• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasKaiser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Recently i heard that a concealed handgun license in Texas could cost you up to $300 dollars!! Is this a true statement and if so how much does it really cost because i plan on getting one but i would like to be informed of the price so i can begin saving for it. thanks for any input.
    Capitol Armory ad

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    The classroom instruction is pretty competitive, there are lots of folks offering it. Mine was only $90 or $100 if I remember correctly, and included all photographs, fingerprints, notarizing, etc., a true one-stop package.

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    when I took my first class it was 120.00 that included ammo and a lunch with all the other things needed.so you can find classes from 85.00 to 140.00 for the first one and renewals are running from 50.00 to 100.00 .

So I would shop around in your area and I bet you can find a good deal.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are an honorably discharged veteran, put a copy of your DD214 in the application packet to the state, and it is only $70.00 not $140.00

Also if you've qualified recently in the military in firearms, you can be exempt from the shooting qualification section of the process. I had read that somewhere.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Recently i heard that a concealed handgun license in Texas could cost you up to $300 dollars!! Is this a true statement and if so how much does it really cost because i plan on getting one but i would like to be informed of the price so i can begin saving for it. thanks for any input.

The question was answered pretty well. My class with all the goodies was $125. The state fee is on the site above.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Second Amendment Sisters and other groups will be lobbying Congress to lower the CHL state fee. Texas has the highest fee nationwide.

If you're a veteran, active military or the spouse of a police officer, your class cost is $96.00, including your packet, fingerprints, photos, notarizing, range fee, etc. Regular price is $120, or $108 with your TexasGunTalk discount.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Second Amendment Sisters and other groups will be lobbying Congress to lower the CHL state fee. Texas has the highest fee nationwide.

I've heard that, although the state fees didn't sound that bad to me. I guess other states are even better. ;)

If you're a veteran, active military or the spouse of a police officer, your class cost is $96.00, including your packet, fingerprints, photos, notarizing, range fee, etc. Regular price is $120, or $108 with your TexasGunTalk discount.

I assume those are your fees which is a separate issue from the State fees. Just don't want people reading to get confused. Good pricing, but not something set by the state.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I've heard that, although the state fees didn't sound that bad to me. I guess other states are even better. ;)

I assume those are your fees which is a separate issue from the State fees. Just don't want people reading to get confused. Good pricing, but not something set by the state.

Exactly. Sorry. I should have been more specific. The fees mentioned are what WE charge for CHL classes.

The class fee and state license fee are separate issues. The state does not regulate the fee instructors can charge for their classes. Gotta love supply and demand, and capitalism!

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009

Bottom line: TxDPS charges $140 for the license itself. That cost goes down if you are a veteran, elderly, indigent, and a few other conditions. But the max is $140 for a U.S. Citizen. Next: TxDPS charges $2 or $3 for completing the application online. That might go up soon. Then comes the training. That could range from Free to $500, depending on the instructor and the student. Most instructors charge around $100. If you have to pay for your own fingerprints, that is about $10. If you have to pay for your Photos, that comes to about $12. Then you have to send it all to DPS... that comes to about $2 or $3. So:

$140
    $100
    $10
    $12
    $2
    $2
    = $266.

There are more expenses if you are not a U.S. Citizen. If the Instructor is a friend, you are a veteran, and you know how to do your own passport photos, then the cost could be as little as $26.

My daughter took my class for free and is a Navy SeaBee. Therefore, the cost was $0+$0+$10+$12+$2+$2 = $26

If the instructor provides an indoor range, all the ammo, and the pistols for you... as well as including a meal, then the cost could go as high as $500. As for me, if you take my NRA class first, and then the CHL, the total cost there is about $400... but that is not required by law and there aren't a lot of people that do it that way. It is, however, recommended if you don't know anything about pistols. It's a waste of money if you are proficient with a pistol

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Also if you've qualified recently in the military in firearms, you can be exempt from the shooting qualification section of the process. I had read that somewhere.
    Active duty military the CHL application is $0. My CHL class $120 & fingerprints $10.

On a side note; kind of a bummer cannot have CCW on a military installation. It would be nice to have my conceal/secure pistol in my POV. I live off Post.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX

FYI; The CHL application for active duty military is free of charge. My CHL class at Oldag Guns (in New Bruanfels) cost $120... no military discount provided.
    Been there & done that.

Top Bottom