• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. Mom's house flooded with about 6-8" of water in it. There was reloading components that got wet. Is any of it salvageable?
    I have primers and loaded ammunition. Can I set them in the sun to dry out and use them? The ammo is 1000 rounds of 30 carbine that dad reloaded.
    There was also primed brass. I know the brass is still good but if the primers aren't is it safe, in general, to decap live primers?

No powder got wet!
    Guns International

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Yes you can de-cap the brass. Just go slow and carefully. The 30 carbine may be good. Pull one apart and see if the powder is dry. then try firing one. Make sure to check the bore after firing.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I was hoping to save some of the ammo. they were separated in 50 round bags that were piled on top of each other. The top bags look like they are saveable. I'll pull a couple from each bag. Thanks.

Do you think the loose, wet primers are trash?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Primers are made wet so if they dry they should be fine as long as they didn't get too much crap in them.

As far as the ammo goes, let it all dry completely and try some.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    What is the state of corrosion on the brass cases. If it's slight discoloration you are probably fine using this as range ammo. If it's heavily corroded I would pitch them. You don't have to knock too many bullets out of a steel barrel with a steel cleaning rod before you damage the barrel to the point it needs to be replaced and that can run more than a couple hundred rounds of surplus ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom