ARJ Defense ad

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    i have had great experiences with sig (minus my recently purchased P938 legion but hopefully that is just a defective magazine issue!) ... for the price and the reviews i have read, seems like a good choice...i really think the kimbers are beautiful but worry about their "high maintenence" aspect....even the gun sales people whom i have spoken with and love kimbers agree with the pickiness of them regarding ammo, magazines, etc. and i would prefer something a little easier and less finicky :) ... i would definitely get a colt but those are quite a bit more than i can get the sig for...if money were not a consideration, i would get a colt defender! :D
    I cant argue against that. I had a Sig P238 that I was very happy with, until I finally found a Colt Gov't 380.
    So you raised my interest and I went on a search... Has Sig discontinued its ultra compact 1911? I looked it up on the Sig website and couldn't find it?

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    I cant argue against that. I had a Sig P238 that I was very happy with, until I finally found a Colt Gov't 380.
    So you raised my interest and I went on a search... Has Sig discontinued its ultra compact 1911? I looked it up on the Sig website and couldn't find it?

hmmmm i am not sure if they discontinued it or not...there are some e-tailers that are still selling them brand new so maybe it is a recent thing? ...i am okay with a gun that is a year or so old as long as it still works ;) otherwise, there is always the used/gently used resale route :D

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    i have had great experiences with sig (minus my recently purchased P938 legion but hopefully that is just a defective magazine issue!) ... for the price and the reviews i have read, seems like a good choice...i really think the kimbers are beautiful but worry about their "high maintenence" aspect....even the gun sales people whom i have spoken with and love kimbers agree with the pickiness of them regarding ammo, magazines, etc. and i would prefer something a little easier and less finicky :) ... i would definitely get a colt but those are quite a bit more than i can get the sig for...if money were not a consideration, i would get a colt defender! :D
    Sig 1911 Ultras are excellent pistols. All of mine have been flawless with good fit and finish.

Kimber went through a stretch where there seemed to be quite a few quality complaints. I think this was four or so years ago when they really ramped up production. Have not heard so much lately.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I went to the SAXET gun show today in San Antonio. The selection was not as good as I had hoped, but I got to look at and put a lot of guns in my hands; Colts, Sigs, and Kimber compact 45s. I also put some 9mm in my hands; even Tupperware-types, but I still detest them.
    Honestly what I'd love to have is a compact 45 that is compromise in size between say a Sig 938 and a Sig Ultra 45, but no such animal exists.
    I finally found a good deal on a used Colt Defender, but the same dealer also had a good deal on a new Kimber Ultra CDP... Tough choice... Too tough, so I got them both.
    20201003_211006.jpg

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    I went to the SAXET gun show today in San Antonio. The selection was not as good as I had hoped, but I got to look at and put a lot of guns in my hands; Colts, Sigs, and Kimber compact 45s. I also put some 9mm in my hands; even Tupperware-types, but I still detest them.
    Honestly what I'd love to have is a compact 45 that is compromise in size between say a Sig 938 and a Sig Ultra 45, but no such animal exists.
    I finally found a good deal on a used Colt Defender, but the same dealer also had a good deal on a new Kimber Ultra CDP... Tough choice... Too tough, so I got them both.

nice!! congrats!! please update once you have the chance to shoot both and let us know your thoughts :D

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    nice!! congrats!! please update once you have the chance to shoot both and let us know your thoughts :D

TxGirl, another option you might look at are the SA EMP 1911's. They are not cheap, but are very well made pistols. A friend of mine has the 40 caliber and it's awesome to shoot. I have an older similar SA Micro Compact 45, but that pistol was discontinued some years ago. SA makes some really great 1911's.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    View attachment 229225
    Excellent choices! I've had a Defender for many years and love it. Extremely easy to carry!

txgirliegirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    TxGirl, another option you might look at are the SA EMP 1911's. They are not cheap, but are very well made pistols. A friend of mine has the 40 caliber and it's awesome to shoot. I have an older similar SA Micro Compact 45, but that pistol was discontinued some years ago. SA makes some really great 1911's.

thanks for the recommendation! wish you were going to make it to the GTG next weekend :(

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Have you looked at an old school Detonics mini 1911?
    They're a bit elusive aren't they? I've found some on GunBroker but I've never held one or seen one in-person, and it seems sellers are quite proud of them. From what what little I know, the Detonics Combat Master is a step in the right direction, although IMO it has a couple other stikes against it; they made the limited sight radius even worse than necessary, and they removed the grip safety.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Excellent choices! I've had a Defender for many years and love it. Extremely easy to carry!
    Does yours have the same type grips? I think the grips feel fantastic, but are darned ugly. I am more concerned about functionality than looks, but I picked up some pretty rosewood textured grip panels in case the ugly rubber ones get too much on my nerves.

I haven't made it to the range yet, but here's first impressions comparing Colt's Defender to Kimber's Ultra CDP after a day of handling, including disassembly:
    - The Defender feels great in my hand. Like a glove. The rubber grips feel so comfortable; like they are melding to my hand. Added that the backstrap is nicely textured, the fit will surely make the gun more controllable.
    - The Kimber feels good too. Although it doesn't have the half wrap rubber grips, it does have very nicely textured (and far more attractive) wood grip panels, AND the front strap as well as the back strap are also nicely textured.
    - Overall the Kimber looks and feels better finished. The Defender has quite sharp edges. Not the Kimber; all its edges are nicely rounded.
    - For better or worse, the Kimber is manufactured at tighter tolerances. This isn't necessarily altogether a good thing. Maybe a similar comparison between M16 to AK47 vs Kimber to Colt's. It might make the Kimber more accurate and the Colt's more reliable. The difference really stands out during disassembly/reassembly; the Colt very easy; the Kimber a little difficulty.

Important to note that the Kimber condition is NIB and the Colt is used. Hopefully I'll get to the range next weekend.

Top Bottom