• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noelnkeith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    Hi, I'm new to the forums and was looking for something with all things concealed carry- concealment guns & prices, concealment ideas, ect.... Let me know if I'm missing the place or if this is the start, I think I'm missing it somewhere but I know this is a newer site. My wife's CCL is on the way and she has a 32mag revolver and I'm looking for a conceal gun for June when I send my App in, thanks

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hi, I'm new to the forums and was looking for something with all things concealed carry- concealment guns & prices, concealment ideas, ect.... Let me know if I'm missing the place or if this is the start, I think I'm missing it somewhere but I know this is a newer site. My wife's CCL is on the way and she has a 32mag revolver and I'm looking for a conceal gun for June when I send my App in, thanks

You are welcome to start some threads in the pistol forum, or in the CHL sub-forum. We can develop a better CHL article list as time goes on.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's a thread that contains links to pretty much everything you need to know regarding CHL's:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94

Also, do you have any specific questions as far as types of carry guns, types of holsters, carry methods, etc? Personally, I prefer a carry gun that has a decent sized grip. Many compact carry guns, like a Glock 26 for example, have a relatively short grip that most people can only get two fingers around. While some people deal with that just fine, for myself I want to be able to get a good, solid grip on my gun so that if I have to draw in a hurry I'm not fumbling around with it. That's just one thing to consider.

Second, carry method. There are about as many of these as there are guns. Personally I prefer to carry at 3 o' clock on my strong (right) side. For me this allows a good, solid, and quick draw if necessary. Some people carry at the small of the back, and sometimes at varying degrees like 45 degree and 90 degree angles. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to contort my body or arms at weird angles if I have to draw my gun all of a sudden. I want a position that allows a much easier and more comfortable draw stroke. To each their own, that's just the way I feel. Also, another thing to consider is retention. For some reason I just do not like the idea of having my gun holstered out of my sight line (meaning around the small of your back). Someone could potentially fight you for your gun, and IMO you'd have less control over retaining it with it out of your sight like that and considering you'd have to contort your body at odd angles. A good 3 or 4 o' clock carry keeps the gun out of the way, but still puts it close enough that you can get a solid hold on it with one hand or possibly two if someone is fighting you for it.

As far as holsters, what type do you prefer? Personally, I like Kydex and really don't like leather holsters for some reason. I don't know why, maybe it's just the "tacti-cool" aspect of Kydex or something. ;) For Kydex holsters, here are some great companies:

http://www.comp-tac.com/
    http://www.blade-tech.com/
    http://www.fist-inc.com/

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY FOBUS! Their stuff sucks, they suck, they make the worst holsters ever. Their cheapo plastic ones are just plain ridiculous. Watch this video and find out why:

noelnkeith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    thnaks guys, I finally found some of the concealed threads and I'm looking through them, I haven't bought my concealed gun yet so I'm going to head to the gun show and see what's comfortable, I'm guessing they let you handle some items and check them out cause I've only handled my instructors 38 with a hip grip on it and it was nice, but I know there's other guns and methods of concealment so let the journey to find the right one for me begin, thanks again and I'll see you in the forums.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just curious but, where are you located? If you're local, I'd suggest going to Red's Indoor Shooting Range: http://www.redsguns.com/

If not, I would suggest finding a range local to you that does gun rentals. First try handling several types and several different guns and see what you like the feel of, then start renting several guns. That really is the best way IMO to find out what works for an individual.

noelnkeith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    I'm really not as concerned with the feel as I am comfortable concealment, I figured I could get comfortable with almost anything with enough shooting, I'm just concerned with pulling off concealment without having to worry about it being seen or have it be uncomfortable, I'm sure experience and handling will help me figure this out along with a few gun shows to see all the methods. My instructor had a 38 with a hip grip(barami) on it so that's all I've seen it wasn't a bad option, but that's all i have to go on at this point, thanks

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I wouldn't be looking for a carry gun based on what you think will be the best way to conceal, but the best carry gun for your needs and what you're comfortable with, then worry about concealing it.

There are a lot of good ways to carry concealed but a lot have to do with how you dress when you'll carry and your lifestyle. Obviously big and/or heavy guns are harder to conceal. I carry a heavy all steel commander sized 1911 without any problem. I do however see how less weight would be nice, and better, a shorter grip would make it easier and more comfortable.

There are guys and ladies I know that carry full sized, 5" barrel 1911's easily. I'm a small frame guy and I carry a Kimber Pro Carry HD which is a 4" barrel but the same frame. The barrel length isn't as much of an issue as the grip size.

I'm working on getting my hands on a Kimber Compact which is an officers frame with a 4" barrel and it has an alum. frame so it'll be lighter and smaller grip that I can carry in the same holsters I use now. But first and foremost, I'm already comfortable with a .45 ACP. But I could get either one of these in a 9mm if I wanted to, which would actually make a good carry gun for someone that wanted to carry a gun that would be easier to stay comfortable with handling.

I'd be asking myself what gun I'd be the most comfortable with, that serves the purpose for carry, then look at ways to conceal.

Oh, and plan on spending some decent coin for good equipment to carry with. And even buying things that you think will work but turn out to not work out as you hoped. I've been lucky and only had to try 4 holsters to find 2 that work for me. But selling good quality leather is easy. I ended up making enough by selling the 2 that didn't work out to almost pay for the 2 I use now. :p

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom