• Status
    Not open for further replies.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To give you an idea of the preponderance of the misconception of felony=federal, I polled my lab of graduate and PhD level engineers and all concurred that if you committed a felony, you had broken a federal crime.
    OK, but you used the term in your diatribe over lousy CHL instructors and students who seemed not to know the law. That, my friend is akin to the pot calling the kettle black.

Would it not now seem obvious that touching on some of the federal aspects of carrying concealed are very pertinent in the CHL class?
    I never said it was not pertinent. You insisted that it was part of the Texas laws, and instructors were "supopsed" to teach it. That is just not true. You then maligned instructors who did not teach it the way you "thought" is should be taught. The fact is federal laws are not covered in the CHL curriculum nor are instructors required or encouraged to teach it.

My instructor covered some of these topics and I either didn't understand or have blurred the technically specific details that we are now debating.
    That is quite understandable. Now you see that it is easy to forget or even blur what you were taught, and has nothing to do with "instructors who suck". Unless you are saying now that you think about it, your instructor sucked.

From the post on this forum in September of this year that seemed to settle most of the debate, 39CFR232.1 is where post office carry is most nearly define. It would seem to be a fitful criticism of CHL instructors that fail to speak about this most - seemingly - confusing of topics. Mine settled it by telling us not to carry past the metal detectors into the counter area, that seems pretty fair to me.

Again, Instructors are not taught federal laws nor how they apply to CHLers. It is not a course topic. Unless the CHL instructor has specific training regarding those federal laws he might or might not be giving the proper information. As you have pointed out, it is a debated topic on most gun forums.

And I have never been to a post office with metal detectors. Don't know where you have seen that, either. Fair is not necessarily the law or proper.

The bottom line is you spoke out of school and attacked a bunch of people (instructors) without knowing the facts. More than that, you were just flat wrong.
    Target Sports

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    OK, but you used the term in your diatribe over lousy CHL instructors and students who seemed not to know the law. That, my friend is akin to the pot calling the kettle black.

The bottom line is you spoke out of school and attacked a bunch of people (instructors) without knowing the facts. More than that, you were just flat wrong.
    In an effort to clear the air to some extent - it was not my intention to offend the entire group of CHL instructors and say you suck. My word choice was poor. I will admit that I was not aware that CHL instructors were not directed to teach any aspect of federal law that a Texas CHL holder might violate.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings and am sorry that we can't hug it out, only fearing you would want more.

Thank you for teaching me about the difference between class III felonies and third degree felonies and that felony does not equal federal. Peace out - I need to study for my Digital System Design using VHDL exam tomorrow - it's not as easy as it sounds.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In an effort to clear the air to some extent - it was not my intention to offend the entire group of CHL instructors and say you suck. My word choice was poor. I will admit that I was not aware that CHL instructors were not directed to teach any aspect of federal law that a Texas CHL holder might violate.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings
    My feelings are not hurt. It bothers me when anyone denigrates an entire group of people, even when a member of that group actually screwed up.
    and am sorry that we can't hug it out, only fearing you would want more.
    Not unless you are a really cute woman. Then we can banter.

- I need to study for my Digital System Design using VHDL exam tomorrow - it's not as easy as it sounds.
    Although I have no idea what that is, good luck on the test.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    And I have never been to a post office with metal detectors. Don't know where you have seen that, either. Fair is not necessarily the law or proper.

Every Post Office in Austin (at least South Austin) has them. Mockingbird Station by me and David (djspump) has them.

Unless the detectors are for detecting people stealing the free packaging. :p

Maybe I'll walk into the office with a bare slide to see if it sets it off, or I notice anything.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    This argument has raged on as long as Texas has issued CHLs. There are 'apparently' conflicting federal statutes addressing weapons in a post office, but nothing in the Texas Penal Code (that I am aware of) that addresses concealed carry in a post office. The question comes up from time to time, and I always advise the my students that they shouldn't carry in a post office. It is not part of the curriculum, and I don't consider myself an expert on federal law related to post offices or anything else for that matter. My advice is just that... advice. Take it for what it's worth.

There probably are instructors that cover this, and assuming they know what they're talking about, more power to them. There are many ambiguities even in Texas law; many resulting from poorly written statutes, bad case law, or the fact that the statute has never been court-tested. The rule of thumb is when in doubt, don't carry; unless, of course, you can afford the consequences.

And to be honest, I've heard more than one instructor advising his/her students (in my opinion) incorrectly, so don't necessarily take everything your instructor says as gospel. In the end, you're responsible for your own actions.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Thanks Alan - bring that M1A Friday and we'll still measure the chamber. We did it for Keith's 5R, but he doesn't have either the caliper attachment to make sure he is seating properly on the ogive. He probably also doesn't have a competition seating die that seats on the ogive and not against the tip of the bullet, but one thing at a time.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    My feelings are not hurt. It bothers me when anyone denigrates an entire group of people, even when a member of that group actually screwed up. Not unless you are a really cute woman. Then we can banter.

Although I have no idea what that is, good luck on the test.
    I really wasn't trying to insult a group of people, in fact I truly do have great respect for anyone that will even attempt to educate the people ya'll do. Sorry it came off wrong. I had enough when I was the watch commander over 60+ armed guards on my ship. I had to gun up some of the least intelligent individuals that ever carried a weapon, but we were short on bodies, so that's how it goes. Thank God only one person was ever shot on my ship while I was on board. That was thanks to my supervisor giving room clearing training at 2am - or that's what he blamed it on. He evidently forgot his own sidearm was loaded and put a 115g FMJ right through the intestines of the guard that asked the question. Show him to ask a question! The guard was alright after surgery and 4 weeks of rehab. He did have a terrible scar down his neck where the corpsman decided to do the tracheotomy. Our MA1 was quickly a BM2 and off our ship for good. Master chief didn't like that kind of training.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Alan - bring that M1A Friday and we'll still measure the chamber. We did it for Keith's 5R, but he doesn't have either the caliper attachment to make sure he is seating properly on the ogive. He probably also doesn't have a competition seating die that seats on the ogive and not against the tip of the bullet, but one thing at a time.

Cool, will do.

I'll let you try out my new toy as well.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Every Post Office in Austin (at least South Austin) has them. Mockingbird Station by me and David (djspump) has them.

Unless the detectors are for detecting people stealing the free packaging. :p

Maybe I'll walk into the office with a bare slide to see if it sets it off, or I notice anything.

If they are not the very narrow walk thru devices like at airports they would not be metal detectors. There are theft prevention.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If they are not the very narrow walk thru devices like at airports they would not be metal detectors. There are theft prevention.

We have them at ours, but I never could figure out what could be stolen that would be tagged with the detection device. They even closed the little "store" inside and replaced it with more machines.

And I'd think metal detectors would cause a problem with people bring packages in that may include large enough metal objects to be detected.

Guess I'll try to find a way to ask. I sure hate pulling mine out and securing it and trying to do it so that someone walking by won't notice and freak.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin

Pretty sure you must be right on this one too. I know I've walked through there with a knife or two in my pocket and the keys and all and no alarm ever went off. There isn't that much more metal in the slide of a polymer pistol to set the thing off. I have set off the ones at the airport with a foil wrapper from a Priolosec pill in my pocket - to show how little metal will do it. I guess the bottom line (unless there are the narrow for-sure metal detectors present) being concealed is concealed. Most of the time if you're found out you have then broken two laws: Failure to conceal AND Carrrying somewhere you shouldn't have. But I think if anything now, I'm more convinced that I can carry in a post office - whether it's gray area or not. Who's gonna know?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    But I think if anything now, I'm more convinced that I can carry in a post office - whether it's gray area or not. Who's gonna know?

That's kind of the point in most cases, but........if you break the law and no one finds out, did you still break the law? Contrary to what some dumb criminals and Politicians think, the answer is yes.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I assume you intended that to either be humor, or rhetorical? The answer is an individual one thus will be different for prudently answered only to ones self.

Why is it we drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Why is it we drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway?

Okay, let's just finish this one off in one post: :banghead:

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
    Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?
    Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?
    Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
    If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?
    Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
    How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?
    If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
    If a cow laughed real hard, would milk come out her nose?
    If nothing ever sticks to Teflon, how do they make Teflon stick to the pan?
    If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?
    If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the headlights?
    Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up ATM?
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
    Why isn't "palindrome" spelled the same way backwards as it is forwards?
    Why is it that when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it's called cargo?
    If a black box in a plane is indestructible, why can't they make the whole plane out of it?
    Why is it that when you're driving and looking for an address, you turn down the volume on the radio?
    Why is it so hard to remember how to spell 'mnemonic'?
    If someone invented instant water, what would they mix it with?
    Why is it called a TV "set" when you only get one?
    Why does your nose run and your feet smell?
    Why does an alarm clock "go off" when it begins ringing?
    If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
    Why does "cleave" mean both split apart and stick together?
    Why is it, whether you sit up or sit down, the result is the same?
    Why is there an expiry date on my sour cream container?
    Why call it a building if it's already been built?
    Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
    How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?
    Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?
    Does 'virgin wool' come from sheep the shepherd hasn't caught yet?
    If the front of your car says 'DODGE', do you really need a horn?
    What do sheep count when they can't get to sleep?
    When you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
    Does fuzzy logic tickle?
    Do blind Eskimos heave seeing-eye sled dogs?
    Do they have reserved parking for non-handicap people at the Special Olympics?
    How come wrong numbers are never busy?
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?
    Why call it "take" a dump, when you leave something behind?
    What was the best thing before sliced bread?
    Why do we call it a hot water heater if the water is already hot?
    If you throw a cat out a car window does it become kitty litter?
    If corn oil comes from corn, where does baby oil come from?
    If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex in the box?
    How do they get a deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
    If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
    Is there another word for thesaurus?
    Is the color orange called that because it's the color of the fruit of the same name, or was the fruit called orange because that's its color? Which came first, the color or the fruit?
    After eating, do amphibians have to wait one hour before getting out of the water?
    How can there be self-help "groups"?
    If white wine goes with fish, do white grapes go with sushi?
    If a mute swears, does his mother make him wash his hands with soap?
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
    Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
    Is there another word for synonym?
    Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
    Just before someone gets nervous, do they experience cocoons in their stomach?
    It is hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial cost and blamed it on the cost of living.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    Why is a pear called a pear when there is only one?
    What do they pack Styrofoam in?
    Why did God give men nipples?
    Is grass really greener on the other side?
    Do boxer shorts box?
    Why do you wear a pair of panties and only one bra?
    Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
    Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    Why is it called a "near miss" when you don't hit something?
    When sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their signs?
    Before the light bulb was invented, what appeared over peoples heads when they had an idea?
    If you spin an Oriental person around and around, does he become disorientated?
    If a vegetable goes into a coma, is it called a person?
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
    Why does the word monosyllabic contain five syllables?
    If you wear an antennae to a wedding, would the reception be better?
    Why is abbreviated such a long word?
    If you put a chameleon in a mirrored box what color would it change to?
    Why do people point to their wrist when they want to know the time? Do I point to my crotch when I want to know where the bathroom is?
    Why is there an 's' in lisp?
    If you were scared half to death twice, would you be 3/4 dead or 100% dead?
    If the cops arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
    If you ate pasta and antipasti, would you still be hungry?
    If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest end up drowning as well?
    What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
    If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    If you asked a librarian where the books on self help were would they tell you, or would that defeat the purpose?
    If ATM stands for Automatic Teller Machine, why do we call it an ATM machine? And if PIN stands for Personal Identification Number, why do we call it a PIN number?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom