APOD Firearms

Compromising run-in with wild boar... what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Texas
    I was hunting for deer last year and was lying prone looking at a creek bed. When I had been there for an hour or two, I started to hear the wind rustling through the leaves of the trees off behind me. I waited for the breeze, but it never came. Then more leaves rustling, but as it got louder, I realized it was coming from the ground, not from up high.

I slowly turned my head back as far as I could. Then out of my peripheral, I saw several wild boar come scurrying through the underbrush behind me. There were 5 or 6 of them, about 20 feed behind me. Meanwhile, I was still lying prone on the ground, holding my 270 facing the other direction. I held as still as I could, and they didn't seem to notice me.

Then after they had made their way through and been gone for 5 or 10 minutes, another boar came along, and he definitely noticed me. He stopped in his tracks and stared at me. Then he started grunting and snorting at me. Once more, I held as still as I could. My heart was racing because I was in a vulnerable position. My hands were both on my rifle, and I had my PPQ at my right hip. I knew for sure I wouldn't be able to flip around and aim the rifle at him in time if he charged, but maybe I could do a quick flip to my back and whip my PPQ out in time.

Anyway, he eventually got bored of me and left. But my heart was thumping for a while there.

What would you have done? Would you have shot at them?
    Military Camp

gummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Texas
    I probably should have. I was also worried about scaring off any deer. But we didn't see any that day anyway...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Depends on a lot of details that probably couldn't be easily conveyed by words. Exact distance, temperament of hogs, was the hog named Inigo Montoya, etc.

I had the same situation in mind recently while hog hunting on the ground. Luckily, I didn't find myself in the situation. I had planned to shoot prone but ended up kneeling instead.

If hunting in a hog prone area on the ground it's smart to have a sidearm of a moderate caliber or a maneuverable semi auto or lever action rifle.

gummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Texas
    Depends on a lot of details that probably couldn't be easily conveyed by words. Exact distance, temperament of hogs, was the hog named Inigo Montoya, etc.

I had the same situation in mind recently while hog hunting on the ground. Luckily, I didn't find myself in the situation. I had planned to shoot prone but ended up kneeling instead.

If hunting in a hog prone area on the ground it's smart to have a sidearm of a moderate caliber or a maneuverable semi auto or lever action rifle.
    Yeah I'll definitely change some things next time I'm out there.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I had a run in with a herd of hogs in a wildlife protection area. About 20 of them - 3 large mommas and a buttload of little corkscrew -tailed babies. The g/f and I were on a hike in the middle of nowhere. I had left my 1911 in the truck and only had a j-frame since I was not supposed to be carrying on this property.

Talk about some tense moments! They came out of some tall grass and were pissed we were there. Grunting. Snorting. I put the g/f behind me and aimed at the most aggressive momma, while feeling completely stupid for being under-gunned.

After the longest 30 seconds in my life, they turned and disappeared into the tall grass.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Makes me think of something that happened to my mom when I was a kid.
    She was cornered in the alley behind our house by a pack of javelinas while she was taking out the trash.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I remember when I was young, I was in a tree trying to snag a wild hog that my old yellow lab mut had cornered. Nearly had one when I fell from the tree. Hog got my leg pretty good but that dog went after the hog and saved me.

Later we were forced to put the dog down after driving off a rabid would that attempted to attack my mother. That was the best dog gone dog in the world.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I remember when I was young, I was in a tree trying to snag a wild hog that my old yellow lab mut had cornered. Nearly had one when I fell from the tree. Hog got my leg pretty good but that dog went after the hog and saved me.

Later we were forced to put the dog down after driving off a rabid would that attempted to attack my mother. That was the best dog gone dog in the world.
    Boo!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lay off that Who Hit John and you will not have this problem.
    It was better when you saw Soviet helicopters.

That fucker was real. It was a Hind.

Probably heading somewhere to meet with the Clintons.

Top Bottom