• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Passed twenty fifty years ago, otherwise I'd Glock up in an instant, but my 1911 muscle memory is strong, effective and don't want to fix what ain't broke at this age. Looking to supplement my old J frame S&W pocket ccw with a compact 1911 (preferably .45, but 9mm, .40 considered).

I'm a big Colt fan, and prefer pocket carry over OWB/IWB, so what am I missing in compact 1911 options in the dying days of 2013, and most importantly, why? Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I also love Colts. I've been carrying my Colt Defender (3") .45 for at least the last 6 years. I've tried others but I keep going back to the Defender. I carry it almost everyday. Regardless of the internet experts that say it doesn't cycle reliably, mine has never missed a beat. I'm sure there are some out there that don't do well but mine has been great. I think one of the problems people have is "limp wristing" which will not allow it to cycle properly and it's much easier to do on the smaller gun than the full size. An Officer's Model would also be great if you're looking for a little smaller carry gun than the full size. Just my opinion based on my experiences.

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A 1911 is a bit much for pocket carry.
    Sig sells a p938 and p238. All the goodies are in the same spot. That you can pocket carry.

Yep, I do own two Government 1911's, and looking for a "compact" on the same platform. Do you/own shoot one of those Sigs? How do you like it, and why? AAMOF, Sig is on my shortlist so far. As is an SA XD. Thanks!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yep, I do own two Government 1911's, and looking for a "compact" on the same platform. Do you/own shoot one of those Sigs? How do you like it, and why? AAMOF, Sig is on my shortlist so far. As is an SA XD. Thanks!

I have and carry the P938 and love it. I have heard a few people complain about the trigger on theirs but mine is actually pretty decent.

Another option might be something like a Para Warthog. I know Chuck has one and is able to carry it in his pocket...depends on the size of your pockets.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    One additional consideration is the Star PD. Alloy frame. I've owned two over the years, sold my last one in 2002. Solid little 45. Do not see them very often now. Wish I had not sold the last one.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The Sig 938 is my pocket carry - it replaced 238's, which replaced the Mustangs. The 238's I sold - the Mustangs ah kept (an' no, they are NOT for sale).

My IWB carry is an STI Elektra. Cabela's carries 'em - and they're well worth considering. I've got several compact 1911's to choose from, and my STI is THE one I tote. 22 oz dry weight, 6 in the mag, one in the chamber.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Another vote for the Colt Defender. I carried mine for years until I changed to an HK45C.
    The HK45C uses the same style safety as a 1911, so doesn't require much change in habits, except for the magazine release.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I know its not a colt, but a Kimber SOLO would be a great pocket carry option.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

Those little sigs aren't 1911. I have a 238. And the muscle memory is the same only it's smaller.

But pocket carry kinda bugs me, I have big legs and it's pretty obvious that I have something in my pocket.

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    That Elextra is one sexy looking pistol. AND an STI to boot, holy (censored).

STI has a number of high quality, excellent 3"-3 1/4" pistols (both 1911s & 2011s) that are worth a look. Most, if not all, are available in 9mm, .40, and .45 and some are available with aluminum alloy frames if weight is a concern.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I too prefer "pocket" carry and do so with my sig 938 (mine is an earlier build and I've had trouble with 115gr bullet ejections - sent to sig twice - so I carry with 124gr bullets and haven't had a problem with the heavier rounds - if you consider this pistol, suggest you get one built really really recently)

my Wife uses her sig 238 for nightstand and vehicle duty - a very nice little pistol

Wife and I have the Pink and Black Elektras in 9mm & .45 as mentioned above, and like 'em much - if STI is a consideration for you the "Shadow" weighs about the same as the Elektra but is less expensive and is available in 9, .40 & .45 calibers

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    That EMP was an absolute dream to shoot. Light, accurate as all get out at 25+- yards with an average of less than 3", and very surprisingly lighter than expected recoil. I really wish I could afford to replace her.

I've been looking at the STI models for years, just can't afford what I want yet.

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Based on the recommendations, checked out STI's website and came away impressed. The "Shadow", in particular, looks like what I had in mind to begin with. Looks like a trip up to Cypress or Conroe is in order to do a hands on comparison with the Colt Defender, which I'm still leaning towards.

Appreciate all the input. Made a list of every pistol mentioned above and am definitely going to attempt a hands on with as many of them as possible.

Top Bottom