1911.

On days that I could set my shirt tail free my preferred mode of carry was in my waistband. A 3 inch 1911 is exactly as slim as a full size Government model. IWB carry led me into exploring bigger pistols concealed under my shirt tail. The "perfect" configuration turned out to be CCO models. That is an officer frame with a Commander size slide. The butt of a 1911 is the area most difficult to conceal and that short officer's frame is just the ticket.

Someone mentioned SIG pistols.
    I have a C3 and had an Ultra. The fit and finish is outstanding and they come with checkered front straps and great sights. I would recommend a SIG any day.
    View attachment 227295 View attachment 227296 View attachment 227297

Yep, slim grips/bushings.

However, I carry either a CCO or compact 1911 as EDC OWB. I don't pocket carry.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That is why I carry 1911's.

oldag,

IF you are going to carry a 1911 pistol, MY personal preference for a EDC is a Colt's Commander with the slim grips that other members mentioned earlier.
    (As I will be EDC in the nation to which we are likely retiring to, at least part of the year, my EDC will be a "lightly customized" Commander in .38SUPER.)

Fwiw, there are a considerable number of Armand Swenson-ized pistols around on the used market, though those are anything BUT inexpensive.

just my OPINION, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am not going to go into a long diatribe of Glock vs. 1911, or a rehash of that particular debate.

But, 1911's have been around for over 100 years now. I think they have been proven beyond any doubt to those that know pistols even casually. Personally, I love the platform and have loved and owned for that my fair share of 1911's over the years. They are still a great pistol.

But no pistol platform is the best or the end all to pistols, and never will be, regardless of whether its a 1911, or a Glock. They all have their pros and cons. That's just a fact of life.

I own 1911's and polymer pistols and like them all for what they are. When asked what should a person carry? That all depends on many factors. Some people ask about carrying a 1911. They can be great EDC pistols without a doubt, for the right person. They aren't for everyone though.

I break it down to simplicity. If a person isn't into hands on with their guns, and likes to spend the necessary time with care and maintenance, then a 1911 or it's types might not be the best option. IMO, a polymer is for those that want to carry with the least amount of fuss and care over their EDC pistol. A 1911 requires more care and attention to retain it's reliability, than most polymer pistols.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    oldag,

IF you are going to carry a 1911 pistol, MY personal preference for a EDC is a Colt's Commander with the slim grips that other members mentioned earlier.
    (As I will be EDC in the nation to which we are likely retiring to, at least part of the year, my EDC will be a "lightly customized" Commander in .38SUPER.)

Fwiw, there are a considerable number of Armand Swenson-ized pistols around on the used market, though those are anything BUT inexpensive.

just my OPINION, satx
    Everybody has their favorites.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am not going to go into a long diatribe of Glock vs. 1911, or a rehash of that particular debate.

But, 1911's have been around for over 100 years now. I think they have been proven beyond any doubt to those that know pistols even casually. Personally, I love the platform and have loved and owned for that my fair share of 1911's over the years. They are still a great pistol.

But no pistol platform is the best or the end all to pistols, and never will be, regardless of whether its a 1911, or a Glock. They all have their pros and cons. That's just a fact of life.

I own 1911's and polymer pistols and like them all for what they are. When asked what should a person carry? That all depends on many factors. Some people ask about carrying a 1911. They can be great EDC pistols without a doubt, for the right person. They aren't for everyone though.

I break it down to simplicity. If a person isn't into hands on with their guns, and likes to spend the necessary time with care and maintenance, then a 1911 or it's types might not be the best option. IMO, a polymer is for those that want to carry with the least amount of fuss and care over their EDC pistol. A 1911 requires more care and attention to retain it's reliability, than most polymer pistols.
    I would beg to differ.

Care and maintenance are needed by ANY gun - pistol, revolver or rifle.

Can you explain how you think a 1911 requires more care and attention? I can't think of any rationale for that statement.

I shoot 'em and clean 'em. Nothing else is required.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I would beg to differ.

Can you explain how you think a 1911 requires more care and attention? I can't think of any rationale for that statement.

Care and maintenance are needed for any gun. Yes I agree. But my 1911's get a different level of care. In that parts are more carefully inspected for wear and damage. Springs are replaced more often.

My polymer pistols just get cleaned and oiled and a casual inspection for wear and tear.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I would beg to differ.

These are just my opinions based on my observations and experiences of owning and shooting many 1911's for over thirty years. My procedures in care and maintenance seem to work for me as I apply them to 1911's.

As I said, I like the 1911 platform, and have for may years. But I also realize that they are not the right choice for everyone.

I do spend more time when maintaining my 1911's that other guns. Could be because they are some of my more shot pistols though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ok. Personally, I don't inspect any gun differently than other. I don't clean or lube any gun differently than any other. I have never had cause to do so in over 50 years of shooting.

A recoil spring is a recoil spring. No need to replace them any quicker in one than another.

But to each his own.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Ok. Personally, I don't inspect any gun differently than other. I don't clean or lube any gun differently than any other. I have never had cause to do so in over 50 years of shooting.

A recoil spring is a recoil spring. No need to replace them any quicker in one than another.

But to each his own.

I'm simply passing along my opinions, observations and experiences to others. What others may do, or don't do with that information is entirely their choice to make.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Understand.

When broad statements are made like gun A requires more maintenance/care than gun B, such statements can arise from one of two perspectives. First, personal preference (e.g., always did it that way). Second, there is some science behind the assertion (e.g., this part is made of plastic and will be more prone to fail than if it were metal - speaking generically here and not starting a tupperware battle).

I try to separate the former from the latter.

Related to mechanical objects, we all have things we do which can be from habit, what we were once told, etc. but yet we really have no true engineering/scientific basis for these things. Then there are things we have studied, researched, etc. and we have a sound engineering/scientific basis for doing them.

The latter avoids misperceptions and makes us question our opinions and practices.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Understand.

When broad statements are made like gun A requires more maintenance/care than gun B, such statements can arise from one of two perspectives. First, personal preference (e.g., always did it that way). Second, there is some science behind the assertion (e.g., this part is made of plastic and will be more prone to fail than if it were metal - speaking generically here and not starting a tupperware battle).

I try to separate the former from the latter.

Related to mechanical objects, we all have things we do which can be from habit, what we were once told, etc. but yet we really have no true engineering/scientific basis for these things. Then there are things we have studied, researched, etc. and we have a sound engineering/scientific basis for doing them.

The latter avoids misperceptions and makes us question our opinions and practices.

Mine comes from a background in mechanics. Items that get used more often many times need more attention in regards to care and maintenance. Also in regards to manufacturing process' and materials used to make an item come into play as well. All metal pistols are going to wear differently than a polymer pistol.

My maintenance regimen is based upon usage. The more that a particular pistol is shot, the more care and maintenance I think it requires.

Six.Eight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2020
    Kileen
    I don't carry off-property, but my spouse does, so I traded my Defender to him. Seems to be the right size for concealed carry, and after re-working the trigger, slide, and other parts of the gun, a magazine can be fired incredibly fast.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I don't carry off-property, but my spouse does, so I traded my Defender to him. Seems to be the right size for concealed carry, and after re-working the trigger, slide, and other parts of the gun, a magazine can be fired incredibly fast.
    I think I've probably mentioned this earlier in this thread or some other, but I also have a Defender as well as a Commander and love them both. The Defender has a laser grip red dot and makes it very easy to shoot right on target. If the red dot is on the target, (and it can be adjusted) that's where it hits every time. It works better than the sights on the gun especially with my old eyes! It's very easy to carry it concealed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I think I've probably mentioned this earlier in this thread or some other, but I also have a Defender as well as a Commander and love them both. The Defender has a laser grip red dot and makes it very easy to shoot right on target. If the red dot is on the target, (and it can be adjusted) that's where it hits every time. It works better than the sights on the gun especially with my old eyes! It's very easy to carry it concealed.

Charlie,

I hear you about "old eyes" at 73YO. - I can NO LONGER see to shoot my deer rifle AT ALL without using a scope. = OPEN sights are a DEAD LOSS for me now.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    What month in '47 were you born in?

Charlie,

03NOV46. = Election Day.
    (ALL that I want for my 74TH birthday is a LANDSLIDE for the GOP from the WH to the local school board.)

Fyi, I'm SICK TO DEATH of the HATEFUL, RACIST, SELF-RIGHTEOUS, LEFTIST DIMocRATS = They make me want to VOMIT.

yours, satx

Top Bottom