Compact 1911 recommendations

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by HarleyMechanix, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarleyMechanix

HarleyMechanix Member

Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Not new to handguns but new to the 1911 platform/sickness. I also recently obtained my CHL. (After only 8 months processing too.) :hammerhead: Anyhoo, I like the idea of a carry version of a 1911 but have some questions on the practical side. Im a big guy (6'2" 275lbs.) so i have no problem handleing a full size 1911. But am wondering how much more felt recoil to expect from an aluminum frame 3 inch. I'm currently looking at Colt's New Agent. Open the thread to experiance and recommendations.

2. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    As far as compact, I have only carried a Springfiled Armory Ultra Compact. I liked it a lot. I now carry an STI Ranger II sometimes. I have fired alloy framed 1911s and it is not bad at all. They are no 5 inch pistol, but not bad. Check out STI as well.

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, I'm smaller'n you are, an' my Wilson is just fine...as are my Kimbers (Ultra CDP an' Ultra Carry) - don't think recoil will be an issue for ya. When's your next day off? Maybe we can sneak over to the range and let you try 'em (you gotta supply the ammo!) ;)

4. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I would definately check out the Kimber UCII, the Colt Defender is a good choice too. You will be able to handle the gun. It may take a little getting used to but you will be fine.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Recoil doesn't get bad til 150 or so rounds, then my hands start to feel it.

6. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The Springfield V-10 is a cool choice too with the ported barrel so you don't feel the .45 recoil in the short gun.

7. shellshook

shellshook Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I have an SA SS Ultra Compact and have no complaints, but carry an SS Colt Defender or Night Defender. My wife carries a New Agent. I won't say recoil is more, just different. 50 rounds at practice at a time is all I'm good for without tiring and changing position.....not to say I'm any gift to the world as a shooter.

8. jsbcats

jsbcats Member

May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I have a Rock Island full size and compact and I really can't tell much difference in recoil, although I don't think the RIA compact is aluminum so that may be why.

9. mmay1

mmay1 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The recoil is not bad at all on the alloy frame compacts. I had an Ultra II that was manageable for me, a not so large and older man. My favorite carry 1911, however, is a steel frame Kimber compact model (an older Covert, actually). It has an officer-size grip and a 4" barrel and is no more difficult to conceal than an Ultra. It has somewhat less felt recoil than my Kimber ProCDP II with the larger grip and alloy frame.

10. HarleyMechanix

HarleyMechanix Member

Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Thanks for all the input/advice. Still leaning toward the New Agent but gonna wait till i can hold one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.