Venture Surplus ad

Competing PSA ARs....which is the better rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    My PSA has the Freedom barrel. It shoots much better than I expected after all the junk you read on Arfcom & other places. For an everyday sporting rifle, I doubt it matters all that much. What's he going to be doing with it?

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    My PSA has the Freedom barrel. It shoots much better than I expected after all the junk you read on Arfcom & other places. For an everyday sporting rifle, I doubt it matters all that much. What's he going to be doing with it?

Thanks....that's what I thought too.

Pretty much just target shoot, maybe take some hogs and varmints. And of course just to have.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Yeah, I have two PSA rifles with freedom barrels and they are just fine. I build a rifle several years ago for my father in law with the stainless barrel and it has been great. If the option to get the FN barrel is there, go for it.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    You/He will likely be satisfied with either rifle. I have PSA's with stainless and FN barrels and they all shoot fine with perfectly acceptable accuracy.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Friends don't let friends buy PSA.

You don't post for 2 years and finally drop this little nugget of wisdom?

I've fired a lot of AR platform rifles of almost every brand including Daniel Defense and Geissele and I'd put a PSA rifle up against any of the budget/mid tier rifles and the amount of performance you get out of a rifle has very diminishing returns going up from those price points with the exception of weight. So I have no idea what you're on about.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You don't post for 2 years and finally drop this little nugget of wisdom?

I've fired a lot of AR platform rifles of almost every brand including Daniel Defense and Geissele and I'd put a PSA rifle up against any of the budget/mid tier rifles and the amount of performance you get out of a rifle has very diminishing returns going up from those price points with the exception of weight. So I have no idea what you're on about.

Go check out the Palmetto Shit Armory page on facebook and tell me PShitA is just as good as higher-tier brands. They measurably aren't. The assembly is frequently horrible and they fail guage checks at much higher rates.

If it was possible to sell good ARs for $399, don't you think every other mfgr would be interested in learning how? Wouldn't our military look into awarding PShitA a contract? They never will because PShitA will NEVER meet the TDP. They don't have the manpower of competent assemblers/QC.

It's very much like buying a Yugo and a Corvette, using them both as dailys, then saying they're both just as good when the Yugo breaks down all the time, you have to tweak lots of things for them to work, the accelerator has uneven response, you know it runs rich and its cylinders were undersized from the factory, and neither have ever been to a race track.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Brand snobs.

Or maybe I know what I'm talking about. How many PShitAs you ever seen headspaced? Gauged out?

Hell, the two I had were visually and audibly out of spec. No guages needed. The best part of it all was PShitA making me pay $36 to shop back their defective junk. Can't blame them. If they had to pay shipping every time they took back a turd they'd be bankrupt.

The DJ noises this specimen makes are due to the machinery being ran way too fast and leaving grooves all over the raceway of the receiver AND the rails of the BCG. The buffer tube was just as bad. So it wasnt just one bad part. This is after being greased, BTW.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Psa operates on volume, not quality. For the majority of shooters, psa is good enough, but they can't hold a candle to BCM, SIONICS, radian, DD, larue, etc.

They are better low end rifles than DPMS/bushmaster/oly, but you have to be real delusional to think they are at the level of certian other companies

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Psa operates on volume, not quality. For the majority of shooters, psa is good enough, but they can't hold a candle to BCM, SIONICS, radian, DD, larue, etc.

They are better low end rifles than DPMS/bushmaster/oly, but you have to be real delusional to think they are at the level of certian other companies

Absolutely, but we're talking about .5 MOA etc stuff. An AR15 is never going to be sub MOA with the 5.56 cartridge.

I will take my PSA over anything sub 1k. I built my own AR earlier this year pre pandemic for 1200 and yeah, it's lighter, it shoots more accurately, etc, but I also spent 4 times what I spent on a PSA.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Got a link to that? I couldn't find anything derogatory on any of the offical PSA facebook pages.

I am no longer a member of facebook. Sorry. That's literally the name of the page, though. "Palmetto Shit Armory." I wasn't being obnoxious this time. :p

The PShitA FB pages are run by buddies of Chad Wylie. They'll ban any critical users and delete their comments.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom