APOD Firearms

Concealed Carry in Texas State and Local County Government Buildings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    I knew that you could concealed carry in the state capitol building.

But, how about the rest of the state and county government buildings?

I had to renew my car registration at the tax collector building, but locked up my CC in the car just in case it wasn't allowed. On the way out, when asked CC in this building the security guy at the front desk replied no, not in government buildings.

Anyone have the specific section of the state/local law regarding this?
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Unless there is a court in the building, or an office used by a court, you can carry there. A 30.06 can legally be posted outside a meeting of a governmental entity prohibiting carry at the meeting.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    (2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;
    (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;
    (4) on the premises of a racetrack;
    (5) in or into a secured area of an airport; or
    (6) within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure, on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that:
    (A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited; or
    (B) possessing a weapon listed under this subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited.
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    (3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
    (c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
    A 30.06 sign at a government location not listed in 46.3 or 46.035 can be ignored.

Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The problem is many Govt buildings are large, how do you know if there is a court in there somewhere? If you are wrong, it is a painful mistake.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Its a great thing we have so many members who are will to help people with legal stuff. Posting penal codes, and resiting laws sure helps.
    But am I the only one who thinks you would have to pretty much have a law degree to keep up with all this stuff?
    Man, there's laws that stack on top of laws 10 fold!! How in the world could anyone be expected to keep up with all this stuff.
    Im too buisy trying to learn stuff that makes me a living and aint no way in the world do I have the time or a passion to keep up with " Is this Legal"!!

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Awesome and quick response! Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, I believe the tax collector office in Austin (Koenig and Airport) has some sort of mini-judicial office to handle traffic tickets.

I'll remember to file over mail from now on.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Our local Tax office is also the commisioners office. There's a court room in there so CC wouldnt be allowed.
    It would be nice if they had to have a gun check at the door so you wouldnt have to leave your gun in the car.

Top Bottom