Patriot Mobile

Compromising run-in with wild boar... what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If you see pigs you won't see deer. Almost guaranteed. If I'm on the ground I have the 40sw ready. Wish I could fing snake shot for it.

USOffRoad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Granbury, Texas
    We all have our opinions but I'd try not to lay prone for starters, here's why... any game has a funny knack for coming at you from the direction you are not facing, happens to me all the time, always ticks me off they don't cooperate more. :)

Because of that I always make sure my XD45 is VERY handy, in my lap or arms reach for quick and silent draw. Whether I'm in a ground blind or the bushes and this has served me well over the years. I've popped more than one deer/pig in the back of the head from 10' like this.

I keep something fast to deploy when in the brush if I'm hunting a short shot area... I'll take my AR in that case, faster and easier to get on target and my .45 is in my lap most likely. Hunt those scenarios like the pigs are armed too...and quite frankly, they are and can hurt you.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    If you see pigs you won't see deer. Almost guaranteed.

not true, I saw 2 deer the last time while the 180# boar I shot earlier was laying dead on the ground 5 foot from the feeder (granted they did not come to the feeder, but I seen 'em)

As to the OP - remind me sometime and I'll related my incident in Goliad, Tx while turkry huntin on my Uncle Bob's ranch when a 40# bobcat tried to bite me in the back of the neck while sittin Indian style with a shotgun across my lap before daylight and my back against the tree........

(and yes my BIL and dad thought i was jokin too, until I showed the claw marks on my chest and back and the teeth marks where my elbow was wedge'd in his mouth)

Pigs don't phase me as ya can hear them coming a mile away.........., that SOB bobcat was 3 foot behind me and until he jumped on me I never heard a peep outta him......

Last edited:

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    If you see pigs you won't see deer. Almost guaranteed.

I often see hogs and deer in the same fields, usually not in close proximity, but sometimes I see the intermixed across a field. At a feeder, that is a different story. If hogs are at the feeder, deer usually won't come in and if hogs come in, deer will typically take off.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom