Computers Anybody?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by zembonez, Mar 9, 2008.

1. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Anybody in here build or work on their own PCs?

I've built a few hundred over the last 5 years. I always have "extras" around. Some as orphaned projects, some that I build and sell, etc. My home network of PCs is ridiculous. I'm forever upgrading or building my personal machines... Everybody in the house has one or two of their own or a laptop.

Am I the only one?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I currently have 2 PC's and 1 Laptop that you may be familiar with already, lol.

I need to sell my old PC.

Latest Build:

AMD 64 Dual-Core 5200 Windsor Core Processor w/ Factory Cooling
    Asus Deluxe AM2 Motherboard
    GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Graphics Card (Factory Clock)
    Corsair 2GB 800mhz RAM
    Thermaltake 500W Power Supply
    WD 160GB SATA2 Hard Drive
    Asus SATA DVD-ROM Drive
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Audio Card

Nothing incredibly fancy, just a good bang for the buck machine that will run just about anything out there.

Recently traded my 19" Dell LCD monitor for a fancy 22" Widescreen HDMI Samsung. It's one of the best things I've done :)

3. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Post up that PC you need to sell in the classifieds... never know.

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm definitely into computers. I currently have 2. One is pretty bare bones and is my work dedicated computer, the other is my game machine i built a year or 2 ago and is already outdated. I used to work for AMD and have literally built thousands (probably between 2-3k) of computers as I'd be multitasking several hundred on test suites at a time. Believe me it gets pretty boring! My current one is:

-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2ghz, though ~2.4-2.5ghz is supposed to be the actual speed, it's just de-clocked)
    -Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    -GeForce 7600GT video card (only 256mb video ram)
    -2gb of ram (PNY I think)
    -Soundblaster Audigy gold or something audio card

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I've always been an AMD fan. Hands down better in my book. My current PC is a P4 because a buddy of mine was a giant Intel fan and we both built a new machine a couple of years ago now so I tried one. I've updated it but a new AMD machine is certainly going to be my Summer build project.

Currently running:

P4 630 3.0Ghz Prescott LGA775 Processor
    Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI MB
    4 Gig of Kingston DDR2 667MHz
    Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT SLI vid card
    2 WD 200 Gig Sata drives
    1 WD 500 Gig Backup drive
    SoundBlaster Audigy II sound card
    DVD Rom drive
    DVD-RW/CDRW Drive
    Lian Li Aluminum case
    Thermaltake squirrel cage coolers with front panel controls...

Anybody else?

6. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I built my first PC out of parts in my grandfathers basement when I was 9. What I ended up with was the equivalent of an IBM XT with some of the nifty bells and whistles that would have cost thousands when it was new. A 10mb hard drive for instance. It had a 4.7mhz (I think) processor, and the full 640K of ram. I also had the high-density 5.25" floppy drive. I also had a 2400 baud Hayes external modem for it, I used to get on BBS.

I ran that rig for a few years before upgrading to my father's old 25mhz 386. I've been addicted to computing ever since.

My current machine is a basic computer/mild CAD rig I built up last year.

LGA 775 P4 @ 3.06ghz
    Intel Desktop board
    2gb Corsair value DDR2 533
    ATI X550 256mb PCI-x16
    250GB SATA HD
    DVD burner

7. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    Intel E6400 @ 2.8GHz
    Gigabyte DS3 mobo
    EVGA 8800GT
    X-FI sound card
    4GB Corsair XMS
    250GB HDD
    320GB HDD
    2 DVD drives
    22" Samsung LCD
    Logitech 5.1 speakers

I think thats about it.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    :banger:

Just got one of those, awesome monitors.

9. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    Yeah its pretty nice and I have been thinking about getting a second so I can run a dual monitor setup again.

10. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Spent most of my working career in and around computers. Started way before PC's came along. Mostly designed and wrote specs for business software applications on main frame IBM computers. Programmed in several languages during the early years but never lost my preference for good old simple COBOL. Maintenance cost of business software over its life span usually exceeds the original development cost by a large ratio. When I first started in computer field with Coastal States Gas in Corpus Christi, we had an IBM 360/40 with 256 K (NOT MEG or GIG) of main memory. Everyone else in town was running with 32K or 64K. Our 256K was divided into two partitions of 100K each plus 56 K for operating system. I wrote a COBOL program back around 1968/9 which wouldn't compile in 100K and it was the main topic that week in our DPMA meeting. That program had an internal sort with a preprocessing section and postprocessing section plus buffers. Wasn't hard to whittle down the program so that it would compile but that didn't lessen the initial shock.