• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My girlfriend really wants a compound bow for her birthday. That's coming up in a few weeks. I have a budget of about 300 bucks. What should i be looking at? She's 30 (turning 31) and is not what I would consider "strong" so I think any draw weight over 30 is going to be impossible for her. Not that I know this. So adjustable is preferred. But I am your expertise mercy as I know NOTHING about archery.
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    See if you can still get a Martin saber in that price range. It’s single cam. Aluminum limb pockets. Really great bow for the money.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Do you have an archery shop nearby? Reason is, many people really into bow-hunting trade up on bows just about every season to get the best and fastest coming onto the market for the upcoming bow season. Many times, they have some really good deals on bows that are maybe one or two years old, that are in dang near perfect shape. And from what I have read and seen on the hunting channels, more and more women are getting into bow-hunting, so there could be the possibility of finding just the right bow for her, at a really good price.

Even if you have to drive a ways to a decent archery shop, it might be worth the money to find the right bow for her. Plus, they can set the bow up for her specifically and outfit her with anything she might need, or want.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It’s all in the sales & service you get at an archery shop. A big box store will sell you a trip to the archery shop!

Pretty much my thoughts. Unless they have a dedicated archery salesman that knows how to set up and tune a bow, I'd steer clear of them as well for the bow. They can sometimes be a good source for other archery accessories.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Is she gunna hunt or just shoot targets?

If hunting you have to think about speed of arrow vs yardage. With only a 30lb draw weight its gunna have to be a less than 5 yard shot...imo. Any further out I doubt you'll get a clean kill.... or more than likely miss the deer. The reason i say that is when she lets the arrow fly, that dear is gunna hear it & start to run. In that split second, that deer is gunna flinch and either cause a missed shot or your more than likely to not hit vitals.
    Maybe a crossbow would be better. Look up some videos of missed bow shots on deer & you'll see what im talking about the deer flinching.
    Even a 70lb draw weight at 35 yards, the deer is gunna flinch.

I'll second making a trip with her to a bow shop & try some out. They usually have an indoor range. She might not be able to draw the arrow back & change her mind. Also the knowledge those guys have would be worth the trip

Deer jumping the string ... 15-18yard shot

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My wife is the same age and the same strength level. She has used this bow for years to smite many a squirrel and rabbit. Its adjustable from 5-70 pounds so she can move up the draw weight as she builds the muscle required. It is $399 currently but it gives you a full setup right out of the box. Most archery shops in the big box stores suck ass though so be ready to take it to an actual archery shop to ensure it is adjusted and tuned up by someone with a functioning brain.

You can also find similarly priced beginner packages at archery shops. Dont forget that she will need arrows, release, target and field tips. If you dont buy a bow that has them by default, it will need sights as well as an arrow rest

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks eveyrone. I plan on taking her here and we're going to talk to a professional -- https://doublegarchery.com/

Awesome. If it's good archery shop, the initial cost might be a little higher than some of the big box stores or chains, but the set-up, tuning, service and instruction will more than make up for the small amount saved in the long run.

Best of luck to your wife.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Thanks eveyrone. I plan on taking her here and we're going to talk to a professional -- https://doublegarchery.com/
    Highly recommend this place. I know the owner, the original on anyway if he is still there. I will warn you. He is a nice guy that will not rip you off. But he is very blunt.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Highly recommend this place. I know the owner, the original on anyway if he is still there. I will warn you. He is a nice guy that will not rip you off. But he is very blunt.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We met Paul, he's amazing. We've signed up to get on the list for a really good bow.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    My girlfriend really wants a compound bow for her birthday. That's coming up in a few weeks. I have a budget of about 300 bucks. What should i be looking at? She's 30 (turning 31) and is not what I would consider "strong" so I think any draw weight over 30 is going to be impossible for her. Not that I know this. So adjustable is preferred. But I am your expertise mercy as I know NOTHING about archery.
    Archery shop first, then pawn shop to buy!

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Archery shop first, then pawn shop to buy!

Understood on saving money…maybe. It is possible that the deal you find in the pawnshop has issues. In some cases it is IMO better to spend a little extra and support the local store especially if you are going to have them tune, repair, setup, and such. That way you build a better customer service experience and you are not throwing in an unknown variable on a bow that you have no information on its history of use/abuse/care, etc.

Top Bottom