• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    For those that keep a pistol in your vehicle where and how does it ride? I've got a Ford Ranger and usually just keep one in the drivers side door panel but would like to get something to keep it from rattling around in there. I know they make holsters to strap on your seats and such.....anyone try one of these? Any other suggestions?
    Capitol Armory ad

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I drive an F-150 and keep a piece in the flip-down console in the middle. It's holstered in there, and happens to fit pretty snug - I can even flip up the console to let someone sit in the middle seat and it rides well.

I've seen a holster recently that's made to velcro to surfaces. Can't remember the brand at the moment...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's the Desantis holster I'm sure many of us have seen the ad for in various gun magazines:

http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html

Just fyi, I think I should point out that the Texas law regarding vehicle carry of handguns specifically states that it must be concealed. I'm no legal expert, but I would think even if a little bit of the gun was still visible if storing in a door pocket, that might be a potential legal problem so at least throw a towel over it or something IMO.

Personally, I carry my P220 in the center console of my Maxima. It's just large enough I can fit the gun in with the 8rd mag and an extra 7rd mag as well. Ultimately, I would like to come up with a better solution so that I could get at the gun faster if God forbid something happens and it becomes necessary. As it is now, I have the gun sitting barrel forward, so I have to cant my hand at an odd angle to grab it, and can only obtain a strong firing grip after pulling it out. That takes longer to do than I would prefer. I have considered the Desantis holster above and simply covering it with a small hand towel or something so that it is still "concealed". Unfortunately I don't think there isn't enough room between the side of the driver seat and center console for me to possibly use a holster like that Desantis one in that position as that would be preferable to me since it would be a more natural draw stroke, plus would allow me to keep most of my body in the way to aid in retention while drawing.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Thanks HK_Fiend,
    That's what I'm looking for. I think I'll order that and put a seat cover over it, cut a slot in the seat cover just enough so I could grab the firearm if need be.

I do keep a small shop towel covering it up in the door panel right now. Just don't wanna risk it being seen by the wrong person. ;)

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I have seen guns carried many ways in many vehicles. Stuffed between the seats when there is no center console, carried in a man purse that attaches to the seat belt shoulder strap, above the drivers head in an overhead storage compartment, the seat mounted holster you are speaking of and though they are all acceptable, concealed is the law. In February of 07 I had to get a new car and because I drive so far to go to work was looking for something economical. I was also looking for something with al lot of cabin head room and found it in the Nissan Altima. Something I found, unexpectedly was a great storage area I could put my gun into while driving. As I enter the vehicle I slide it out of my holster and slide it into the cubby below my radio. I have a piece of 1/2" foam in there to keep the gun, extra mag and light from bouncing around. As I exit the car I remove it and slide into the holster. No you cannot purchase it unless you buy the car, but I thought it might be of interest. As you can see though, my Taurus PT-145 fits in there like a glove.
    P1010001.gif

P1010003.gif

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Grassburr in Mckinney, TX. makes a very nice holster that you can mount to anything. It is available with a vertical, horizontal, or pipe mount bracket. You can get the holster in leather (very nice) or nylon.

I have a leather one mounted under a table (in the house), which nobody has ever seen (besides me & the wife). You can mount them in a vehicle, on an atv, under a table or desk, behind a bed, behind a cabinet.....you get the idea.

They are very nice people, they make a high quality product, and they are in TEXAS. My leather one is first-rate, very nice unit.

Here is a link:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...mages?q=atv+holster&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the link Kingofwylietx. That looks like an excellent holster, plus I like the idea of supporting a Texas-based business.

Tex, that looks like an excellent area to store your gun, and it looks like it is pretty quick/easy to get to. Nice job. I just wish I could find a location like this on my Maxima.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    For those that keep a pistol in your vehicle where and how does it ride? I've got a Ford Ranger and usually just keep one in the drivers side door panel but would like to get something to keep it from rattling around in there. I know they make holsters to strap on your seats and such.....anyone try one of these? Any other suggestions?

This is not a permanent answer to your rattle problem but until you can find a permanent solution you might try placing your pistol in one of those purple Crown Royal bags. That's what I do. And as a side benefit you get to drink some pretty good whisky. I suggest getting a new bag often!;)

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I keep a back-up pistol in a map compartment on top of my dash, but my main weapon is always on my person, in either an IWB holster worn at 3:00 or in a shoulder holster (on a really long trip). I don't want to separated from my main pistol for any reason while gassing up, at a rest stop, in a restaurant, whatever.

plexreticle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I keep a back-up pistol in a map compartment on top of my dash, but my main weapon is always on my person, in either an IWB holster worn at 3:00 or in a shoulder holster (on a really long trip). I don't want to separated from my main pistol for any reason while gassing up, at a rest stop, in a restaurant, whatver.

Words to live by.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    More on vehicle carry

I have easy access to my HK P2000 in the driver's door map case on my Porsche Boxster. It makes an easy cross draw situation since I'm right handed.

I have room for my Beretta 92FS Inox as well but that starts getting a little tight.

redintex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Definitely lo-tech, but I have found that whatever I choose to carry sits well between the console and passenger's seat of my Mustang in the rug that I carry it in. This does not include what I carry, but as long as I am driving alone (99% of the time), it is a perfect setup. Stays put, easy to draw with just the end unzipped, and just use a dark kitchen/hand towel to cover. The towel closely matches the dark interior and that, along with tinted windows, makes it just about impossible to see.

My .02,
    redintex

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I usually keep my carry in the map pocket in my car. It will fit any of the pistols I have just fine. I also have a center CD compartment, but it has a translucent window on it. It has a small light that shines in there when the door opens, so it wouldn't be really good unless I took the bulb out.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    99% of the time it's on my hip in the car.

I'll occasionally put mine in a padded pistol rug, leave it unzipped, and it fits perfectly between either seat and the center console in my Titan. I can also put it in the door compartment without it rattling around at all.

dexterescoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    When im in my car driving, I usually keep my gun tucked under my left thigh. U dont have to reach far for your gun if u ever need it. Easy access

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    This is not a permanent answer to your rattle problem but until you can find a permanent solution you might try placing your pistol in one of those purple Crown Royal bags. That's what I do. And as a side benefit you get to drink some pretty good whisky. I suggest getting a new bag often!;)

The crown royla bags work very well. The only problem is that you get to drink CANADIAN whiskey. not that i'm against canadian whisky just not a big crown fan. now if Knob Creek qould come out with some slick lil bag then i am there. lol

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    The crown royla bags work very well. The only problem is that you get to drink CANADIAN whiskey. not that i'm against canadian whisky just not a big crown fan. now if Knob Creek qould come out with some slick lil bag then i am there. lol

I tried some Knob Creek recently and it was pretty good. I still have about a third of a bottle of Crown Royal Cask No. 16, that I got for Christmas last year I sip on occasionally. But I've got more Crown Royal bags than I care to admit to.
    Last year we spent a week in St Thomas. On the flight home I bought a whisky & coke. The whisky turned out to be Black Jack. I had forgotten how good Black Jack was so I recently bought me a bottle for a little relaxed sipping. I don't drink a lot anymore but I still enjoy a good drink or three occasionally.
    All that said, I apologize, I think I have veered away from the original subject matter.:sign0101:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    give jim beam black a try. you wont be sorry

back to the thread...i once saw a holster similar to the one HK_Fiend posted on page one but instead of it being placed at the front edge of the seat it was mounted back by where the back and bottom of the seat meet at the pivot point. seemed to me like it would really get in the way on some model cars. also didn't seem like a great place if there is rough weather
    seatholster.gif

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    give jim beam black a try. you wont be sorry

back to the thread...i once saw a holster similar to the one HK_Fiend posted on page one but instead of it being placed at the front edge of the seat it was mounted back by where the back and bottom of the seat meet at the pivot point. seemed to me like it would really get in the way on some model cars. also didn't seem like a great place if there is rough weather
    seatholster.gif

Not to mention it would become unconcealed every time you opened the car door.

Top Bottom