• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Salado
    This is my first time to post. I am planning to get my CHL and I have a couple of questions.

I have read many of the threads and I see the term "painting". I have inferred that this means showing that you are carrying a concealed weapon. Is this correct and why the term "painting"?

My second question is there seems to be an almost paranoid concern that one might accidentally have their weapon exposed where someone might get a glimpse of the weapon. Is there some penalty or law that you are subject to that makes the idea of someone detecting that you are carrying a weapon so terrible? Let's say you are wearing a wind breaker or coat that totally conceals the weapon and a gust of wind or an accidental snagging of the coat exposes the weapon for a moment and someone sees it. Is there a problem that I don't understand? You have made a good faith effort to conceal the weapon, but by some accidental situation, the weapon is seen. Have you committed an offense? If yes, what is the consequense of this exposure.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have not seen any answers on these forums. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
    Gun Zone Deals

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I think you mean printing. Printing means that you can see the handgun through the clothing whether you can physically see through it or your clothing rests on it or gets caught on it so that it is noticeably a conealed handgun.

Printing is not an offense.

A person commits an offense if they intentionally fail to conceal the handgun

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think you mean printing. Printing means that you can see the handgun through the clothing whether you can physically see through it or your clothing rests on it or gets caught on it so that it is noticeably a conealed handgun.

Printing is not an offense.

A person commits an offense if they intentionally fail to conceal the handgun

Yep. An accidental or inadvertent print or flash is not an offense.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Think of printing as in footprint. It's just seeing the shape or outline of the weapon through the clothing.

The downside to someone accidentally capturing a glimpse of your weapon is how they might react. Will they misinterpret the situation or play it safe and call the police? You may not be doing anything illegal, but do you want to waste an hour or so of your time letting the police figure things out?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You may not be doing anything illegal, but do you want to waste an hour or so of your time letting the police figure things out?

If it makes you feel better, while in a gas station/convienience store, I had someone tap me on the shoulder (I was working) to tell me that when a guy bent over to get something off the bottom shelf at the store, he could see a gun under his jacket. I made contact with the gentleman he pointed out and explained the citizen's concern. The man was polite and showed me his CHL and apologized for inadvertantly flashing his gun.
    It took me less than a miniute to check out his CHL and in about 2 minutes everybody was on their way.

Moral of the story: not all cops will hassle you.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Mrs. Charley was shopping in a local Walmart, one aisle over from me. She came around, and said, "I think that officer made me". She was carrying her KT P-32 in her front pocket, and if you looked closely, you could almost make out the shape. She told me, "He looked me up and down, looked like he fixed on my pocket, smiled a big smile, and went on his way". Most SAPD guys are great.

TEXAS70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Salado
    Thanks to all for the responses. I think my perception of eveyone's concern is not a fear of getting caught, but rather a sincere effort to do the right thing and keep the weapon covered.

Top Bottom