• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I have only shot a bow a few times and trying to get into it. That being said, my buddy has loaned me a bow for now. It is a Bear Whitetail Master. Dont know much other than its not new and I have to put a new string, and sights on it. Was just wondering if anyone knew anything at all about this bow? If I need to post a pic, I can. The limbs kind of recurve into the cams. Thinking it might be from the early 90's??

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT RESTRING BOW YOURSELF unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge. Find a local bow shop and have them restring it and inspect it. You can severely injure yourself with a bow without the proper equipment and knowledge.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT RESTRING BOW YOURSELF unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge. Find a local bow shop and have them restring it and inspect it. You can severely injure yourself with a bow without the proper equipment and knowledge.

I think that is what he was implying, lol......I believe he was going to take it to a shop.....he can always buy my bow, new string and all, hint hint....lol.....

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Yeah, I'm mounting the sights, but not restringing it. What bow do you have for sale, might be interested. Not looking to spend $500 on a first bow, you know. I was unable to dig anything up on this model, which may not be good. lol

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Found this on Gun-Tests.com
    Maybe a 1997 bow?
    Bear Whitetail Master Bear Archery has had a “Whitetail” model in its line since the advent of the compound, with the original six-wheeled 1970s version standing as the industry leader for years. The Whitetail Master, a private label for Bass Pro Shops, is a simpler clone of the current Whitetail in the Bear line.

The Whitetail Master has an axle length of 42 inches, uses machined lite wheels for its power unit (Bear’s house version offers high-performance EZ Cams), a magnesium riser, and conventional recurved compression-molded carbon-fiberglass limbs.

Start My Subscription to Gun Tests Today and Receive 12 Issues for just $24. Gain full access to our entire online library including thoudands of detailed gun reviews and other Subsciber Benefits!

The Whitetail Master comes set at 80 percent let-off, which actually measured 77 percent (65 pounds peak draw down to 15 holding weight) out of the box. The instructions show how the let-off can be reduced to 65 to increase performance and to meet Pope & Young’s scoring standard maximum.

The bow came with two types of arrow rests, a Bear Hug quiver, and a set of T-pin sights at a package price of $179.99. Neither of the other two bows had these accessories. The Whitetail Master also came with a set of instructions specific to the model, while the other two were packed with generic manuals that fit most bows in their respective company lines.

The bow sports a staged, offset grip cast as part of the riser rather than a bolt-on grip handle featured on the other bows. We found the Bear grip to be far more comfortable than the other two, although it didn’t allow the adjustable function featured on the PSE model.

The Whitetail Master, right out of the box at the factory-set 65 pounds peak, averaged 195 feet per second with the 30-inch, 590-grain hunting arrow. Jacking it up to its peak of 75 pounds, the bow averaged 206 fps—not spectacular but certainly plenty fast for treestand hunting.

When the modules were changed to allow 65 percent let-off, the speed at 75 pounds jumped to 231 fps, and the already quiet bow produced even less noise upon release.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Possibly a dumb question, are there minimum string lengths depending on the bow? Need like a 57" this one is 59" wasn't sure if I could adjust the length of pull. Cant find any manual or info on it. I guess bass pro will know the specs and fit it to me?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, they can be strung with reason and set for different draw lengths and pounds. For instance, mine is for a 30/31" draw and I believe set to 65 or 70 pounds. But, also has the wrench for self adjusting. Is your bow a double limb or single? Post up some pics.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    The string is upside down and in bad shape, plus the peep sight is unattached. The rest of the bow seems to be in good enough shape. He found it used and picked it up from a pawn shop on the cheap. It was naked, he had a crappy stabilizer, and arrow rest he through on here. Bear Whitetail Master Compound Bow 001.jpg

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    It has 5 slots that look like you can adjust, a,b,c,d,e but need to know which letter does what. the 65-70 lbs is fine, but the draw length is to long I need like a 30", thats what my buddy has his and it is comfortable. Bear Whitetail Master Compound Bow 002.jpg

Top Bottom