• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    My wife wants to get her CHL and a new weapon to go with it. I have a kimber ultra carry 2 .45 and love it, but it's a little big for her. I've been looking at 9mms and want y'all's opinion on what I should go with. I love the new springfield emp, but it's pricey. I'd kinda like to stay under 600 if possible, but I want to make sure I get a reliable, dependable weapon. What do you think?
    Venture Surplus ad

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Let her handle and shoot as many as possible and let her pick the one that she likes best. My wife chose a S&W 910S, which is very reliable and was less than $600 brand new at a big gun show - but everyone is different. If she likes single-action pistols then how about a Browning Hi-Power? Don't know that those would fit your budget however.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Off to the gun store and put a bunch of pistols in her hands. See what fits her hand and what she likes.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Make sure she can use a semi auto by letting her see one and have her try to pull the slide back.If she has problems then start her with a revolver.I had five older women this week come into the store for the bersa 380s and none of them could pull the slide back.Ended up selling them Taurus 85 snubs so they could use them for the CCL class.All of the ladies passed with the 85s.

woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    I think a Kahr PM9 would be an excellent choice, atleast to try out. Even the +p 9mm rounds are easy on the hands in that model.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I had my wife shoot many weapons when we looked for her a pistol and she ended up liking a 40S&W in a Beretta 96D, so she has a Beretta 96 vertec Inox with night sights.

Nice for her, the vertec has a slimmer grip (1911ish) versus the standard Beretta grip. I've shot a Beretta 96 and M-9 in the service and like the vertec grip of her's...It is a lot like holding my 1911.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I'd have to agree with most people here. Anywhere you ask that question, the best answer is to get her to hold and shoot different guns. If ya'll can't manage to getting around to do so, then I'd suggest at least taking her to a few gun shops. That way she can hold different types of guns. Get her to function test them and see what see is most comfortable with. My wife liked the airlight .38 special revolvers at first. A few gun shops later, and she had her eye on a Taurus PT-111 Pro Millennium 9mm. She went with the Taurus and still loves it....( she scares my friends since she knows how to use it so well ). But your wife may like something bigger....maybe something smaller. I hear some guys wives moving up to .45's, but I doubt mine will. She seems to really like her 9mm, and hated my .40 before I traded it in. Good Luck!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My wife settled on the Taurus PT-111 Millennium in 9mm too. She bought the pink and stainless one you can only get at Gander Mtn. She used it to qualify for her CHL and now packs pink. It was only $400, so you can stay under $600 even with a holster and some ammo.

I'd just take her to a few gun shops and see what feels comfortable to her.

Roadkill Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We can all suggest guns we like, but it don't mean diddly squat. Like most have said, let your wife decide. I sold guns for years, and I've seen too many men try to get their wives to like what they thought was the best gun, only to see them both frustrated. Like mac79912 said, many women, young or old, can't work the slide. Many hate loading magazines (as in "it hurts my thumb," or "it will mess up my nails"). Some can't find a grip they like. So, that leaves revolvers. You can't get any simpler than a revolver, and for a first gun, sometimes simple is best. No magazine running through the grip. No magazine to mess with at all. Hardly ever any mechanical problems. No jams to clear. Easy to load. A .357 will give you three levels of power: .38 Special, .38+P, and the magnum loads.

I promise you, if she doesn't like to shoot it, she will not practice with it. So, let her rent and shoot several different guns, and then let HER decide.

(That way, if she doesn't like it later, you can always say, "But Honey, that's the one YOU wanted . . .):D

tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    Thanks guys. I took her up to the range this weekend and we shot a few different ones. She's pretty strong and didn't have any trouble pullin the slide or shooting my Kimber ultra carry, and the springfield m1911a1 full size. We tried the springfield emp, Kahr, and a s&w 357. She wants a Kimber. So I'm just gonna have to cough up the dough. I appreciate y'all's suggestions, I took em and I think she's gonna be happy.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I realized pretty fast when helping my wife pick a pistol I was opinionated. It was decided I would stay at home while she went to Collectors firearms in Houston so she could choose on her own from their large collection.

She came home and told me she wanted Walther P99 in 9mm. Not my first or tenth choice but she made up her mind and I had agreed to be supportive so one was purchased shortly after.

I ended up taking that contraption to a subgun class in Illinois since it was a 9mm and I was not terribly worried about loosing it in Chicago. Well after a week with the darn thing I fell in love. Now we have two of those Walther's in the house, one with a suppressor.

Legal Notice === In no way does the above statement imply my wife was correct or RIGHT, I am only admitting not being informed about the Walther P99 to which the Walther and Smith & Wesson marketing folks must take fault.:( I'm still offended she wanted this instead of the P7 I had given her a couple years prior.:confused:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Thanks guys. I took her up to the range this weekend and we shot a few different ones. She's pretty strong and didn't have any trouble pullin the slide or shooting my Kimber ultra carry, and the springfield m1911a1 full size. We tried the springfield emp, Kahr, and a s&w 357. She wants a Kimber. So I'm just gonna have to cough up the dough. I appreciate y'all's suggestions, I took em and I think she's gonna be happy.

Just put Kimber grips on the springer. Save some money.

Top Bottom