• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I want to add a compesator to my AR, but I'm not sure of the legalities involved with such an action. If there is already a thread concerning this subject please let me know, I performed a search but nothing came up. Thanks guys!!!

***Let me be clear, I am not looking for a legal reponse, I would just like to know a good point of reference concerning where to find legal information regrding Compensators in the State od Texas.***
    Venture Surplus ad

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    There's nothing illegal about adding one as long as you have a 16" barrel. If you have a shorter barrel it must be 16" when installed, and it must be permanently attached.

The KX3 is not a sound suppressor, nor is it really a flash suppressor or compensator. The KX3 primarily does two things, it increases pressure in the gas system which can help with short barrels and it directs sound and flash forward which can help with very short barrels in close quarters. Any recoil reducing properties are probably due to it's weight, which is significant.

They're not recommended for carbines longer than 13" as they won't really provide any benefits and depending on how heavily gassed your gun is they can be a detriment.

In my opinion the weight and length are not worth it unless your gun isn't cycling without one. There are much better compensators and flash hiders available.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    There's nothing illegal about adding one as long as you have a 16" barrel. If you have a shorter barrel it must be 16" when installed, and it must be permanently attached.

The KX3 is not a sound suppressor, nor is it really a flash suppressor or compensator. The KX3 primarily does two things, it increases pressure in the gas system which can help with short barrels and it directs sound and flash forward which can help with very short barrels in close quarters. Any recoil reducing properties are probably due to it's weight, which is significant.

They're not recommended for carbines longer than 13" as they won't really provide any benefits and depending on how heavily gassed your gun is they can be a detriment.

In my opinion the weight and length are not worth it unless your gun isn't cycling without one. There are much better compensators and flash hiders available.

But they look freaking cool on a SBR :-) ... Just sayin

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I totally agree with you Hunter it does look sweet! I have a 14 inch with a 3 inch muzzle brake currently I really want to swap, but like it was stated before if it needs to be mounted permanently I will need to know it performs the way I want it to before I make it final.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I totally agree with you Hunter it does look sweet! I have a 14 inch with a 3 inch muzzle brake currently I really want to swap, but like it was stated before if it needs to be mounted permanently I will need to know it performs the way I want it to before I make it final.

Ymm I hate to be the one to tell you this but unless you SBR your rifle you are going be about a 1/2 inch short if not a full inch. OAL on the pig is 1.34 inches and that includes the nut

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Ymm I hate to be the one to tell you this but unless you SBR your rifle you are going be about a 1/2 inch short if not a full inch. OAL on the pig is 1.34 inches and that includes the nut

Don't forget that the OAL of the brake is threading onto a portion of the barrel also, so it needs to be that much longer.

The act of removing the current brake is a violation of the NFA law. You would be wise to just get a 16" upper.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the advice guys, it's starting to sound like more trouble than what its worth so I think I will leave it as is and look into other recoil reducing options.

Top Bottom