• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I completed my CHL class today and was looking for some suggestions on a compact 45 - my Gold Cup is to heavy to carry but I like a 45 over 9MM
    Texas SOT

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Kimber makes small 1911 style .45's also you could look into the XD's they make a nice compact I personally would buy a XD over a Glock but thats just me. I have a friend that carries the Karr Arms .45 and loves it.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Check out the Glock 36. Compact, light, accurate and goes Bang every time I pull the trigger. It's not a 1911, but for CC it is great. Kahr makes a .45 that is slim and easy to carry too. If you can find a 1911 with a Commander slide on an Officer's frame, they make great carry pistols too. The Para LTC is a close clone of this size. If you have the cash, the new Bill Wilson carry pistol will do very well.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you want non 1911 style, look at the HK USP compact, or an XD. I worry about reliabilty of 1911's smaller than comander

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    My very biased vote is for any Kimber Ultra.

Like this? My plain jane UCII

P1010003.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010013.jpg

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you want non 1911 style, look at the HK USP compact, or an XD. I worry about reliabilty of 1911's smaller than comander

That and the fact that the barrel isn't really a problem to conceal easily. I carry both a Kimber Compact (officer frame and 4" barrel) and now my newly bobtailed Kimber Pro sized which is all steel. The heal of the grip of an officers frame of the Ultra's as above, and the Compact stick out more and are more uncomfortable that the bob-tailed Pro (commander sized) that weighs so much more.

The idea that you need a little gun to carry concealed is a myth. :patriot:

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The local Academy has the Glock 36 and Xd currently instock. I have heard of reliability issues with 1911 platforms having less than commander length barrels, but my Springfield Ultra-Compact has been as reliable as any 5" model I have seen and only has a 3 1/2" barrel. The Kimber I had before that was a piece of junk. Very unreliable. I guess it just depends on the brand and individual pistol.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    The local Academy has the Glock 36 and Xd currently instock. I have heard of reliability issues with 1911 platforms having less than commander length barrels, but my Springfield Ultra-Compact has been as reliable as any 5" model I have seen and only has a 3 1/2" barrel. The Kimber I had before that was a piece of junk. Very unreliable. I guess it just depends on the brand and individual pistol.

I have found a G36 at Top Gun - where I took my CHL. Thanks for the Academy tip, I will check out the local (Sugar Land) one tomorrow.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think I saw a Glock 36 at Academy for like 560+ tax. It had the pinkie extension on it too, which felt nice in my hand. If I could have afforded it, I might have bought it.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I completed my CHL class today and was looking for some suggestions on a compact 45 - my Gold Cup is to heavy to carry but I like a 45 over 9MM
    My HK USPc 45 is my everyday carry.
    I used to carry a Colt Defender and a Sig P239 357sig but the HK is a far better carry in 45.
    The problem with the small frame 45's they are a bit hard to handle when shooting. The HK shoots like a breeze and with the poly frame it carries well too. I carry in a MTac IWB.
    YMMV

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    If you are a fan of the 1911 then a Kimber will fit the bill.
    If you like the plastics then I would give my very biased vote for the XD.
    10 round capacity (13 round extra mag).

19670815.jpg

Top Bottom