• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyrod40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2016
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I need some advice. I plan to carry concealed this fall using constitutional carry after getting some training, taking a course or two on the law and buying some insurance. I am not new to firearms, but don't shoot enough and have no knowledge of concealed holsters. I have tried to learn about them, but find I am getting confused about all the options. Could the members please give me and other new potential concealed carriers some lessons about holster selection. Start with the basics such as IWB vs OWB vs ambi, where you wear the holster, belts, materials, features and whatever I am overlooking. I personally am 5'8" and 160#, but was hoping not to have to get a new wardrobe to conceal the firearm. I am retired and wear shorts and a light nylon belt and tee shirt probably at least seven months of the year. I plan to carry a P365xl with a RDS. Thanks in advance.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you don't want to buy new pants and you can wear your shirttail out, go OWB.

You have to choose where you carry. Personal taste. I carry at 3:00-4:00.

The belt is more important than the holster. If you are wearing a light nylon belt, that will likely not work well at all with any holster. Might want to consider a shoulder holster worn under the shirt.

A good steel insert belt is the best.

Holsters also a personal preference. Being old school, I prefer leather.

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Might as well start an oil thread on a car forum. Any way you go, you will need a sturdier belt regardless of how you carry. With a P365xl, you‘re probably looking at either IWB or OWB. Sometimes, it’s just trial and error as to what works for you. Most of us have a drawer full of holsters we don’t wear anymore. Welcome to the forum. Somebody will come along with more experience with the P365.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have to agree with oldag. I used to wear concealed carry, and at work I still have to. I have quite a few IWB holsters and even a couple shoulder holsters, but now wear OWB pretty much exclusively. I bought an Alien Gear holster belt when I used to wear their IWB, and it works very well for the OWB holster. Remember, as long as it is covered, it is concealed.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    You won't have to get a new wardrobe. But you need a good belt. Like others have said you'll most likely try multiple holsters. I don't carry appendix. I prefer strong side behind the hip. Usually iwb with shorts. Owb with jeans. The 365 conceals easily with a t-shirt. You just have to find what works for you. Kydex, leather, owb, iwb, retention level etc are individual preferences. Which options are confusing?

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    My day to day carry starts with a Nexbelt EDC belt, then I strap on a Glock 43x or Glock 19 in an IWB Tier 1 Concealed T1-M holster on my right hip.

I haven’t found any way to carry appendix and sit comfortably. The people that do it must be sticks or something.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Concealed carry is a commitment. You dress around it. Belt and cover garment are required regardless of how you choose to carry, even in your pocket. Always use a holster. Not just tucked in your waistband or dumped in your pocket with out a holster.

Dont go cheap on the belt or your pants and gun will be around your ankles at best, skidding across the floor at worse.

The holster is personal preference as is carry position and those will determine type of cover garment.

A size larger tshirt or a cover shirt at a minimum .

I carry a Glock 19. Have for decades. I carry IWB at 4 o'clock in a Kydex IWB holster. CompTac brand. Comptac mag carrier. Owb.

I use a polo over Tshirt or thin button up over shirt. Again it's a commitment so not always the coolest.

I always wear a tshirt as I dont like the gun touching my skin. I use inky a Kydex holster fou r IWB carry as leather soaks up sweat and salt and will eventually rust even a Glock.

My pants/shorts are a size bigger as are my shirts.

If done properly, concealed is concealed, no one will know. Trust me, I've known people carry in places that are high visibility no gun locations full of police or security looking for weapons and short of metal detectors no one knew.

Carry in a pocket, use a proper pocket holster. You still need a good belt and something to ensure you dont print. And nothing else goes in that pocket. You dont phuck around with your gun regardless of where you carry and definitely dont want to be reaching in a pocket with a gun for keys etc.

Top tip. Plan on how you will use the bathroom when out. Again you dont want your pants or gun falling around your ankles or the floor. If your on a shitter where will you put your gun? I promise you if you take it off and set it on the TP or ass gasket dispenser or anything else you will eventually forget it. Again you dont want it on the floor or seen outside the stall. You dont want to be that retard who left his gun in the stall or got seen cause it's around his ankles on the floor visible under the stall.

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Check out the line of gun belts from Kore Essentials. I’m really happy with mine. I really like the ability to make micro adjustments to the fit throughout the day.

Notice that they sell gun belts and regular belts. You want the gun belt.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Versacarry belt and holster. Belt is 2 layers of water buffalo, I don't think it could be worn out in a lifetime.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I've carried concealed many different ways. At first, I too was hoping to not have to change my style of dress. I started out with a Cross Breed IWB holster, and they are very comfortable. You can tuck your shirt in between the gun and your belt.

But I learned very soon that this one thing is a must for me. TWO SHIRTS!

I now wear an undershirt every day. The ones I wear are thin, light weight, and as cool as possible. Why? To keep the gun or the holster from coming into contact with bare skin. IWB or OWB, concealed requires a cover shirt. I have to have anther shirt between me and the gun. Sweat, motion, etc. over the course of a long day will rub you the wrong way.

And I second what has been said about the belt. No holster in the world is worth a flip if attached to a flimsy belt. I gave up my western style belts and bought a good gun belt years ago.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I use holsters that have a sweat shield, which puts leather between my skin and the gun. Takes care of chafing and sweat. Then only have to wear one shirt.

Bigfoot makes good belts.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I use holsters that have a sweat shield, which puts leather between my skin and the gun. Takes care of chafing and sweat. Then only have to wear one shirt.

Bigfoot makes good belts.

That makes sense. But for me I still get rubbed raw from leather rubbing on my side. Maybe its the salt in the sweat.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I've never in thought about the belt before. I have stiff regular belts so I guess it hasn't issue. That being said, I bought a magpul belt because it's called the Tejas and I've never seen a plastic belt. I'll find out tomorrow if it's any good

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I make and sell a fair number of holsters, and there is one absolute...EVERYBODY is different. What works great for one person is a miserable, uncomfortable POS for somebody else. Get the plastic (or cardboard) box to hold the holsters that don't work for you. Might be none, might be half a dozen.
    Get the good belt as suggested, and decide how you will carry. IWB, go up one pant size. OWB, slightly larger or heavier cover garment.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I make and sell a fair number of holsters, and there is one absolute...EVERYBODY is different. What works great for one person is a miserable, uncomfortable POS for somebody else. Get the plastic (or cardboard) box to hold the holsters that don't work for you. Might be none, might be half a dozen.
    Get the good belt as suggested, and decide how you will carry. IWB, go up one pant size. OWB, slightly larger or heavier cover garment.
    Unfortunately, if I get a shirt to fit my gut it works just fine with OWB. :(

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I, too am retired and wear cargo shorts most days.

I agree with this from an above comment: "But I learned very soon that this one thing is a must for me. TWO SHIRTS!"

Continuing, IWB/OWB, still T-shirt under, nylon fishing shirt outer. I bought a P365, but carry GLOCK 19 mostly, carried G26 while still working. A belt is essential; I use various GALCO nylon or leather. It is easier to keep an IWB concealed and there isn't significant comfort difference. You MUST learn to "dress around your gun", it takes a while to get the hang of it. I got so used to it that I will pat my side just to make sure it is there.

More advice from this OLD MAN: ALWAYS carry, always ! Make sure you have enough ammo. I plan to shoot a bunch, if I have to, until the Cops arrive. Make sure you can "draw" with one hand and minimal difficulty. Not "quick draw", but just deploy with minimal fuss.

Also, get your CWP, CHL, CL or whatever it is called today. Even if you think you don't "need it", you do. It instantly tells any LEO that you can pass a background check and aren't a B.G.

Lastly, learn the laws.

Good Luck and may GOD Bless you !

leVieux

Top Bottom