Join TexasGunTalk

Computer build question

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by Younggun, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    FireInTheWire likes this.
  2. TheMailMan

TheMailMan TGT Addict

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Computers haven't come with manuals in over two decades.

What you're looking for is already on the hard drive. You could print it if you want.

Dinoble1, FireInTheWire and TxStetson like this.
  3. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Little late to the thread, but have another option worth considering:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/think-...es-tiny-/ThinkStation-P330-Tiny/p/33TS3TP330X

Screenshot_20200331-163959_Chrome.jpg

You can pick up a 2nd M.2 NVME 1TB drive (much faster than standard SSD) cheaper from Microcenter, which all together gets you a ton of horsepower & storage, full compatibility with Windows/Linux, Graphics/CAD software, etc., super portable, and at/under budget...

They also have a discount program that'll drop the price a bit:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/military/

ETA: this also gives you a "desktop" small enough to rig up a mobile mount, just need something for display

ETA#2: replaced screenshot, had 1st one had lower-end graphics card...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    TxStetson likes this.
  4. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    Nope, was not on Cyberpower drive and multiple requests in Cyberpower forum about instructions so I am not the only one asking. How do you know manuals are on the drive? No info on case received anywhere and was not the case ordered, no manuals of any kind on their website. I checked Dell and downloaded all of the manuals before ordering and they were excellent as usual. Need to replace something, all info is there.
    I have built many computers and servers and was upset with how little provided by Cyberpower. The keyboard alone has a program to control the lighting of the keys but no instruction on how to use the program. It is a very complex little program too. No help from Cyberpower customer service. Same for the mouse. Does it work well, yes and my grandson loves doing gaming on it, after I configured everything. Damn lights give me a headache but I am not a kid. The only instructions on the case were to remove 4 screws and remove the insulation.
    I have bought Cyberpower before and were good computers, lasted many years with only replacement of fans. I still have the manuals for those old computers as well as the box and files that the motherboard came in, all of the drivers, etc. Not any more.
    Dell has been superb for me. Lenovo above looks good too. Dell gives a veteran discount if you ask and are eligible. It is not hard to find a fast well designed computer nowadays. If you go Cyberpower pick out what you want and see if you can find manuals for the parts that you order before hitting the buy button.

5. newbirdhunter

newbirdhunter New Member

Jan 15, 2015
    as a former photographer, I can tell you Photoshop is a memory hog and a half. Use an SSD drive but learn about using a separate disk as a "scratch disk" if you are not. I agree with others who have recommended a gaming machine as they usually have better video cards with its own memory and more RAM memory. I run Mac and stopped programming in Windows many moons ago so not sure what improvements have been made but if Windows can now use the full amount of memory your machine has (I believe some time back no matter how much memory you had Windows maxed out at 16 or 32MB), get as much as you can. With an SSD, a good video card, and plenty of memory you should be good to go.

FireInTheWire likes this.
  6. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why is it called a “scratch disk”?

The models I’m looking at now include 1TB SSD and 32gb ram. One as a Ryzen 9 CPU and RX 5700 XT GPU, the other has a Ryzen 7 3800X CPU and Nvidia RTX 2070 Super GPU.

Figured the 1TB SSD would handle the storage requirements and negate the need for a second HDD with projects moved to external HDs once complete or just offload old projects every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    The main reasons you want 2 drives is to seperate "processing" IO (e.g. Storage IO directly associated with active processing tasks) from your Operating System, so that one doesn't 'bog down' the other. Also, so you don't accidentally run out of space on the system/OS drive and cause your machine to puke.

Also, keep in mind that Storage IO is often the main performance bottleneck (at least with most modern computing platforms & common non-gaming tasks), and NVME Flash is by far the fastest currently available - way faster than SSD, and so much faster than HDD that it's not even worth the comparison...

8. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    ****, ya lost me at NVME flash.

Got the SSD vs HDD part though.

They also say they have “NVME M.2” SSD interface...

9. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Here's one that I'm using in my P330 (it supports 2 of these).

https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Check out the read/write IO specs on these, then compare to any SSD ;)

ETA:

M.2 NVME:

53fc5258b26e439310506d0fc16ad7a0.jpg

Standard SSD:
    9c8b03ac091f3e2e5402714c14777de1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks. So NVME is a form of SSD, correct?